Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rainfly for Hennessy hammocks with continuous loops?

Hi there,

After years I finally got around to upgrading my hyper light hh with continuous loops and dutchware straps. I never thought about the rainfly in all this and saw some solutions for slings but not continuous loops. Ideally I’d like to keep the rainfly system since I like the simplicity. What are some options for the rainfly on moded systems?

Thanks! Todd

Hammock
    Wbbb xlcj
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    H.G top and under
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bugs
    How about a continuous ridge line? Rig the tarp to it separate from the hammock , I find that it’s actually easier because you don’t have to accommodate for sag when you lay in the hammock.

If you are not familiar with this I can explain in more detail what I use.
    Last edited by Trees company; 09-02-2019 at 20:22.
    visualize whirled peas.

Quote Originally Posted by miarnb View Post
    ...some solutions for slings but not continuous loops. Ideally I’d like to keep the rainfly system since I like the simplicity.
    This interests me too since I've been looking around at different hammock suspension systems. It will be interesting to see what the guru's suggest for straps.

Quote Originally Posted by Trees company View Post
    How about a continuous ridge line?
    Continuous is always an option, but... not to put words in the OP's mouth... I think he's asking about how to migrate the no-line suspension system to the continuous loop straps.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Maybe you can use the idea in this thread?

Personally, I prefer the tarp and hammock be deployed separately... otherwise it's all just too unwieldy. Plus, if it's raining it's great to be able to pack away everything while leaving the tarp up, and make a cup of coffee while waiting for the rain to let up. Did that on a recent trip and it was just plain fun.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Maybe you can use the idea in this thread?
    I was following that thread as well, but didn't know if it was really so simple as just moving the prusik from the factory hammock suspension line to a strap.

My experience is extremely limited, and no idea if it's really the "best" way to go about it, but I like keeping all options open. I have my hammock and tarp in seperate skins, but deploy them together with the tarp "no-line". That way I can keep the hammock skinned until the tarp is deployed if there's a sprinkle, but like the simplicity and speed getting them both hung at the same time. I also like that the tarp remains pretty well equidistant from the hammock and moves where the hammock moves when you get in it. If it was really crappy out then it's not that big of a deal to detach it from the hammock suspension line and hang it "stand-alone", like you mentioned.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    In most cases the tarp will also sag a bit when the hammock is occupied so most of these all-in-one setups also employ shock cord, at least on the RL and sometimes also on the guy lines.

I fiddled around with that a bit early on in my hammock journey but decided to explore other options. But I realize I am borderline OCD in pursuit of absolute simplicity in backpacking gear in general.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
    I was following that thread as well, but didn't know if it was really so simple as just moving the prusik from the factory hammock suspension line to a strap.
    It's supposed to work fine (prusiks on straps), but I've not done it. When I started working on a no-line suspension for my small asym tarp, I decided to switch from strap suspension to Amsteel whoopie slings. They're a lot lighter & less bulky.

Switching my HH suspension to CLs was the first of several mods I made to that hammock. That's what started it all...

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    ..most of these all-in-one setups also employ shock cord.

...I am borderline OCD...
    That what I did with mine. Shock on the ridge attachments and foot long in-line shock tensioners on all the guy lines.

No worries. I used to be a bit OCD myself but as I've gotten older I'm more AD..... Oh HEY! Look at the pretty rock!

Quote Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
    ...switch from strap suspension to Amsteel whoopie slings. They're a lot lighter & less bulky.
    More and more I think that's the direction I'm headed. I have 10' tree huggers that are sometimes getting pretty pressed to their limit getting around some of the trees in our area. The only viable options being... go with longer add-on straps (which I'm not at all excited about lugging around any more strap than I already have), stay with the factory suspension line, or go whoopie. The more I learn, whoopies seem to be far and wide the no brainer. At least for the gathered end HH I'm using.

Not to detract TOO far from the OP though, it would still be nice to know the best options for no-lining with a strap.

Thanks for the replies all. I am looking basically for simplicity in set up and take down. I’m not sure I follow the video with the carabiners attached to the straps but I could putz with it. For those who went with a separate tarp line did you abandon the Hennessy tarp all together then? It likely adds some weight too no?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast