Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    EE TQ / AHO UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by woodscavenger View Post
    I bought about 6 acres in the mountains north of Boise Idaho. Rugged, timbered, several ridges and ravines. This is a photo looking south with the Milky Way in the background.

I have spent about 10 nights on the property. Sounds of birds, chipmunks, squirrels and crickets. Bats flying in the night. Deer tracks, small black bear tracks, and mountain lion tracks!!!!

I have seen the tracks twice in a small seasonal water drainage that is now drying up in the late summer. First track looked to be a bear and somewhat indistinct. Last tracks.....mountain lion for sure. Neighbor to my north caught him on a trail cam. The drainage is about 250 feet north and about 60 feet elevation drop from where I hang.

So......what would you do?
    I would use it as I saw fit. If it's your time, it's your time, but any attacks are super rare. Folks camp in Idaho all the time.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    I live in a suburb (North Chelmsford, MA) and there are bears, deer, and reported mountain lions in the area. I've found large jaw bones in my backyard. I sleep in the backyard next to the woods frequently.

The only time I've ever actually been scared of wildlife was the time I was on a trail and saw two bear cubs on the left then I saw mommy on the right side of the trail. I just slowly backed away. Mommy bear loped over to the cubs and they disappeared into the woods. I started attaching a bell to my pack after that. So long as you're not a threat or attracting the beasties with food smells they will leave you alone.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The primary prey of cougar is deer, not you. As a trail guide once said, "if you spend enough time out here, you won't see a cougar but you can be sure they see you." This is not a "head in the sand" approach. It's probability of concern approach. Like poeple who are constantly afraid of a harmful incident that happens .00001 percent of the time while engaging, almost without thought, in accident prone activities (I'm talking about you, automobiles) that have a much higher probability of occurrence. That said, it might be useful to read up on cougar so you understand their "style" - they travel, they pass through an area. Unless you give them reason to stop - like putting salt lick out in your yard to attract dear.

That said, I wouldn't put up a hammock with an OutDoor Ink print of a deer. (obigitory hammock reference).

Last summer, our local Fish and WildLife people shot a cougar out of a tree - seem to be their Go-To solution to everything; shoot it. In my estimation, this is what happened ... There's been a lot of new construction/expansion is the high desert wooded, deer invested, area. So this cougar comes along his old path and says, "Huh, what's this. Roads, houses, cars. Where are my deer. Scheech! I know, I'll just climb up in this tree to get a better look to see how to get out of here and rest. I'll leave in the stealth of night." But he didn't make it. They shot him out of the tree.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I was just in that area. Camping for three days in the Seven Devils.

Didn’t get attacked.

But seriously, it’s not something I would worry about. Congratulations on having a beautiful place to play on.

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    I'll be the third to volunteer to do some recon, human stink marking on your property.

Idaho is that hidden treasure, but, shhhhhhh, they have nothing but potatoes!

Have fun in your quest to establish a working relationship with the flora and fauna of your property. Work with it, and it will work with you.

That being said, I would keep the ability to protect myself within reach. Wildlife is going to wild out sometimes and we are in their home.

Good for you, having so many tree pairs to work with. It is a true blessing!
    "If we lose the forests, we lose our only instructors. People must see these forests and wilderness as the greatest educational system that we have on the planet. If we lose all the universities in the world, then we would lose nothing. But If we lose the forests, we lose everything." -- Bill Mollison

Hammock
    WBRR OR WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly or WB CB
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, LLG, CDQ
    Suspension
    Becket, WB Buckles
    If you're really worried about it, you could look into a product like the following to give you some peace of mind while your eyes are closed.

https://electricfencecompany.com/col...42-7-green-164

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    NOTE: this is NOT advice so don't do it. You'll die if you try this:

Be very careful to ONLY tickle them under the chin. Anything else can get you hurt.

Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    WEB
    Images
    There is no real reason not to have proper protection on your own land.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    The numbers are on your side, statistically you are unlikely to be mauled or killed by mountain lion.
    I read an article in National Geographic about Indian men who leave their village alone to gather firewood in forests. Some loners had been killed and eaten by tiger. What they did to reduce odds of being attacked, was to wear a wooden face mask on BACK of their head. Facial area on mask was larger than mans face sporting fearsome teeth and big eyes. Apparently tigers like to spring from behind to increase tigers chance of a quick and safe (for tiger) kill.
    Another way to put numbers on your side, is to put numbers on your side.
    Two men hiking with two good sized dogs are extremely unlikely to be attacked by mountain lion. It could happen, just way less likely.

If nothing else, run a pack of dogs through your place about once a month. Phantom guessing here, mountain lion might detect their scent markings and come around less frequently.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Pee on the trees and they will stay away.....
    This would be my choice...

Clean camp is paramount. Don't give them reason to hang around. I used to carry a small air horn instead of bear spray.. double duty item. Black bears are not uncommon where I do most of my trips, but I haven't had a problem. No mountain lions.

Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    NOTE: this is NOT advice so don't do it. You'll die if you try this:

Be very careful to ONLY tickle them under the chin. Anything else can get you hurt.
    You're gonna die! This is funny ^^^^
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast