Tarp
    WB Edge, Superfly
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Varies

Timberline Trail 8/26/19 - 8/28/19

First trip report, so here goes:

I have been trying to do the Timberline Trail the last couple summers but work/family obligations kept getting in the way. A group of friends planned a trip for the week of 8/26 and the stars aligned that I could join. While they were planning on taking 4 or 5 days, I was going to shoot for 3 days.

Started out Monday morning at about 8:30 am, going counter clockwise from Timberline Lodge. Weather was darn near perfect, sunny but not too warm.

First couple crossings were easy, although had to scout the White River for the best place to cross.

After crossing the White River we headed up to Mt Hood Meadows. It was nice to see a lot of wildflowers still around.

Next crossing was Heather Creek which was one of my favorites since you are just above a waterfall and there are great views.

Next up was Clark Creek which luckily had a couple small logs spanning the creek to make the crossing easier.

We then arrived at our campsite for the first night, just before Newton Creek. We had plenty of time left in the afternoon and evening to set up camp, relax, eat dinner and play some card games.

My set up for the first night.

Looking up to Gnarl Ridge.

Got going about 7:30 on Tuesday morning. Newton Creek was a little easier to cross than what it looked like the afternoon before.

Beautiful Morning

After we crossed Newton I left the group to try and get in as many miles as I could that day. Felt great as I hoofed it up Lamberson Butte. It was nice to get above the treeline and have 360° views. While it was going to be a warm day it was still a little cool out and there was a nice breeze up there. This area was my favorite part of the trip.

Cloud Cap Shelter

Starting to drop down to Eliot Branch.

Eliot Crossing. Not too bad, required a good rock hop though.

Made it to Cloud Cap Campground by 10 am and kept on moving.

Stopped at Wy'East Creek to fill up on water and have some lunch. It was starting to get warm out. Started to run into more and more people who were heading clockwise.

By the time I got to the Muddy Fork, the day was starting to wear on me. And since it was late afternoon, both the Muddy Fork and the Sandy were running high. Had to hike a good 1/4 mile upstream for both to find suitable crossings. And even they were a little sketchy.

Muddy Fork

Made a quick stop at Ramona Falls to fill up on water and cool off.

Sandy River

Finally got to the campground after the Sandy River just before 6:30. Set up camp, eat dinner and crashed for the night.
    Got on the trail about 7:30 on Wednesday. Felt sore from the day before but no too bad. It felt extremely warm out at camp and as I climbed out of there. Luckily it felt cooler once I hit Paradise Park and a small breeze started.

Got back to Timberline around 11:30. Changed and cleaned up best I could in the parking lot and hit the Blue Ox for a pizza and beer. Had the rest of the afternoon and evening to relax at home.
    Next time I'll take at least 4 if not 5 days and explore some of the other trails off the Timberline Trail.
    Great trip overall though.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    I’m set to do that week of the 16th, allowing 4 days. Excited. Any particular reason CCW instead of CW?
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    WB B-XLC
    Tarp
    WB Edge, Superfly
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Varies
    Really just to go the opposite way of the masses. Seemed like a lot of people started around the same time going CW that week. I passed by a lot of them my second day and by the time I got to campsite that night there was only one small group at the site.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for sharing. Something I always wants to do.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    12' Dyneema Hex
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    How was the availability of hammock hang sites along the trail? I'm looking into hiking this trail sometime in late October this year if possible. If not, then next year. But wondering if there were any problems finding trees or if a ground contingency plan is recommended.

Amazing pictures, btw. It looks like an amazing trail.

I always enjoy a picture heavy trip report. Looks like some great hiking opportunities out there! Someday I have to get out West...

Hammock
    WB B-XLC
    Tarp
    WB Edge, Superfly
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by mmachenry View Post
    How was the availability of hammock hang sites along the trail? I'm looking into hiking this trail sometime in late October this year if possible. If not, then next year. But wondering if there were any problems finding trees or if a ground contingency plan is recommended.

Amazing pictures, btw. It looks like an amazing trail.
    The two sites I camped at were established sites that had at least a few options for hanging. From what I saw while hiking most of the campgrounds could work for hanging. The vast majority of the trail is below the treeline so worst case if you couldn't find a good site at a campground you could go off trail and find something, just might be on a slope and have a lot of vegetation on the ground.
    Campground availability will just depend on the crowds. I believe October, especially midweek, it won't be that crowded. I was surprised how many people were hiking midweek when I did it, although the nice weather probably helped.

Hammock
    HG Netted
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    HG Inc. Econ 20
    Suspension
    Tree Strap, Becket
    I wonder if you weren't on the trail at the same time as "Darwinonthetrail". Disclaimer, I'm not a fan of Darwin, but I did watch his recent video on this trail because I'm ready to go do this one.

As for the CW or CCW question, I plan to go CW, with the masses, in hopes that I will encounter fewer people.

My question for you is, what were the low temperatures like? I hope to go just a little later in the year than you did.

Hammock
    WB B-XLC
    Tarp
    WB Edge, Superfly
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Varies
    I watched that video also, think I was a couple weeks after.

First night it dropped down to maybe the upper 40’s where I was by Newton Creek.
    Second night near the Sandy was relatively warm. Must have been in the 50’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WanderingKansas View Post
    My question for you is, what were the low temperatures like? I hope to go just a little later in the year than you did.
    Usually, September is partly-cloudy, slight chance of rain, overnight temps around 40F.

September is a transitional month on Mt Hood, so be prepared for as low as 25F, rain, and possibly snow in the last half of September.

This is what 14" of snow on McNeil Point looked like on September 23, 2017 @ ~7000ft elevation

mcneil_point.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast