Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images

Improved DIY Tensahedron Stand:

This past week I have modified my DIY Tensa Stand to improve storage and transport. The stand now breaks down into 36" sections which fit into an old camp chair bag for easy transport.

The original stand with dimensions and material list is here: Original Thread

ham.jpg

The DIY Tensa stand poles were cut into 3 sections. I used 1" aluminum tubing I salvaged from on old folding camp table. Though this pipe is readily available on the internet. The tubing was cut into 8" pieces and these slip over the 3/4" EMT pipe snugly. To hold them in place I pop riveted the aluminum tubing to the each of the 8 end pieces. The center section of the EMT pipe slips into place forming the stand.
    IMG_2171.jpgIMG_2168.jpgIMG_2166.jpg

As I like firm joints. I bolted the apexes together and place soft shackles for the hammock suspension.
    IMG_2170.jpg

My set up is such that my 10' tarp perfectly fits the stand and attaches to the poles. The hammock suspension is adjusted to match the tension of the tarp. Thus, the tarp stays taught but is not over loaded. This allows an open tarp set up or it can be rigged for Storm mode (Rode out remains of Hurricane Gordon in 2018). Storm mode is achieved by wrapping the tarp tight around the stand legs and running the guy line through the side tarp tieout and around the back leg before pinning it. This doubles up the end protection and holds the tarp down to the ground. Looks extremely claustrophobic from the outside, however inside it is spacious and roomy because your hammock hangs inside all the poles anyways. The tarp becomes a protective cocoon.

storm1.jpgstorm2.jpgstorm3.jpg

I hope you enjoyed this update.
    Last edited by jeff-oh; 09-10-2019 at 11:57.

Nice. The tarp is pretty nice and tight.
    As it just so happens, I made and set my tensa up today for the second time. My wife looked on with a mix of skepticism and restrained amusement. I need to tweak a little here and there to make the magic roll with it. Getting close. I didn't taco when the one tie down went slowly 'sproing'. I need more robust ground screw pegs etc......cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post

I hope you enjoyed this update.
    I noticed in the other thread ( DYI Tensahedron Hammock Stand ) that you give the spec for the ridge line as 12'. From the pictures here, with that 10' tarp, has that number changed? Have any of the other numbers changed?

Thanks,

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    I noticed in the other thread ( DYI Tensahedron Hammock Stand ) that you give the spec for the ridge line as 12'. From the pictures here, with that 10' tarp, has that number changed? Have any of the other numbers changed?

Thanks,
    I will need help in finding the post reply you are referencing. Can you provide the post number in that thread? I looked at the 1st 3 pages of posts and did not see a 12' reference, but as you know it went on for a while. The stand for me has always been 10' ridgeline (120"). So I haven't changed anything other than cutting the poles into 3 sections and adding the connector tubing. Any further help you can provide is appreciated.

My error. I saw it in a post you made BUT the numbers were in the quoted post you were responding to. The numbers were from old4hats (12' RL, 9'3" poles, 6' spread).

Too little sleep or too much IPA. Either explanation is possible.

That leaves me curious. Would you mind repeating the specs for yours?

Thanks,

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    They ware in the 1st post of that thread. But for review;
    Poles cut to 98" with the 1/4" bolt at 96" from ground end. 1/4" nylon spacer between poled to hang suspension.
    Top span ~10' (120") because that is the tarp I had.
    Base span 72" this way I do not hit the poles in a diagonal lay.
    Sleeves were 8" with 4" to receive center pole. and 4" over base pole, No real thought into where to place the pop rivet.
    the end poles were cut at 31 thus with the sleeve installed are 35 over all. the center section turned out to be 36" long. Thus they are all about the same disassembled length.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks. I'm liking your version a lot!

Hammock
    HH 4 Season Explorer XL
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    As I like firm joints. I bolted the apexes together and place soft shackles for the hammock suspension .
    Did you always have the top and bottom connected via bolts? I was under the impression that the tensahedron setup required some degree of flex at the joints in order to work properly.. ��

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chefko View Post
    Did you always have the top and bottom connected via bolts? I was under the impression that the tensahedron setup required some degree of flex at the joints in order to work properly.. ��
    I have always bolted the top joint. If you have one piece or fitted poles you cannot bolt all four joints and have it fold up for storage as there are geometry issues. The commercial stand uses a loose fittings for their design and production needs.

I personally prefer the bolted top joint for both functional and aesthetic reasons.

I would not recommend bolting the lower joint as it will create a geometry issue with how the stand sits on the ground. I will continue to use a shear lash to join the poles at the lower joint. Please see the initial post for the build instructions. Initial Thread

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    Brilliant!! So you’re ending up with 12 thirty two inch hunks of 3/4” metal conduit? With 4” of overlap on your aluminum 1” collars (with pop rivets in one overlap to hold it steady) on the two bottom sections of each pole? Those nylon washers are neat, this seems like a simple build! Gunna hafta give it a shot! Thanks for your collapsing tensa tutorial!!
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast