trad cotton / yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    silnylon diy
    Insulation
    diy, a mix
    Suspension
    straps to becket
    Quote Originally Posted by reke0402 View Post
    I am just getting into hanging and for now i will only be camping during the summer typically the lows will be in the 60s will i need an underquilt or would i be ok without one or worse canse should i use my sleeping pad i currently have?
    As long as packability and weight are not primary issues for you, Walmart now has a few options that work well for a beginner synthetic underquilt. They can easily be made even by hand sewing a large hem around the whole edge, leaving the corners open. Then you need to grab some elastic cord to string through it. This should also be found fairly easily. Check these out:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...sack/632092084
    I've made a quilt from one of this type and it works great for summer. Its main drawback is it doesn't pack down very small if you are backpacking. I've used two of these stacked together down to almost freezing in testing at home. They are quite warm. This one seems to be the one I most commonly see in store. The ones below might be more easily available on line.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...ncho/241250420
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...nket/794723986
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...-Red/904930744
    these are quite like the miitary ponchos that many have converted to underquilts. The second one has sewn tabs on the corners which can be helpful for tying off the bungee cords to keep the quilt where you want it. The Puffy is fairly wide, but you can leave the extra width to hang inside about an extra foot and it will just add warmth on the shoulders.

There are options out there for beginner quilts that won't break the bank. If you later want to upgrade, you can easily convert them back to a field blanket or a synthetic top quilt.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD .9oz Asym Tarp
    Insulation
    LL Operator Series
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    There's nothing wrong with using a pad in the beginning. In fact, if it wasn't for packsize and weight, I would always use a pad as well as an underquilt, since I like the way it changes the lay, and the underquilt cares for the shortcomings of the pad (warm shoulders, more freedom of movement). Condensation issues depend on the pad material for me to an extent.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by reke0402 View Post
    I am just getting into hanging and for now i will only be camping during the summer typically the lows will be in the 60s will i need an underquilt or would i be ok without one or worse canse should i use my sleeping pad i currently have?
    I used a self-inflating 3/4 length REI Thermarest clone for 2 summers before buying a set of 20* quilts during a HammockGear Black Friday sale. While the pad worked acceptably, the leap in comfort attained with the underquilt was remarkable. I was both thrilled that I now had the underquilt and remorseful that I had waited so long.

I now have 20* top quilts, a 20* underquilt for shoulder seasons and a 40* underquilt for summer. I had a 0* underquilt for mid-winter but, now simply stack my 20* and 40* underquilt when the temps are 10 to -10*F.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12