Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    I found that using 1" EMT was not a good choice for joining 3/4" EMT. (though for a quick fix it can work). The 1" tube w/.035" wall thickness I am discussing is an industry standard size (but is not EMT conduit), The tubing I and discussing is not sold at Lowes or HD, but it is readily available.

Theguywitheyebrows
    The 1" tube w/.035" wall thickness does provide a tight fit. Tight is good. Tight is no play, no bending, more stability. It is not so tight that you cannot get them together or take them apart. Only time I had a little trouble taking apart was after a particularly rainy weekend and water had gotten into the joint. A little twisting back and forth as I pulled and they came right apart.

If your concerned, go visit a local tubing supplier and check it out first. A 2 sec. google search showed several in your area. Milford, Pipe and Supply, Midwest hose and Speciality, Steel Depot Hobbs, etc. Perhaps they could suggest an even better combo of materials than using EMT. EMT is a soft steel and not ideal, but it is cheap and readily available.
    thank you for your input! That .035" thickness tubing sounds to be the winner. i live in the oilfield and people around here are not into things like hammockry so when ever i mention it i get laughed at %90 of the time, they'd be little to no help with the better materials search but i will try a couple of them. if i'm going to be investing any kinda money into a thing i want it to last, so if there are better material options that are reasonably cheap i will dutifully report back.
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Theguywitheyebrows View Post
    i live in the oilfield and people around here are not into things like hammockry so when ever i mention it i get laughed at %90 of the time, .
    I hear that! It happens everywhere, I usually will say what I need the stuff t do but not why or what it is for. If pressed saying you working on a theater prop structure needs to assemble and dis-assembled gets through any drama.

Look forward to seeing what you finally decide on.

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions to fill the gap between 3/4" poles and 1" emt sleeves. I didn't have time to order the recommended tubing, so for a quick fix I wrapped the 3/4" pole ends with a 4" strip of flashing I had in my barn. Edges filed smooth for safety, then glued on with JB-Weld and clamped until dry. It made a good fit inside the 1" emt sleeves, cut to 9" each and pinned on as Jeff-oh showed in the first post. My nephew left with the stand early this morning. He called me a little while ago to say he's set up camp for the night and the joints feel quite secure. Another happy hammock camper! I'll let you know how it holds up. Thanks again for the good suggestions.

For what it's worth, I get laughed at every time I go into the hardware stores around here. They know I seldom use anything for its intended purpose, and they always ask me what I'm making this time. I usually just tell them I'm making theatre props (not a lie: there's plenty of drama in my life) or a garden sculpture, but one time I showed the clerk my 1:12 scale model tensahedron stand and a few pics. He was impressed with the physics of it and ended up making a stand for himself.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WhollyHamaca View Post
    Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions to fill the gap between 3/4" poles and 1" emt sleeves. I didn't have time to order the recommended tubing, so for a quick fix I wrapped the 3/4" pole ends with a 4" strip of flashing I had in my barn. Edges filed smooth for safety, then glued on with JB-Weld and clamped until dry. It made a good fit inside the 1" emt sleeves, cut to 9" each and pinned on as Jeff-oh showed in the first post. My nephew left with the stand early this morning. He called me a little while ago to say he's set up camp for the night and the joints feel quite secure. Another happy hammock camper! I'll let you know how it holds up. Thanks again for the good suggestions.

For what it's worth, I get laughed at every time I go into the hardware stores around here. They know I seldom use anything for its intended purpose, and they always ask me what I'm making this time. I usually just tell them I'm making theatre props (not a lie: there's plenty of drama in my life) or a garden sculpture, but one time I showed the clerk my 1:12 scale model tensahedron stand and a few pics. He was impressed with the physics of it and ended up making a stand for himself.
    Hey, good idea about the JB-welded flashing! "and pinned on as Jeff-oh showed in the first post...........pop riveted". I need to learn how to do that.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    pop riveting... I need to learn how to do that.[/COLOR]
    It's almost as hard as stapling papers together. Drill hole so the rivet just fits hold the two pieces together and squeeze the hand tool. Pop done.

WH: Glad it worked for you sounds like a secure way to make it all work.

Images
    It's almost as hard as stapling papers together. Drill hole so the rivet just fits hold the two pieces together and squeeze the hand tool. Pop done.

WH: Glad it worked for you sounds like a secure way to make it all work.
    So I assume there is a tool for this readily available at Lowes/ HD? Called pop rivet tool?

So I assume there is a tool for this readily available at Lowes/ HD? Called pop rivet tool?
    Yes.. and just called a "rivet tool". Harbor Freight has them on the cheap (5 bones) if you won't be using one but occassionally.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Yep, pop.JPG Not expensive $5 at harbor freight and up. I have the craftsman riveter my dad bought in college in the 1950's.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC ; RR
    Tarp
    Superfly; W Haven
    Insulation
    WB TQ and UQ's
    Suspension
    Tensa4 and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Theguywitheyebrows View Post
    WE EAGERLY AWAIT THIS TEST OUTCOME!! I almost bought your materials JUST NOW but then I read the ‘ill let you know how it works out’ lol
    Hey guy,

I put together one of the poles yesterday and indeed the fit is tight but workable. I put a little lubricant (oil) on the EMT and it allowed them to slip on and off easily. I'm not happy with the length of my middle section so I'm going to buy another section of EMT and do that one again. I made the middle too long and the ends too short - I should have done the same as jeff-oh.

I bought my EMT at Home Depot and based my sleeve purchase off the OD measurement of that particular EMT. I've attached a picture of that measurement for your reference. I'm not sure if there's variation on OD for these.95AED9F0-C121-43F3-B6FF-33201A8A6485.jpg

It's going to work for me with my particular EMT. I also expect that the aluminum will probably loosen up a bit with some time and use.

Good luck with your project.
    Last edited by KirbyC; 01-05-2020 at 09:14.

Images
    Yep, pop.JPG Not expensive $5 at harbor freight and up. I have the craftsman riveter my dad bought in college in the 1950's.
    Quote Originally Posted by KirbyC View Post
    Hey guy,

I put together one of the poles yesterday and indeed the fit is tight but workable. I put a little lubricant (oil) on the EMT and it allowed them to slip on and off easily. I'm not happy with the length of my middle section so I'm going to buy another section of EMT and do that one again. I made the middle too long and the ends too short - I should have done the same as jeff-oh.

I bought my EMT at Home Depot and based my sleeve purchase off the OD measurement of that particular EMT. I've attached a picture of that measurement for your reference. I'm not sure if there's variation on OD for these.95AED9F0-C121-43F3-B6FF-33201A8A6485.jpg

It's going to work for me with my particular EMT. I also expect that the aluminum will probably loosen up a bit with some time and use.

Good luck with your project.
    Thanks, guys!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast