Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sleeping on side or on back in hammock

Its been a little while since I have gone. And even in the hammocks I could not fall sleep on my back, just something that is hard for me to do in general. And lately, sleeping on my side with a pad under my side between my ribs and hip has been the official sleep patter since I have a slight curve in my back. Trying to get it straightened back up.

How many of you are able to sleep on your side in the hammock, and what hammocks could be better for side sleeping?
    youtube.com/c/FancyShoesVlogs

Sorry to bring up a old topic, found some search results���� I just wanted to try and be more active in this forum.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I look at hammocks as the anti-bed - I never once thought I would be able to sleep in a hammock like I sleep in a bed (side-sleeper). I realized that I would have to practice sleeping on my back, and eventually installed a hammock in my office so I could practice sleeping on my back. That didn't work too well, until I injured my back and the only way to get any sleep was to sleep in my hammock. I spent three months sleeping in that hammock before my back healed. Since then, I have no problem sleeping on my back in a hammock.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

What happened to your back? I have 3 pinched nerves.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I side-sleep in a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC and in a Warbonnet Ridgerunner just fine. I am a full-time hammock user (home and camping). As my body weight has decreased in the past 2 years, I am able to sleep on my back for longer periods during the night - fewer snoring episodes, I guess.
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fancy Shoes View Post
    What happened to your back? I have 3 pinched nerves.
    Maybe a slipped disc - don't really know as I never went to a doctor. I haven't had a problem in six years. All I know is I'm not getting back surgery because it's notoriously ineffective - 50% of people notice an improvement after back surgery, which means that you may as well not bother. Can you believe that success rate?

My father-in law was 6' 4" tall when he had back surgery. He is now 5' 9" tall. We had to sell his three-story home and get him a one-story home, because he kept falling down the stairs. Amazingly, he still finds a way to fall down, even in a one-story home.

I can't stand my father-in-law, and he can't stand me. However, a few years ago, he called me and asked me to take him to the emergency room. I went and got him, and asked him what his problem was on the way to the hospital. He said, "Anal spasms." Anal spasms? I couldn't even fathom what that could be about, so I stayed quiet.

Of course, the emergency room treated him with prompt attention. He laid on the floor in the waiting room, groaning for four hours, before finally getting to see a doctor. The doctor discovered that he had been on opioids for a week due to his back pain, and he was severely constipated. They had to go in and remove a turd the size of Wisconsin to get him relief.

Since then, my father-in-law won't go near opioids, no matter how much pain his back causes him. Aspirin all the way baby!

I would suggest sleeping in a hammock to my father-in-law, but he's too old to listen (88 years old).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I always sleep on my side, whether in bed or hammock. I have a simple gathered end, 11' long by 54" wide. I cut a slight curve on the foot end such that the centerline is 3" longer than the edges. I find that a stiff, non-stretchy material works best for side sleeping & tossing around. I'm using RSBTR MTN 1.7 and love it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Fancy Shoes View Post
    what hammocks could be better for side sleeping?
    I'm a huge proponent for the Amok Draumr, when back sleeping isn't your first choice

side or stomach is pretty great in it (back is just fine too!)

bridges can be pretty good for side sleepers too, but depending on how you want to splay your legs, it can be harder to find the sweet spot

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    They had to go in and remove a turd the size of Wisconsin to get him relief.
    Now you have my attention...and...I am impressed, nay, proud?

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    Chameleon/TE Happy Medium/SG
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    I am like the OP in that I'm just unable to get to sleep on my back. I might end up there after I fall asleep, but it's essential I be on my side to get to sleep, bed or hammock alike.

I'm having increasingly good success with a double-layer Dutchware Chameleon in the regular width (I'm 5'7" and 130 lbs). Using a Neoair Xlite pad for now between the layers...it's fussy to get the pad positioned correctly, but once that's done, the side sleeping is comfortable enough. I use two pillows...one between my knees and a softly inflated one for my head/neck.

Off-topic...slept in the hammock last night during a wicked thunderstorm...the diamond-pitched REI el cheapo 9X9 tarp actually worked well!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast