Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Dilemma....new property, great hanging...but what would you do?

I bought about 6 acres in the mountains north of Boise Idaho. Rugged, timbered, several ridges and ravines. This is a photo looking south with the Milky Way in the background.

I have spent about 10 nights on the property. Sounds of birds, chipmunks, squirrels and crickets. Bats flying in the night. Deer tracks, small black bear tracks, and mountain lion tracks!!!!

I have seen the tracks twice in a small seasonal water drainage that is now drying up in the late summer. First track looked to be a bear and somewhat indistinct. Last tracks.....mountain lion for sure. Neighbor to my north caught him on a trail cam. The drainage is about 250 feet north and about 60 feet elevation drop from where I hang.

So......what would you do?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HGUQ 10 | WBDB 20
    Suspension
    Marlin Sp. Whpies
    I think your best option is to make your presence well known in the area. Take in the preaching of the Flextrek 9000... Intimidate your surroundings! lol. In all seriousness, I would just be conscious of the animals there, but try not to let 'em bother you too much. They are likely far more disturbed by you than you are of them, but it's not a bad idea to carry protection with you - Bear spray aught to be plenty - and establish a "human" site, i.e. campfire, maybe a few benches, and make sure to clean up food every time you're out there so they critters don't associate human presence with food.

That's some gorgeous property man, I'm definitely jealous and hope you get to develop it well to suit your needs.

If all else fails, I'm not sure if you're into it, but you could put in for a Lion hunting tag... I've heard they're some of the best game meat you can get. Best of luck should you choose to join the draw!

Images
    I have no issues with black bears or mtn lions. They both hate people and since you are out West these animals are not acustom to people and food like back East. You will be fine.
    If you are lucky enough to see one get a pic.Its that easy my friend. If sleeping with wild life truly does scare you maybe you should find another hobby.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Embrace the wild.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Chameleon 2.4
    Tarp
    WB Mini/Super Flys
    Insulation
    LL Reaper&WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle/Dyneema/15'
    The odds of an encounter are extremely rare but a woman was killed by a bear this week in MN. I am WAY more afraid if Cougars than bears though.

Don't hike at night and prepare your mind for any surprises. Fight back...you cant win but you can intimidate and maybe save your life. A Ruger Alaskan on your hip will boost your confidence.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Hang a cow-bell on a branch with a slack paracord line to the ringer. Just give it a tug if you hear rustlings in the night.

I've already seen our black bear about 25 feet from where I hang at our new place in the Carolina Blue Ridge... I put a flashlight beam on him and he was gonzo in a blink
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    I would just sell the place and go back to the city and never step foot outside again.

You are very lucky to have such a nice personal retreat. You would be lucky to see all the wildlife you describe. Protect your food and smelly items so they do not become attractants and as said above... embrace the wild. Sounds like a wonderful place.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    UGQ winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    buckles or Daisy
    I'd be more than happy to volunteer my services to come out and establish a hammock site or even several for you. My rates are reasonable.
    left lay born, left lay bred and when I die I'll be left lay dead.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Pee on the trees and they will stay away. A few day of skeet practice helps as well.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdisgrace View Post
    I'd be more than happy to volunteer my services to come out and establish a hammock site or even several for you. My rates are reasonable.
    Yes, mine are reasonable as well... as in, invite me to hang there and I will come!
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast