Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    GT SB ,GT double, Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

Any Florida hangers familiar with the 1" strap for tarp and hammock rules?

Hey fellow hangers, I am from Florida and I am reading that I need to hang my hammock and tarp from 1" straps in Florida State Parks, I'm good with my hammock since I use Dutch cinch buckles hung with Dutch 1" straps, I'm just confused on how to do it with my tarp and single full length tarp ridgeline..

Any ideas on how to hang a tarp with the required 1" strap??

Also, if any of you folks are from South Florida chiming in, PLEASE tell me where you hang that has trees close enough for a proper hang! I'm going to try and scout the Bear Island Unit in the Big Cypress for a proper spot so I can do a nice week long camping trip in the cooler months.

Thank you in advance, if I posted in the wrong place please direct me to the proper place to post this question and I will do so.
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by Rice-N-beans; 09-04-2019 at 16:47.

Hey there!

The 1” (sometimes 2”) rule is just for your hammock as far as I know. Some of the State Parks require 2”, you’d just have to call and ask. Since the tarp is not holding a persons weight, you are okay with your normal ridge line rope. That’s my experience, hope it helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Maybe your tarp ridgeline can “hitchhike” on your hammock tree strap.
    Using a sturdy and smooth toggle attached to (hammock) tree strap with a marlin spike hitch—real close to each tree. Then you could tie tarp ridgeline to hammock tree strap just past marlin spike hitch
    If you use a carabiner on each side for your toggle, it will be even easier to tie tarp ridgeline to carabiners that will be located on marlin spike hitch just 2 or 3 inches from trees
    Hoping all is well after hurricane Dorian

Hammock
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeeneone View Post
    Hey there!

The 1” (sometimes 2”) rule is just for your hammock as far as I know. Some of the State Parks require 2”, you’d just have to call and ask. Since the tarp is not holding a persons weight, you are okay with your normal ridge line rope. That’s my experience, hope it helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohhh Darn, I need to dig into more research on the strap width, I thought I read 1" was sufficient, I need to double check and make sure I'm good with my 1" setup in my surrounding State parks, last thing I want is to get into trouble with the park rangers, they have enough to deal with already.

Thanks Coffeeneone!

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Maybe your tarp ridgeline can “hitchhike” on your hammock tree strap.
    Using a sturdy and smooth toggle attached to (hammock) tree strap with a marlin spike hitch—real close to each tree. Then you could tie tarp ridgeline to hammock tree strap just past marlin spike hitch
    If you use a carabiner on each side for your toggle, it will be even easier to tie tarp ridgeline to carabiners that will be located on marlin spike hitch just 2 or 3 inches from trees
    Hoping all is well after hurricane Dorian
    I might have to switch up my suspension system to something thicker than my 1" cinch buckle and straps to something like what you mentioned, I'll have to watch a couple of YouTube vids to research them up some.
    I'm in Hollywood Florida and from what I can tell we went pretty much unscathed by Dorian, thank goodness! Thanks for the info Phantom Grappler!

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Florida checking in... I use 1" tree huggers, but I've never run into any issues with stringing a tarp directly to the trees. However, because I like to keep my options open, I leave a set of Dream Hammock/RBTR multibuckles on my huggers:

I can use them as anchor points for my tarp CRL if need be. They have tons of uses.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
    Florida checking in... I use 1" tree huggers, but I've never run into any issues with stringing a tarp directly to the trees. However, because I like to keep my options open, I leave a set of Dream Hammock/RBTR multibuckles on my huggers:

I can use them as anchor points for my tarp CRL if need be. They have tons of uses.
    https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/1-multi-buckle

Thank you Snaps, I found some videos on RSBTR website for those buckles.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    worst case scenario, you can carry extra 2 inch tree huggers, and just larks head suspensions onto those. you'd only need a couple feet for each end

I have a recollection that at least some of the Florida parks require 2" for anything that goes around the tree. (it could also be a faulty memory!) Seems like overkill for a tarp and may not even get enforced. I'm pretty sure the 2" thing is often overlooked for hammock suspension as well, particularly with nice gear, a good attitude, and understanding park staff.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    I found the State Park rules website, it says minimum 1" flat straps, hopefully all the park rangers and staff are on the same page about that written 1" rule. My suspension on my hammock is fine by what the rules state on the link I provided below since I use 1" webbing straps around the tree, my confusion was if I needed to hang a tarp from 1" straps, I think the best bet is to call the park service and find out.

https://www.floridastateparks.org/pl...ate-park-rules
    Hammock use and any other associated lines may be attached to trees that are minimum of 12 inches in diameter measured at chest height and using a minimum of 1 inch wide flat web straps. Some parks may provide hammock posts instead of trees.

Thank you to all who have chimed in!

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    I stayed at Wakiwa State Park in Florida (Beautiful Springs)a couple of years ago. They had the rule written at 1" at the time, but I made sure to mention to the Rangers that I was a hammock camper. They were happy to have us there, but were adamant that the tree must be over 14" in girth and that they required 2" straps in that particular park, because of past experiences. I mentioned the written rule and their words were "We require 2" straps in this park because of past issues and each park Ranger can make a determination based on the needs of the particular park."

I wanted to comply, but honestly had no 2 inch straps. I illustrated my concern for the trees, explained my predicament, and layed out a plan to double wrap my 1" suspension and use sticks underneath to distribute the load. I also used sticks underneath my tarp suspension. They said they would come and check it later, but I may have to GTG if it didn't work out.

Rangers came by, checked on the setup, said it was fine and then thanked me for being conscientious of the health of the trees. All in all, in the Southeast, I have had very few bad experiences with Rangers. Mostly good people trying to protect their product.

Hopefully, the experience I had with these rangers may have paved the way for some other hammockers who found themselves stuck in a similar situation and the Rangers could advise the camper on how to use their 1 inch straps in a way that was suitable to the Park.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast