Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies

30 standard fill -vs- 40 with 3oz overfill

Regarding HammockGear's Burrow Econ.

Can you tell me the difference between a Burrow Econ 30 and a Burrow Econ 40 with 3 oz overfill? I would assume the 40 with overfill might have a higher density than a standard fill 30, i.e. the standard 30 would be taller than the overfilled 40. According to the website, they both weigh approximately the same.

I just got a Burrow Econ 40 with standard fill and it just seems like there is too much possibility for the down to shift and leave empty spaces in there due to the low density of down. I'm considering returning it and getting the either the 30 or 40 with overfill.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by taltom View Post
    I just got a Burrow Econ 40 with standard fill and it just seems like there is too much possibility for the down to shift and leave empty spaces in there due to the low density of down. I'm considering returning it and getting the either the 30 or 40 with overfill.
    I can't tell you how many times I thought this same thing. And I believe it. Since then I've gone with whatever temp range that seemed best, then just added 1oz for peace of mind.

100% fact:
    The extra $8 won't bankrupt you
    You won't notice carrying the extra 1oz weight
    1 extra oz can't hurt (won't be TOO much)

Then you get into other possible pros like less down shift, slightly warmer rating, defense against future down loft loss, etc...

I'm not knocking the 40° Burrow, but I'll say mine is strictly for warm weather. It's the only non-overfilled quilt I have and I know it doesn't like being "pushed" to or past it's rating at all. But my others with overfill certainly can be pushed.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Rationale is solid....but 3 oz is too much. I have 2 quilts w/ 2oz and while it certainly does its job and then some, if I had it to do all over again I would stick to 1oz overstuff.

But by all means, anything over 2oz is overkill, in my opinion.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have had problems with down shifting with pretty much all of my quilts and sleeping bags. That's why I'm always opting for overfill now. How much depends on the manufacturer and the design of the chambers. I haven't seen or used the updated Burrow design, but the old Burrow could easily take 2 or more ounces (in my opinion).

I have also found, that loft is lost over time. Washing restores it to some degree, but it also causes a slight down loss. So overfill also means that the quilt will hold up better over time.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Why try to out-smart the manufacturer? Want 30, get 30. Want 40, get 40.

To me, the difference is width of baffles sewn in during manufacturing.

To me, over-stuff is different from rating.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I don't think anyone needs to outsmart anyone. But hutzelbein was right on the money with the post above. Less shifting, hedging against loft loss, and a slight bump in temp because of those things. NOT an automatic "adds 5 degrees".

But outsmarting the weather...makes me feel good!

In relation to the OP, yes, get the temp you feel you would sleep in most...THEN add 1 oz for peace of mind if you want. $8. EIGHT DOLLARS!!

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I do think an over-overstuffed (since cottage makes already overstuff) quilt can give you some confidence that some little quilt issues are not the source of you being cold, and rather you can have confidence that you need to detail your setup if you're still not warm enough. Too many times I've heard that someone was cold at 45 degrees with their 20 degree quilt, and that's definitely a user setup issue. Don't get me wrong, been there done that. I know all too personally what the pitfalls are. Blame the quilt because you don't yet have the trust in the gear and the experience to know what the real issues are. That was me at one point.

While I do believe that over-overstuffing helps minimize the effects of convection heat loss, do keep in mind that the greater density might similarly restrict the transport of your body moisture from inside to outside the quilt, possibly trapping some of that moisture inside. Possible, in the right conditions. I think that's why you should take overstuff in moderation without the absolute notion that more is better.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    I say get the temp you want, and to me, overfill is based on how it will be used. Car camping, back yard hanging, etc. just get a regular filled quilt. But if you are a major trail hound, and plan on being out several nights in a row, I like an extra ounce for insurance. Doesn't make my quilt warmer, but helps keep the loft in tack when constant use, dirt, and moisture are a part of life. Once you decide, let us know! Its always nice to see what everyone else is doing!
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

I have the Phoenix 40 econ with 3oz of overfill and I really like it so far. It is solely for 3 seasonbackpack use and I think it works out great. I have taken it down to 42 degrees and was nice and warm with midweight wool base layer on. Haven't tested it yet but I plan to this late fall, I think I could take it a few degrees below 40(will bring a pad just in case).
    I feel like the down stays put very well and loft of overfill adds the right amount of "density" to hug the hammock and keep out draft's. The post above about condensation because the density of overfill not letting it breath makes sense but I have yet to really test that because all my nights in it have been relatively low humidity.
    Anyway I'm happy with my choice and I think it's an excellent 3 season underquilt. Just for extra info my topquilt is UGQ Bandit 20 with 1oz overfill and the warmth of that is amazing and may help boost the underquilt. Not sure on that theory but something to maybe consider.
    Best of luck in your choice and results, happy trails

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whichever direction you go......
    Always remember to check and migrate your down.
    And wash yearly with a good down wash. Also throw in dryer on air fluff or low to reinvigorate the down from time to time.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast