Ridge Outdoor Gear 11'
    Tarp
    Adventuridge 12'
    Insulation
    Chill Gorilla UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains

Help?

I am going to either make or buy a top quilt soon. I am wondering how I should decide on a temperature rating? Synthetics or down? Should I make or buy? How to make or what to buy? (I am on a semi-restrictive budget)

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Man, that's a whole lot of ground to cover.

For temp rating: what temps do you normally camp in? How often do you outside of that temp range? You a cold or warm sleeper? Most people suggest starting with 20F as a good 3 season choice.

Synthetic vs. down: down sucks when it gets wet, and I would imagine tough to dry while on the trail. Synthetic is not as compressible. Do you have down allergies?

DIY/buy: are you handy with sewing or a quick learner? Do you have access to a sewing machine? If you have to buy equipment to make stuff, sometimes it's just cheaper to buy said stuff.

How to make: Google, YouTube and asking a lot of questions here.

From whom to buy: the forums here will give you a diverse group of choices. I'm a bit prejudiced, because I own their gear but I think the Hammock Gear Econ line is just about the cheapest you're gonna find that is good quality if you go with down. Folks using other vendors swear by that gear as well. HG is pretty basic with customization (pick a set length/width, inner/outer color, temp range, and overstuff amount) while other vendors you can really dial in your preferences.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear 11'
    Tarp
    Adventuridge 12'
    Insulation
    Chill Gorilla UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains
    Thanks for the very detailed response. It was very helpful!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknowing outdoorsman View Post
    I am going to either make or buy a top quilt soon. Do you need a top quilt? If you have a sleeping bag you can use that in top quilt mode.

I am wondering how I should decide on a temperature rating? Depends on seasons that you camp in. A 20º is versatile for a broad range of seasons. If you are a summer only camper then maybe a 40º will get you by. Depends on if you are a hot or cold sleeper though.

Synthetics or down? Synthetics are a bit bulkier in the pack but cost less than goose down. I swear by down. Never gotten mine wet. More expensive but generally lighter and and pack down smaller.
    Some vendors make quilts with duck down now and call them an Econo-Line. A good in between as they cost less than goose down.

Should I make or buy? Depends on if you can sew and have a sewing machine. Your time is of value as well. Though it feels good to camp in something that you made by hand. Personally I buy mine now.

How to make or what to buy? That will take some research on your part. You can search DIY on here....https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...9-DIY-Stickies
    Also search on You Tube.....https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...=diy+top+quilt
    There are kits as well and all the materials you would need.......https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collect...t-blanket-kits

(I am on a semi-restrictive budget)
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Also consider how soon you need the items. If you make, you'll have to source materials, possibly learn/practice new skills, and ultimately do the work. If you buy, some vendors have longer lead-times than others. Each vendor typically lists their current lead-times on their web page. This could range from mere days in some cases to nearly two months in other cases, and this isn't necessarily an indication of one being better quality than the other.

I'm assuming you have an UQ? If you've already invested in a down product, you may well want another.

Like Shug stated, you can use a sleeping bag and that will accomplish the desired effect, assuming you have one!

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear 11'
    Tarp
    Adventuridge 12'
    Insulation
    Chill Gorilla UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains
    Thanks Y'all!

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear 11'
    Tarp
    Adventuridge 12'
    Insulation
    Chill Gorilla UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I am going to either make or buy a top quilt soon. Do you need a top quilt? If you have a sleeping bag you can use that in top quilt mode.

I am wondering how I should decide on a temperature rating? Depends on seasons that you camp in. A 20º is versatile for a broad range of seasons. If you are a summer only camper then maybe a 40º will get you by. Depends on if you are a hot or cold sleeper though.

Synthetics or down? Synthetics are a bit bulkier in the pack but cost less than goose down. I swear by down. Never gotten mine wet. More expensive but generally lighter and and pack down smaller.
    Some vendors make quilts with duck down now and call them an Econo-Line. A good in between as they cost less than goose down.

Should I make or buy? Depends on if you can sew and have a sewing machine. Your time is of value as well. Though it feels good to camp in something that you made by hand. Personally I buy mine now.

How to make or what to buy? That will take some research on your part. You can search DIY on here....https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...9-DIY-Stickies
    Also search on You Tube.....https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...=diy+top+quilt
    There are kits as well and all the materials you would need.......https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collect...t-blanket-kits
    (I am on a semi-restrictive budget)
    Shug
    Thanks so much for the very detailed explanation. I started hammocking with nothing more than a ~$5 hammock and after that freezing (50 degrees) Scout camping trip, I have been hooked. Trying to learn everything I can to avoid that again. I was totally lost with all the options for insulation and you managed to figure out a perfect way to guide me. At the risk of sounding pretentious, All Secure in Sector Seven!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HGUQ 10 | WBDB 20
    Suspension
    Marlin Sp. Whpies
    If I was ever looking to make a quilt, I'd still buy one first. Study it, follow the sew lines and taper, try to figure out how they perfected their product... As for temp, I think you can't go wrong with 20F, assuming it's ideal for your climate range. All the cottage vendors mentioned here and there on the forum make fantastic products that you will love!

• + New Posts