DUTCH CHAMELEON
    Tarp
    DUTCH XENON HEX
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    BEETLE BUCKLES

Lightest Hammock for AT Thru Hike

Seriously considering an Appalachian Trail thru hike next March/April and am looking for some input on my hammock setup. Currently I use a Dutchware Chameleon in Hex 1.6 most often but think this is a little heavy/bulky for a thru hike. I also own an 11' netless in Hex 1.0 made by James at Little Shop of Hammocks. Below are the options I have been considering using. Any input is appreciated.

1) Add a bottom entry bugnet to my LSOH 11' netless for a total approximate weight of 462g

2) Dutchware Hex 1.0 half zipped at approximately 422g

3) Dream Hammock Darien in 1.0 oz monolite at an unknown weight (any estimates?)

BTW I am 5'10" and weigh 155lb so well within the weight limit for any of the hammocks.

Thanks everybody.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Have you checked out SLD’s Streamliner? Had one in 1.0 Robic and was sub 8oz. Also, I’m similar in size to you and am ok in a 10’ hammock.

Hammock
    DUTCH CHAMELEON
    Tarp
    DUTCH XENON HEX
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    BEETLE BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    Have you checked out SLD’s Streamliner? Had one in 1.0 Robic and was sub 8oz. Also, I’m similar in size to you and am ok in a 10’ hammock.
    I’ve only slept in 11’ but was wondering about a 10’. That’s good to know. I’ll check out the streamlined also. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I like the Half Wit. I disconnect the net from the ridgeline and turn it over when not needed which is most of the time. I'll make a loose overhand knot in the net to keep it off the ground and slightly snug to the hammock body.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

20 oz For my 10 foot SLD Trail Lair full netted hammock in Hexon 1.0 including 8' poly straps and amstel whoopies and toggles. Could probably shave some weight with a ultralight suspension. Fyi, I'm 5'10 and 180....no issues after 3 years with the hexon 1.0

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Hard to beat the 1.0 Hex. The Hex static elec issue shouldn't be a factor on the trail.
    I'd look into carrying a HUG bugnet (or just a head net) for the cold weather start and convert to a full cover/Fronkey after the weather warms. Permethrin on clothing keeps the tics off and Deet on exposed skin/hat helps with the skeeters/no-see-ums.
    P.S. I'm not a thru hiker but live along the AT in Virginia, section hike often, and often give rides to town for thru hikers. I can hardly lift some of those thru packs and they are headed to town to resupply. Yikes, how do you/they do it? My hat is off for those even attempting it.

Addition: Ha, just ran across this from the master, Shug: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=W8LRCZNhl8I
    Last edited by oldpappy; 09-08-2019 at 09:58.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    This isn't a direct answer to "What's the lightest?" - but are you sure that's where you want to loose the weight. There's a thought that "lighter" means just the same as something heavier but less heavy. Just remember you could also be giving away a level of reliability/ruggedness. That element grows in importance the further you will be hiking with the gear. Just say'n.

I wanted to like the SLD streamliner. The cat cut shaved some weight and gave a bit more visibility. But the cat cut also makes a hard edge along the hammock and I could feel it on the back of my knees each time I got in/out of the hammock. I went back to my BlackBird and others.

Another advantage of the 10 ft hammock is it can be used with a wider variety of tree distances.

I don't know the AT, only the Oregon PCT. I'm sure you'll research if you can use the hammock the whole way or need to have a go-to-ground option.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Darien in MTN 1.7 (formerly Robic) or 1.6 Hyper D.

As a UL freakazoid I've got hammocks that are much lighter, Half-wit in Hexon 1.0 to be exact, but for something like this I'd take the 1.7 Robic every time.

And cougarmeat is right... I've squeezed my 10-footer into some really sweet spots where an 11-footer simply wouldn't go. I'm 5-9/170 and DH spec'ed for me 10'x64" and it has been perfect for many a night.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

I second (third?) that you should consider durability equally with weight. Using a hammock day in day out for months will take a toll on fabric. Unless you are very easy on gear and very lucky, you would probably be replacing a lightweight hammock at least once. Personally I wouldn't go with anything under a weight of 1.3 and would probably go with 1.6.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    I’m not sure what you folks are doing with your hammocks that you’re so worried about durability. Even on a thru the amount of times one has resupplies mailed to oneself should the very unlikely happen should negate any worry.

Edit: also, poster said “lightest hammock” not “what would you take?”.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast