Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Luxury Bridge, SLD Trail Lair
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Toogle

Trail Winder UQP question

Hello !

Very first post here, about a concern with my Trail Lair and underquilt : I can't find the proper way to hang my full length Cumulus Selva so I can keep a good diagonal lay.

I've read this forum and watched many Shug's videos (Thanks to him, by the way !) but either I sleep diagonally and experiment chilly nights because of a too loose shock cord, or I feel the very tensed shock cord under my ankle, and in this case it means i'm sleeping diagonally to my underquilt !

Do you think the Trail Winder UQP can be use to maintain my underquilt diagonally, without using any shock cord ? Could I ask Jared to sew a few loops to attach my underquilt in a "Trail Winder Asym Underquilt" way ?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You may want to try to bais your UQ suspension to your foot side. See how that works in video below at 2:50 in.
    It can really help.

Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenon View Post
    Hello !

Very first post here, about a concern with my Trail Lair and underquilt : I can't find the proper way to hang my full length Cumulus Selva so I can keep a good diagonal lay.

I've read this forum and watched many Shug's videos (Thanks to him, by the way !) but either I sleep diagonally and experiment chilly nights because of a too loose shock cord, or I feel the very tensed shock cord under my ankle, and in this case it means i'm sleeping diagonally to my underquilt !

Do you think the Trail Winder UQP can be use to maintain my underquilt diagonally, without using any shock cord ? Could I ask Jared to sew a few loops to attach my underquilt in a "Trail Winder Asym Underquilt" way ?
    I would suggest just getting a trail winder ....then its set it & forget it
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

Hammock
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Toogle
    Thanks so much for your answers !

@ Shug : I've already tried the tips you show in this video, but alas my legs, soon or late, burst out the footbox during the night. And then my ankles are supported by the shock cords, and I wake up fighting against the fabric of my hammock.
    I'm going to try again anyway, if there are so many hangers happy with their underquilts, I'm certainly a good part of the problem !

@ ShortRound : Getting a Trail Winder UQP or a Trail Winder asym underquilt ? I'm tempted to buy the underquilt because of the very good reviews about it, but apex is heavier than down : my Selva is 31oz for 6.8°F comfort. How heavy would be a Trail Winder underquilt for around 10°F ?
    Also, I've spend a good amount of money in it, I'd like to use it a few years more

I'm not sure to find the better way to explain it : I'd like to use the Trail Winder protector to block my Selva diagonally (by attaching it, sewing it ?) Is it a bad idea ?

Hammock
    Trail Lair/LSOH WarriorUL
    Tarp
    ManyFly's/HG WP
    Insulation
    HG/Speer/WB
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Seeing that Shug's video, and other's advice didn't help, the only other option, other than user error, has to be the quilt.

I clicked the link to the Cumulus in your post and see that it is only 95cm at the knees, barely more than 37 inches. Unless I'm missing something, that has to be a contributing factor. The Hudson River in Shug's vid is 48", JRBs other UQs are 42", and i believe the standard is around the same as Hammock Gears UQs at 44". So you're working with substantially less width, before you even start adjusting.

Also, maybe try an UQ hook at the foot end of your Hammock/UQ, that should help hold your UQ up and in place.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I can't find the proper way to hang my full length Cumulus Selva so I can keep a good diagonal lay.

I never used the Selva, but quite a few underquilts constructed in the same way. I always had to decide: either I wanted the underquilt to not force me to lie more inline than I wanted and accept that there would be larger gaps making me shiver - or I wanted the underquilt more snug and accept the uncomfortable pressure on head and feet. I tried to find a solution that worked for me for 6 years and failed.

No, the Trail Winder UQP won't fix your problems with the Selva. It's just an UQP that hangs under your underquilt. I don't see how additional loops could hold the Selva in a better position. You could always sew the Selva onto the UQP and make a Wooki clone (similar to this). But I would rather sell the Selva and get either a Wooki or a Trail Winder Asym Underquilt.

I've already tried the tips you show in this video, but alas my legs, soon or late, burst out the footbox during the night. And then my ankles are supported by the shock cords, and I wake up fighting against the fabric of my hammock.
    I'm going to try again anyway, if there are so many hangers happy with their underquilts, I'm certainly a good part of the problem !
    Sounds like your suspension is too tight. Loosening it would fix your problem, but unfortunately means larger gaps.

@ ShortRound : Getting a Trail Winder UQP or a Trail Winder asym underquilt ? I'm tempted to buy the underquilt because of the very good reviews about it, but apex is heavier than down : my Selva is 31oz for 6.8°F comfort. How heavy would be a Trail Winder underquilt for around 10°F ?
    Also, I've spend a good amount of money in it, I'd like to use it a few years more
    Yes, the Trail Winder Asym Underquilt is a synthetic underquilt and thus is heavier than down. If you want the same snug fit with less weight, get a Wooki.

Unfortunately, there is no way to hang the Selva without running into the problems you have described. You can either do some serious DIY or get a better underquilt. I have sold almost all underquilts with corner suspension. After getting my first Wooki, there was no going back. I sometimes use my last corner suspended underquilt to boost the warmth of the Wooki. That's all it is good for these days.

I'm not sure to find the better way to explain it : I'd like to use the Trail Winder protector to block my Selva diagonally (by attaching it, sewing it ?) Is it a bad idea ?
    Sewing the Selva onto the Trail Winder UQP (or just a piece of rectangular fabric - look at extremtextil) can work, provided you do it well. You have to attach it so that it sits snug to the carrier fabric, but isn't compressed. Frankly, I wouldn't do it. It's a lot of work and you have no guarantee that the result will great. So if you don't have enough experience, I would either live with the Selva as is, or sell it and buy something better suited to your needs.

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Images
    Thanks so much for your answers !

@ Shug : I've already tried the tips you show in this video, but alas my legs, soon or late, burst out the footbox during the night. And then my ankles are supported by the shock cords, and I wake up fighting against the fabric of my hammock.

Yes apex has a bit more bulk but again , the insulation is cut on the asym lie...there is no unnecessary insulation like a traditional full length uq. If you are 100 percent sure what your lie is on the asym then getting a trail winder solves two things. Set it & forget it fit to your body & the material of the trail winder is wind water resistant. I realize you want to make what you have work, but a wb wookie or trail winder is the better solution imo. As for weights i do not have a scale so be best to email jared with weight to temp rating question.
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    This is from SLD's page on the TW...

Weight will vary depending on options chosen, but average weight for standard length Ion is 17 oz, Argon 90 is 16 oz in the Apex 3.6 oz Insulation.

...That would be a 40 degree version. Hope that helps.
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Toogle
    Many thanks, once again, for these advices and ideas ! Even if you've broken my dreams !

I won't sell the Selva, because it fit perfectly my Luxury Bridge, but I'm certainly going to buy an asym Trail Winder, or a Wookie.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Many thanks, once again, for these advices and ideas ! Even if you've broken my dreams !

I won't sell the Selva, because it fit perfectly my Luxury Bridge, but I'm certainly going to buy an asym Trail Winder, or a Wookie.
    You could put a small inflatable pad in the footbox of your TQ or sleeping bag like I do. I always do as it keeps my heels padded and feet warm.
    https://www.rei.com/product/845302/rei-co-op-sit-pad
    May keep your ankles protected from the shockcord and keep your feet warm.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast