Ridgecreek XL and Spindrift temp rating

I have never used my ridgerunner in less than high 30 degree weather, looking to do a BWCA trip for late September early October. I have a Ridgecreek 3 season, a spindrift and i also own a static v luxe insulated pad as well, which combo would be the best, i'd rather not bring the pad, but since it's a canoe trip the weight isn't a big deal. I should add that my Top quilts are both Down, 20 degree and 40 degree with 1oz overstuff, i think the choice here is obvious with the 20 degree.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE UQ / EE TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing / DC
    It's hard to say for certain without knowing the temp forecast for your trip. Average lows in MN are 34/35 degrees but it could be significantly different from week to week. With the gear you listed the ridgecreek/spindthrift/20 degree quilt should keep you pretty snug easily into the low 20's. If it's going to get colder than that you should bite the bullet and either add the pad or spring for warmer insulation.

Images
    I have used the 3-season Ridge Creek XL as low as 25 degrees (the temp it's rated for) and stayed comfortable through the night. This was without a pad, Spindrift, underquilt protector, or even a tarp. However, this was a single night, so I didn't have to worry about the compounding effects a multi-night trip can have on gear's ability to keep you warm. It was also not very windy on my 25 degree night (or I probably would have used a tarp).

If the gear stays relatively dry and/or has a chance to dry out some during the day, I think you'd be ok with the Ridge Creek XL, Spindrift, and 20 degree topquilt down to 20-25 degrees, but I say that without knowing whether you're a warm or cold sleeper and this also ignores the oft-recommended 10 degree buffer, so take my words with a grain of salt.

The pad would provide some simple insurance, so you might consider bringing it along, especially since you don't have to carry it (outside of potential portage situations).

I ended up not bringing the pad, i did have my spindrift and only felt the cold down my back a little bit when it got into the mid 30's overnight. The wind was blowing pretty good that night as well, so perhaps that contributed.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by campnfish View Post
    I ended up not bringing the pad, i did have my spindrift and only felt the cold down my back a little bit when it got into the mid 30's overnight. The wind was blowing pretty good that night as well, so perhaps that contributed.
    So you used the AHE Ridge Creek and a Spindrift sock?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I have a similar setup (TQ, UQ and sock). I have been down to 34 degrees without the sock and was fine. I also have a Thermolite sleeping bag liner, a military casualty blanket for the sleeve and a down sweater, pants and hat to supplement it. I plan to put it to use this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    So you used the AHE Ridge Creek and a Spindrift sock?
    Yes.

• + New Posts