Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer Hanging?

Summer Hanging?

I am just getting into hanging and for now i will only be camping during the summer typically the lows will be in the 60s will i need an underquilt or would i be ok without one or worse canse should i use my sleeping pad i currently have?

Hammock
    bit.ly/2m61xEz
    Tarp
    bit.ly/2mZLRIw
    Insulation
    bit.ly/2pZjkEn
    Suspension
    bit.ly/2LY6heV
    A 40- or 50-degree underquilt is advisable, even in high summer. You can save weight with a torso-length quilt.

Even if the overnight temperature never drops below 70 degrees, convection can still rob you of your body heat and make you feel uncomfortably chilled if it is especially windy.

If you are too warm, you can vent or remove the quilt.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' Hexon1.6 burntcoyote
    Tarp
    DIY ASYM
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ/CDT
    Suspension
    Dyno-Poly Beetles
    At 60 degrees you will need some sort of insulation. I use some DIY Costco top and under quilts when I hang in the spring and fall (Louisiana summers are just too hot.) A few of my friends use 40 degree sleeping bags and are plenty comfortable at 60degree temps.

In the summer I'll sometimes have my Costco underquilt hanging on the side incase temps drop below 75degrees, and just use a light blanket on top.
    If you don't know where you are going, you'll end up someplace else.
    - Yogi Berra

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I used a ccf pad my first two years of hammock camping. I always used it, even if overnight lows were in the 70s.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE UQ / EE TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing / DC
    I do a lot of summer camping and thought I'd get by with nothing or a lightweight pad- neither worked out well. A one season 3/4 length synthetic from AHE was the perfect solution for me.

Quote Originally Posted by reke0402 View Post
    I am just getting into hanging and for now i will only be camping during the summer typically the lows will be in the 60s will i need an underquilt or would i be ok without one or worse canse should i use my sleeping pad i currently have?
    Your pad will keep your backside warm just fine in those temps. The disadvantage to the pad is that it can be difficult to stay on top of it inside the hammock, but like many others, I used a pad exclusively for at least a year before I bought an underquilt.

A cheap temporary solution is to make an underquilt from something else, like an old sleeping bag or my favorite, a poncho liner. Search PLUQ (poncho liner under quilt) here on the forums or on Derek Hansen's page, theultimatehang.com. There are also YouTube videos showing how to make one. I've made both the no sew and the sewn versions. My sewn PLUQ works well down into the 60s. You can see it in use in the video I'll link to below. The PLUQ is shown near the middle to end of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cq7o5sJbmk&t=1s
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Summer Hanging?

yes you will need something under you to keep you warm even if the lows are in mid 70s. if you want to buy an underquilt, I'd recommend the hammock gear Phoenix 40 degree econ.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch 12' Winter
    Insulation
    CRO, J'R'B
    Suspension
    Dutch web/ beetle
    Here in Florida most of the time you will want something below you a pad or uq to keep the mosquitos at bay. As previously mentioned here the pads are difficult at times to stay on top of and one of my friends knee received about 40-50 mosquito bites in one night. I had purchased the Klymit v hammock pad when they first came out and were a little cheaper. They are an expensive pad, equivalent to a 40° uq in price. With the warmer nights I typically prefer a pad for these conditions. I have a couple of uq now and plan on trying these instead of a pad.

https://www.klymit.com/hammock-v-sleeping-pad.html

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhound352 View Post
    Here in Florida most of the time you will want something below you a pad or uq to keep the mosquitos at bay. As previously mentioned here the pads are difficult at times to stay on top of and one of my friends knee received about 40-50 mosquito bites in one night. I had purchased the Klymit v hammock pad when they first came out and were a little cheaper. They are an expensive pad, equivalent to a 40° uq in price. With the warmer nights I typically prefer a pad for these conditions. I have a couple of uq now and plan on trying these instead of a pad.

https://www.klymit.com/hammock-v-sleeping-pad.html
    Not trying to hijack OPs thread, but is this really a thing? I'm a mosquito magnet, but I've never been bitten through the hammock body. Even the cheap Walmart hammock, not a bite. My Half Zipped is the Hexon 1.6 and the Eldorado is the 70D nylon version. All single layers. All my bites occur outside of the hammock, and yeah I'll be itchin and scratchin throughout the night.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    For my first summer I just put my older therm-a-rest pad in my under quilt protector (UQP). That combination was enough to block the heat loss. Because I wasn't sure about the required trees, or even if I was "sold" on hammocks yet, that pad also gave me a go-to-ground option.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast