Tarp
    Diy winter tarp
    Insulation
    Old Thermarest pad
    Suspension
    Diy stand
    Images

DIY Aluminum Motorcycle Stand

Hey everyone though I'd post my portable stand with some basic plans and details.

To start even though this stand is mostly aluminum it is not suitable for backpacking. The tensa4 solo is much better, and the normal tensa4 does the same thing as mine with smaller parts and less weight. To give you an idea the entire stand including stakes, lines, bolts, and the top connectors weighs in at roughly 30 ish pounds.you could cut the weight down and kind of copy the the Tensa solo and you would still come out around 10 ish pounds.

Like other diy stands on the forum this one takes ideas from others but I tweaked things to my needs and liking. The basic idea was to build a portable as light as possible stand that would fit on the back of my motorcycle or easily in the trunk of any car. This way I can camp wherever I like including the desert and state and national parks that don't allow tree hanging. This stand can also be split up for use by more than one person so long as there are some other hanging points such as cars or trees to close to hang between normally but useful with the stand. So far as I have tested it each bipod end can hold at least 300 pound (my body weight) hanging from it by itself.

The basic set up is as follows- the stand set up is roughly 5.5 feet tall and 4 feet wide is and as long as is needed for the hammock. Broken down the entire stand minus the end caps fits inside a cheap camp chair sleeve.

Cut list-
    4x. 30" of 1.25 pipe
    4x. 30" of 1.00 tube
    4x. 30" of 1.00 pipe
    4x. 6" of 1.00 tube
    4x. Connectors plates
    4x. 3/8th eye bolts
    2x. 3/8th connector nuts
    24x 1/4 bolts and wing nuts
    4x. 10' feet of guy line 5 if you want a ridge line besides the one on your hammock it's not necessary though.

Ok so a little explanation. You need the pipe and tube because they telescope into one another better than pipe to pipe or tube to tube. The key thing to remember with aluminum is to make sure you have some slop in the connection. Otherwise as you telescope it the aluminum will gawl up and weld itself inside the other sections.

So from the bottom up. Start by cutting all of your pipe and tube into the 30" sections. Then with the largest tube mark 2" in from the end and then at 4". Drill 1/4 holes at both spots. Now copy this layout on both ends of the other pipes and tubes be sure to line up your holes as best you can. I find an easy way to do this is to telescope the pieces into the ones that have already been drilled then drill through the new one. This gives you a 6" overlap on all sections.

At this point you can call it done and just use one hole in the top pipe to connect the poles. Or using the remaining 6" pieces drill holes the same way as before and weld them together at 60 degrees. I did this by laying them out on the connector plate at 60 degrees and welding them down on all sides. Then welding another connector plate on top. After this I drilled a 3/8th hole through the middle and using the long connector nut connected a pair of eye bolts.

To assemble telescope out the pieces and put a pair of bolts and nuts in each they do not need to be tight. Just finger tight is fine. Then attach a pair of guy lines to one eye set the stakes out as far as possible while keeping the angle roughly inline with the poles and stand it up. Hook up your hammock attach it to the other set and pull it taught. Next stake out that side. There is a learning curve to get the tension right but with my hammock without other suspension besides by caribiners the length comes out around 9 ish feet.

IMG_20190723_181852377.jpg
    IMG_20190723_181904973.jpg
    IMG_20190723_181912820.jpg
    IMG_20190723_181928371.jpg

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Thank you for sharing your idea.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You got a good and handy skill there to whip that stand up.
    Righto!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I like it! It's well thought out, and best part is, it works, and works for you.

Did you do your own welding? I'm impressed.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Diy winter tarp
    Insulation
    Old Thermarest pad
    Suspension
    Diy stand
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    I like it! It's well thought out, and best part is, it works, and works for you.

Did you do your own welding? I'm impressed.

Yup I own my own blacksmith and fabrication shop

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    That's sweet. What kind of bike do you have? I'd like to see how you are managing the stand storage on the bike.

Hammock
    Camelon
    Tarp
    12' Gold Armor
    Insulation
    One Tigris WInter
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    That's sweet. What kind of bike do you have? I'd like to see how you are managing the stand storage on the bike.
    Me 3, what bike are you riding and how does it work. I have a trailer so it would be much easier for me.

• + New Posts