Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LearnedHat View Post
    I like the idea - the physics of it. However, without even trying it, I think it would need to be wider, maybe a tad longer . . . and therefore, also made lighter . . . for it to work for me.

I will say that if you make a camping/backpacking shelter-sleep system that is light, comfortable, and durable and you only miss out on all of us 6’4” 240 pound guys, you’re going to have a huge success.
    I have it on good authority that in time they will try to do an XL size.
    Once they get the kinks and all worked out with this one.
    I feel change out the biners for lighter ones, a lighter tarp and guylines will knock down the weight a bit.
    The fact it sets up on the ground so easily is a plus for this design.
    Width seems to depend on the pad and the pad not wrapping up around you.

IMG_5320.jpeg
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

I also assume that R - 3 might not cut it. Of course you would know more about that than most members Shug.

R-3 and MN -20 may not work out.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LearnedHat View Post
    I also assume that R - 3 might not cut it. Of course you would know more about that than most members Shug.

R-3 and MN -20 may not work out.
    That is one reason I will have to wait to give it a proper trail on-trail. The pad won't cut this weather but I laid a GG thin cc pad beneath the Haven pad and buys me some warmth for testing.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Interesting product. At a glance I would think for those really watching the ounces, that you could make this with lighter materials and shave it down by perhaps a pound. It will never be UL, but this is one area I am willing to carry more. Sleep is pretty important...

As pointed out, a little wider might be better. Shug will have warmer weather to test in this weekend here in MN; I may get out myself.

Hammock
    Depends Many
    Tarp
    Depends Many
    Insulation
    Depends Many
    Suspension
    Depends Many
    Images
    I have been playing with mine too... I absolutely love LOVE this concept!!!

I blew out one of the baffles in their cheap pad and Derek sent me a new one next day! He rocks... Anyway in the mean time I thru in my thermarest all season neoair it is 2 inches wider at 25" but it worked okay, not ideal but okay... I really feel that Derek messed up by not going with a standard pad size... They sort of had to re-invent the wheel there and are paying for it with the pad challenges but I also believe they will overcome the challenge...

Okay so... I noticed that mine had a bit of a hump in the middle which amazed me as almost all the bridged hammocks I have do the opposite and sag a bit in the middle and yes I am comparing it to a "Bridged Hammock" as I believe this a much better design of a suspension bridge! I mean really just look at it!! Anyway, I shortened the ridge line by about 3" and got the lie I was looking for... If I use their Tarp I will have to play with the way it is mounted after I shortened the ridge... No biggie... In truth I will probably use my Dyneema tarp anyway for the extra living space, however I do love the idea of not having to stake out the tarp. Serious time saver!!. I suspect it might have some challenges with condensation and need more venting with the stock tarp...

I was working on a design similar to this out of Dyneema when I stumbled on the Haven... I have changed a lot of what I was doing and am DIYing a Haven concept out of Dyneema basically... I hope to have mine ready for May as I am headed back out to the AT for another 3 months... Even if I have to carry a bit more weight to have the versatility of this concept I am ok with it... Happy Trailz!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I was working on a design similar to this out of Dyneema when I stumbled on the Haven... I have changed a lot of what I was doing and am DIYing a Haven concept out of Dyneema basically...
    You're going to make a hammock out of Dyneema? Are you talking about DCF (Dyneema composite fabric), also known as cuben fiber? That's not going to work out too well. A few people have tried it such as WV and Dutch, but it didn't work out.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ht=cuben+fiber
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 02-29-2020 at 23:17.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Depends Many
    Tarp
    Depends Many
    Insulation
    Depends Many
    Suspension
    Depends Many
    Images
    It has been an interesting project to say the least... Dyneema hates any abrasion points, it won't stretch (which makes webbing reinforcement a challenge as the webbing stretches at a different rate) and dyneema breaks my bank account when it fails! LOL but it wasn't long ago they said it wouldn't work for tents either but Hey! I am up for the challenge! I am also not trying to follow the traditional. More will be revealed! Happy Trailz!
    Last edited by Rocky; 02-29-2020 at 23:45.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    It's going to be a very expensive experiment - and it has been done before without success. And if you're adding webbing to DCF, that's pretty weird to take a lightweight fabric and then add webbing to it (sounds like you're trying to make a spreader bar DCF hammock).

DCF makes a great tarp, but an expensive failure as a hammock. Oh well, once the hammock shreds, you can always make stuff sacks!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Depends Many
    Tarp
    Depends Many
    Insulation
    Depends Many
    Suspension
    Depends Many
    Images
    Did you get a good look at the Haven Tent Hammock my friend? This has never been done before... at all... let alone out of CF... Guess time will tell...

Hammock
    HG 10’ w/net
    Tarp
    Anything with door
    Insulation
    HQ 20*/40* UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps to con
    Well, I think the Haven looks swell and can’t wait to see on in person.

Can’t wait to see a video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast