WBBBXLC/Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB Thunder/Mtn fly
    Insulation
    WBWookie/EEEnigma
    Suspension
    DClips/BeatleBuckl
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
    What's wrong with ENO? (I'm using their latest edition atlas's). Haven't landed on my tuchus yet, but should I be worried?
    I have several sets of Atlas straps and other than being a bit heavy I believe they are an excellent choice for suspension straps. Don't get me wrong, I love my Dutchwear Beetle Buckle Suspension but I still have 3 sets of Atlas straps and they get used regularly.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear 11'
    Tarp
    Adventuridge 12'
    Insulation
    Chill Gorilla UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains
    Quote Originally Posted by ahursey530 View Post
    Don't bash ENO too badly. As a scoutmaster I see ENO hammocks as a gateway for young kids to get into hammocking. They can buy the whole setup at a local outdoor store. They fit in them nicely and complain little until the temp drops to the high 50's (and that's using a sleeping bag, no underquilt. In a pinch I can go to just about any outdoor store and get a nice (albeit a bit heavy) set of Atlas Straps if I need a strap. My son still uses his Atlas straps with Dutch Clips and Mantis on his CL's with his Eldorado.
    Then, when they get a little older and start noticing the scoutmasters setup and how comfortable it is they can't wait for Christmas so they can order that cottage vendor hammock!
    I will admit, You just described me exactly. I don't know if this would work for you, but I am going to try to convince my troop to buy a few cheap hammock setups to try and get people into hammocking, it might be interesting to do the same. Also, you should tell your scouts to try Chill Gorilla gear on Amazon (This is not anything paid or anything of that sort. As a fairly broke Boy Scout myself I love their cheap high-quality gear (They even have a UQ for ~$60) and your scouts may like it too.)
    “In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.”
    -John Muir

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Don't bash ENO too badly. As a scoutmaster I see ENO hammocks as a gateway for young kids to get into hammocking. They can buy the whole setup at a local outdoor store. They fit in them nicely and complain little until the temp drops to the high 50's (and that's using a sleeping bag, no underquilt. In a pinch I can go to just about any outdoor store and get a nice (albeit a bit heavy) set of Atlas Straps if I need a strap. My son still uses his Atlas straps with Dutch Clips and Mantis on his CL's with his Eldorado.
    Then, when they get a little older and start noticing the scoutmasters setup and how comfortable it is they can't wait for Christmas so they can order that cottage vendor hammock!
    True, ENO was the hammock that got my addiction started to hammocking! Of course, shortly thereafter, I discovered this forum, and quickly returned it to REI for a FULL refund then used that to buy my first "real" hammock, a Dream Hammock Sparrow. I also own a darien. I have yet to make a DIY hammock, but I am not inclined to do that YET. I have considered a bridge hammock from JUST BILL, as they seem awesome. For now, I am happy with the GE 11'er hammocks, both netted and netless, depending on the season. Also props to SHUG for the amazing, entertaining videos he puts out...SHUG's influence, and the DUDE abides...

Hammock
    WBBBXLC/Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB Thunder/Mtn fly
    Insulation
    WBWookie/EEEnigma
    Suspension
    DClips/BeatleBuckl
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknowing outdoorsman View Post
    I will admit, You just described me exactly. I don't know if this would work for you, but I am going to try to convince my troop to buy a few cheap hammock setups to try and get people into hammocking, it might be interesting to do the same. Also, you should tell your scouts to try Chill Gorilla gear on Amazon (This is not anything paid or anything of that sort. As a fairly broke Boy Scout myself I love their cheap high-quality gear (They even have a UQ for ~$60) and your scouts may like it too.)
    I hear ya! I have a few scouts with Chill Gorilla tarps. Not bad at all for the price.

Actually, I think Atlas straps are great. And tons of folks are enjoying lounging in ENOs. But you can get an inexpensive 11' GE netless hammock from one of the cottage vendors delivered to you door in a few days. I'd opt for having kids (their parents!) buy a hammock that you can grow into. I don't know of any experienced hanger who would buy an ENO at this point for camping.

Hammock
    trad cotton / yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    silnylon diy
    Insulation
    diy, a mix
    Suspension
    straps to becket
    I hear ya! I have a few scouts with Chill Gorilla tarps. Not bad at all for the price.
    A third vote for the Chill Gorilla stuff. I bought a couple of the tarps to use on my deck at home to cut sun, and they are now on year three of full-time three season use without falling apart. I tested a hammock setup that another person had, and it was a fine starter. I'd recommend for those who are hammock-curious.

I have several sets of Atlas straps and other than being a bit heavy I believe they are an excellent choice for suspension straps.
    Good to know. Thanks! (Scared me for a sec.) After my hammock they were my first research/purchase into the unknown. The new design (1.5" tree section and taper down to .75") is what attracted me. I don't know if it lightened them up to be competitive in weight with other systems, but seems like the majority of what I was seeing (at that time) were all 1" and under around the tree. Most... in the "under" category.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I've been at this for over 10 years now, and still use one in my storm cellar.

Worth noting: the worst night I ever spent in an ENO was far better than the ground or a cot. Light years.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123