HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Lightest Hammock for AT Thru Hike

That there is one helluva qualifier.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dream Raven
    Tarp
    Dutch's Xenon Wntr
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Thought Process for AT Thru-hike Hammock/Tarp Choices

First post on Hammock Forums here - been "lurking" for 9 months and learning a lot about hammock camping, also in support of a planned 2020 NOBO AT thru-hike. Been back pack hammock camping for several years and am appreciating more and more the advantages over laying on the ground. Am 6'-1" and 170 lbs - so am much more comfortable in an 11' hammock. I am an engineer - so probably have over-analyzed gear choices for upcoming thru-hike. My hiking buddy and I have been testing our gear on rough trails in ME and NH, most recently, Wild River Wilderness and Pemi Loop in ME/NH White Mountains. Thoughts on hammock and tarp:

Hammock - Opted for 11' length, 64" wide (max. fabric width), for comfort, at the expense of some weight. Have a 1.3 MTN-XL Dream Raven netted hammock. At my body weight, figured I could save some hammock weight over a 1.6 oz/sqyd fabric, without going all the way down to 1.0. Been very pleased with this choice.

Tarp - We have had enough rainy set ups and nights to look for good weather protection on the AT, again at the expense of some weight. We don't want to feel like retreating into shelters for what will be many wet overnights. We want to be able to keep "making miles," without feeling like we have to stop at the next shelter in rainy weather. I also stopped short of investing in Dyneema, despite some good HF advice to the contrary. So, my choice is a Dutchware 11' 1.1 Xenon "Winter Tarp" (with doors). Thought about the 0.9 UL version, but opted for a bit more fabric strength for the long haul. Also looking for the larger tarp and doors to help in staying warm on the early AT nights down south and for space to cook under the tarp. Again, very pleased with this choice.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Welcome to HF Haze Gray. You should start you own thread for this. Up at the top go to FORUMS, Camping Hammocks, Long Distance Travel with Hammock. on the right side below the list of Pages go to Forum Tools and select "Post a New Thread"
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    DUTCH CHAMELEON
    Tarp
    DUTCH XENON HEX
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    BEETLE BUCKLES
    Thanks for the input so far everyone. Anybody have experience with a Dutchware Half Wit? Wondering if I'd be pushing my luck with this and the mosquitos on the AT.

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    I would just go with a full bugnet and minimize the fiddle factor and spend a little weight there and maybe save somewhere else. I haven't thru hiked, but have section hiked 80% of the AT and I take my Darien most of the time when I am trying to be lightweight and put in a lot of miles. Frozen (Outdoor Adventures) finished his thru hike in July that he did with a Darien (check out his channel on youtube). I think that the only thing that he said that he might change was to get a wider tarp and that his hammock worked perfectly.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    James at Little Shop of Hammocks offers an ultralight Warrior hammock (netted) that is advertised at 13.8oz. He's great to work with, so you should give him a shout out!
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Quote Originally Posted by tessiea View Post
    Thanks for the input so far everyone. Anybody have experience with a Dutchware Half Wit? Wondering if I'd be pushing my luck with this and the mosquitos on the AT.
    Lots of threads discussing it in the Dutchware subforum and YouTube videos from a quick search on the interwebs.

Personally, I think a full bugnet is a better option. If it's warm, you don't always want to cover up and with only half a net, your lower half is exposed. Pick the hammock option that works and is comfortable, since it's your home. If you have to shave weight, look at the rest of your gear and go from there.

I’d so go with a full zip

Either the half zipped or the Darien, though honestly your chameleon is fine.

I’d definitely recommend splurging on a dyneema tarp, though. They’re wonderful and don’t absorb water at all.

Going light is important but there are lots of random little things you’ll end up choosing to carry just cuz you like them.

It’s great to be light but some things are worth the weight. Just stay flexible

I carried a Warbonnet blackbird xlc and a hammock gear dyneema (then cubed fiber) tarp without doors and loved it.

I’m actually two weeks from finishing the PCT right now with the same setup; in fact I’m in a rain cloud as I type this.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions

Hammock
    DUTCH CHAMELEON
    Tarp
    DUTCH XENON HEX
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    BEETLE BUCKLES
    After all the input here and speaking with James from LSOH, I'm planning on purchasing a Little Shop of Hammocks Warrior Ultralite. Seems to be a good compromise between weight and durability. I have a few items already from James with zero issues and I love the idea of supporting a fellow Canadian.

Thanks again for all the help everyone.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tessiea View Post
    After all the input here and speaking with James from LSOH, I'm planning on purchasing a Little Shop of Hammocks Warrior Ultralite. Seems to be a good compromise between weight and durability. I have a few items already from James with zero issues and I love the idea of supporting a fellow Canadian.

Thanks again for all the help everyone.
    You won't be disappointed! He is a craftsman for sure!
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast