WB Blackbird XLC ; RR
    Tarp
    Superfly; W Haven
    Insulation
    WB TQ and UQ's
    Suspension
    Tensa4 and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    Oh in that case you'll be fine. Tight is good. .

Only time I had sticking issues was in the rain and water got in the joint. A little twisting back in forth of the middle pole allowed the joint to work free without too much effort.

Only real issue I've had is I dropped the bag on the driveway and bent one of the aluminum sleeves. The pole would no longer go in. Had to spend about 5 min. placing the tip of various sized pliers in the end and while twisting the pliers force the AL tube back round.

KirbyC, A suggestion on cutting the sleeves when you do. If you use a pipe cutter, go slowly without out much pressure on the cutting wheel and place a scrap piece of the EMT in the AL tube as a backer. It helps keep the AL round and minimizes the burr/end taper that may give trouble on inserting the EMT later.
    Thanks for the advice on cutting. That makes sense and will help.

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WhollyHamaca View Post
    My nephew is leaving tomorrow for an emergency road trip, no time to order materials to be delivered, and he asked me to mod his 3/4" emt stand to fit in his car. I can get 1" emt for the sleeves from Lowes or HD today. Will there be too much play between 3/4" emt poles and 1" emt sleeves? I plan to cut the 100" poles into thirds, so two sleeves per pole. Will it help at all if I make the sleeves longer, say 15" for 7.5" overlap between poles and sleeve? Or is there a way to minimize the gap using stuff I can pick up at Lowes or HD? Thanks!
    Hunted for a gap filler between 3/4” and 1” emt the other day at home depot, no dice. Sorry
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KirbyC View Post
    As tight as they fit, I think it should work fine. My only concern is whether they will be too tight.

I'll let you know how it works out.
    WE EAGERLY AWAIT THIS TEST OUTCOME!! I almost bought your materials JUST NOW but then I read the ‘ill let you know how it works out’ lol
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Images
    .75 EMT has a max OD of 0.92" so your looking or a 0.93" min ID tube. I used the standard: 1" OD. / .035 wall thickness and 0.93 ID Tubing.

Googling 1" .035" wall tubing will find lots of options. Here's one: Tubing source in steel

Note I spent 3 min. doing this search. Current sale price by the inch is $.31. I priced 8 pieces at 8". with $16 and change UPS delivery. Thus, they can sent it to you pre-cut for around $35 Could save potentially by shopping around.

I used Aluminium only because that is what I had on hand. I would have preferred steel, but you gotta use, what ya got some times.

Do you have any scrap yards near you to search for material? Could also check industrial tubbing suppliers near by. This is not something your going to find stock at HD or Lowes.

Hope that helps please post a picture of your final project.
    I ordered this: 2- 8978K21 Rigid Aluminum Tubing, 1" OD, 0.035" Wall Thickness, 3 Feet Long from https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/125/187. It was $28.65 delivered to my door.

I haven't put it all together yet, but the fit is tight when I tested it.
    ........................As tight as they fit, I think it should work fine. My only concern is whether they will be too tight.............
    My nephew is leaving tomorrow for an emergency road trip, no time to order materials to be delivered, and he asked me to mod his 3/4" emt stand to fit in his car. I can get 1" emt for the sleeves from Lowes or HD today. Will there be too much play between 3/4" emt poles and 1" emt sleeves? I plan to cut the 100" poles into thirds, so two sleeves per pole. Will it help at all if I make the sleeves longer, say 15" for 7.5" overlap between poles and sleeve? Or is there a way to minimize the gap using stuff I can pick up at Lowes or HD? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Theguywitheyebrows View Post
    Hunted for a gap filler between 3/4” and 1” emt the other day at home depot, no dice. Sorry
    So, I take it that 1" EMT ( 1" OD, right? ) has a less wall thickness than "I used the standard: 1" OD. / .035 wall thickness and 0.93 ID Tubing." mentioned previously? Leading to a looser fit and more obvious gaps? And I suppose less strength, but I assume still more than enough?

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Yes, the longer sleeves will help. I'd think this would be a good temp accommodation. You can hold the sleeves in place with duct tape in this case until a more permanent solution is decided on.

Images
    In answer to my own question above, I found some tables listing EMT specs, here is one: https://www.sizes.com/materials/conduit_EMT.htm

This one says 1" EMT has a wall thickness of .057 and 1.163 actual OD, and ID 1.049. (that math does not quite work out for me. 1.163 OD minus wall thickness .057 should equal ID of 1.106, no? ) and 3/4 OD of .922. But going by their spec of 1" ID of 1.049 minis 3/4" OD .922= .127 dif, so I guess that is the loose fit. But, the 1" EMT wall thickness is actually thicker than what was used in this project.

This table lists similar specs, but does not list ID:
    https://steeltubeinstitute.org/steel...ic-tubing-emt/

Images
    Yes, the longer sleeves will help. I'd think this would be a good temp accommodation. You can hold the sleeves in place with duct tape in this case until a more permanent solution is decided on.
    What about duct tape around the 3/4" to minimize the gap? Worth fooling with? Of course, then you have the mess left from duct tape if you ever decide to remove it, or when the duct tape wears out. If time allows, sounds like there would be less gap- almost none- by ordering the the sleeves "1" OD. / .035 wall thickness and 0.93 ID Tubing."

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Theguywitheyebrows View Post
    WE EAGERLY AWAIT THIS TEST OUTCOME!! I almost bought your materials JUST NOW but then I read the ‘ill let you know how it works out’ lol
    Yes, and he did say it was a tight fit. Just an FYI. This is from the site for ordering steel tube:
    "
    Important Information about Telescoping Tube and Pipe

• It's common for our customers to purchase tubing or pipe with the intention of telescoping these tubes or pipes. Please take the time to read the following information. This information will help you make the best selection for your application. More importantly, it will prevent you from wasting precious time and money.
    • When selecting tubes for telescopic applications it is important to select sizes that are slightly larger or smaller than the outside diameter or inside diameter you are planning to telescope. As a general rule of thumb, we do not guarantee that the tubes or pipes that you order will in fact telescope. The only way to guarantee someone that the tubes that you order will telescope is to take the tubes and physically telescope them into one another. Though we would like to be able to offer this type of service it is not cost effective.
    • Keep in mind, while DOM Steel Tubing doesn’t have a weld on the inside of the tube because the weld flash was removed, virtually every other tube or pipe will have a weld on the inside of the tubing. This weld will prohibit you from tightly telescoping one tube into another.
    • When telescoping DOM Steel Tubing plan to allow at least .010 between the OD (outer diameter) and ID (inner diameter) that you intend to telescope. However, this still WON’T GUARANTEE that your tubes will telescope. Tubing has OD (outside diameter) and ID (inside diameter) tolerances; these tolerances tend to run larger on OD’s (outer diameters) and smaller on ID’s (inside diameters). So, even if you allow .010, your tube still may not telescope.
    • The moral of the story is that there is absolutely no way to guarantee your tubes will telescope. I would highly suggest being as liberal as possible when selecting tubes that you intend to telescope and take into consideration that some type of craftsmanship may be required. This craftsmanship may be simple as sanding the OD (outer diameter) or as difficult as machining your tube on a lathe or mill.
    • For tube tolerances; refer to the “Speedy Metals Product Library” link located within each product category as well as our home page." https://www.speedymetals.com/Informa...lescoping.html

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    So, I take it that 1" EMT ( 1" OD, right? ) has a less wall thickness than "I used the standard: 1" OD. / .035 wall thickness and 0.93 ID Tubing." mentioned previously? Leading to a looser fit and more obvious gaps? And I suppose less strength, but I assume still more than enough?
    BillyBob,

Multiple things are getting blended into the conversation and the various people are not discussing the same products. WhollyHamaca is looking for a quick fix to connecting the joints by using 1" EMT which has the dimensions as you said above.

I found that using 1" EMT was not a good choice for joining 3/4" EMT. (though for a quick fix it can work). The 1" tube w/.035" wall thickness I am discussing is an industry standard size (but is not EMT conduit), The tubing I and discussing is not sold at Lowes or HD, but it is readily available.

Theguywitheyebrows
    The 1" tube w/.035" wall thickness does provide a tight fit. Tight is good. Tight is no play, no bending, more stability. It is not so tight that you cannot get them together or take them apart. Only time I had a little trouble taking apart was after a particularly rainy weekend and water had gotten into the joint. A little twisting back and forth as I pulled and they came right apart.

If your concerned, go visit a local tubing supplier and check it out first. A 2 sec. google search showed several in your area. Milford, Pipe and Supply, Midwest hose and Speciality, Steel Depot Hobbs, etc. Perhaps they could suggest an even better combo of materials than using EMT. EMT is a soft steel and not ideal, but it is cheap and readily available.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    What about duct tape around the 3/4" to minimize the gap? Worth fooling with? Of course, then you have the mess left from duct tape if you ever decide to remove it, or when the duct tape wears out. If time allows, sounds like there would be less gap- almost none- by ordering the the sleeves "1" OD. / .035 wall thickness and 0.93 ID Tubing."
    Yes another good suggestion for WhollyHammocka to use as a temp fix.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast