Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ

Light-ish Hammock for camping and bikepacking

Greetings. This is my first post, having been referred here from Backpacking Light and various other camping blogs and websites. I hike and bikepack in the Northeast (NY, NJ, PA) and a friend suggested I look into a hammock to compliment my existing shelter which is a 38 ounce tarptent. Acting on the suggestion I purchased the least expensive ENO backyard model just to see if I’d even like lying in a hammock. Well, it certainly is better than the ground and it didn’t require an engineering degree to rig!

I need some specific direction as to where to look next in terms of a camping hammock that is both lightweight and packs down relatively small. By hammock, I mean the hammock with bug net, tarp etc. Honestly if it’s as big and bulky as my tent, I might just stick with the tent. I don’t need $$$ ultralight DCF fabrics, certainly not in a first purchase. I said “light-ish” in the title because I know there’s only so far you can go without getting very expensive. I’d prefer a kit but am willing to buy separate components if that will shed bulk. .

I’m 6 ft 2in, 210 pounds. Mostly a side sleeper. Not exactly graceful ( I see there are models with trap doors and can imagine falling through them!). I have the usual other sleep system items: quilt, thermarest pad, small pillow etc. I understand I will eventually need/want an underquilt.

I don’t think I’ve had a truly restful sleep in a tent in quite awhile, between cramped space and rocky uneven surfaces. So I’m willing to explore the options here.
    Thank you in advance.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    HG Wanderlust kit is a good place to start. Dutchware has starter setups.

An example of a UL set up would be Dutch Half-wit in Hexon 1.0 w/Kevlar tree straps using no-hardware options (< 12oz), HG DCF hex tarp w/guylines (<7 oz), EE 50 deg top (11.3oz) and 40 deg under (10.4 oz) quilts for a combined weight of about 41 oz (2.6 lb).

IMVHO hammocks and underquilts go together like peanut butter & jelly. Skip the pad phase if at all possible... I found them (air and CCF) utterly annoying.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DW Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DW Asym DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ/Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Becket
    The dutchware half wit is a great option but Hexon 1.0 is not strong enough for a 210lb hanger, so get the 1.6. You will be hard pressed to find a lighter hammock due to the half bug net, and it's affordable. For tarps, if you don't want to go the DCF route look into sil poly tarps from Hammock Gear, Simply Light Designs, UGQ, and Dutchware. The easiest option for a beginner will be rectangular or hex tarps with 4 guy out points. Expect to spend around $115 here.

I also wish I had skipped the pad phase. Underquilts are better in every way except for the versatility of being able to go to ground if you need to. On the east coast that should never be necessary.

Hammock
    DW Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DW Asym DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ/Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Becket
    The nice thing about getting a tarp is that you'll be able to try tarp camping if the whole hammock thing doesn't work out. It's not for everybody but it's possible to get insanely light setups if you can handle it.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Thank you both.

I'm already a happy quilt user, so I understand the value of a good UQ. And I've also had enough of my current pad. I went out for a quick overnighter Saturday and put some energy into analyzing why I never quite get a good night's sleep. It was really windy out so I had plenty of time to lay in the tent. My pad is not wide enough (my arms and shoulders hang over the edges!). In all the years I've had this stuff (tent and pad) I've never analyzed whether it works for me, I've just tolerated the discomfort as part of camping.....until a buddy mentioned hammocking.

I got home today, ran errands, and then put up the ENO backyard model and instantly wished I could have been that comfortable last night in the woods.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado SL
    Tarp
    HG DCF std camo
    Insulation
    WB DB + Wooki 20*
    Suspension
    Dyneema + Becket
    If I were starting over the Wanderlust kit from Hammock Gear would be very high on my list. It's completely turn-key and won't break the bank either.

In addition to those already mentioned, (Hammock Gear and Dutchware) look at the offerings from Dream Hammock and Warbonnet, both of which usually garner enthusiastic reviews from people who own them. Arrowhead Equipment is another vendor offering complete kits.

As a cheaper alternative to buy and try, I'd suggest first getting Derek Hansen's book, "The Ultimate Hang" which will lay out a lot of options. Spending the few bucks on the book first could save you money later.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with anybody mentioned above. I just like their stuff.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Yes, on the Ultimate Hang. I've been reading his webpage.

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    Would my weight of 185 lbs be pushing the comfort range of the hexon 1.0? I understand that with careful use it should be safe, just wondering if it likely would still be enough hammock for comfort (carry weight is really attractive for long distance hiking)?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    EE TQ / AHO UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    Would my weight of 185 lbs be pushing the comfort range of the hexon 1.0? I understand that with careful use it should be safe, just wondering if it likely would still be enough hammock for comfort (carry weight is really attractive for long distance hiking)?
    The advertised weight limit for Hexon 1.0 is 200lbs. It will likely hold much more, but that's what Dutchware has listed for the fabric. I don't like as much stretch in my hammock so I went with the 1.6 for both my Dutchware hammocks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast