Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

NJ > Nov 1-3 2019 > 4th Annual NJ Fall Hang: The Hang F.K.A. the Loco Libre Gear Piney Woods

It’s that time again. The 4th Annual NJ Fall Hang (the hang formerly known as the Loco Libre Gear Piney Woods Hang) is coming up!

When

Mark your calendars and save the dates:
    Friday, November 1st - Sunday, November 3rd, 2019

Why the Name Change?

Our friend George (Loco Libre Gear) got this whole thing started 3 years ago, but let’s face it – organizing a group event takes a lot of time and energy, he’s a busy man, and his world-class quilts aren’t going to make themselves! So rather than potentially not have a hang this year, we’re helping out by taking the organizing responsibilities off his plate (with his blessing) and forging ahead. Not to worry however, the idea is to keep things pretty much the same as in the past, and he’s still planning to attend – he’ll be the relaxed looking guy by the fire.

Where

We’ll be at Batona Campground in Wharton State Forest again, same as the past 3 years.

How

Want to come join the fun? Then

Campground

For those who haven’t been there before, Batona Camp is a great spot for a group hang. There are more than enough trees to go around, plenty of fire rings for cooking and staying warm, and it’s even nice and flat for those that might want to sleep on the ground (we won’t judge).

Facilities

Batona has a pump for fresh water, and two pit toilets on opposite ends of the campground (don’t forget the TP). It’s not the Waldorf, but it gets the job done.

We’ll set up the kitchen area in the group site, and use the large group fire ring as the main gathering area.

Site Reservations

The camp is split up into 12 sites (plus the large group site) each with a fire ring. We usually try to book the entire camp – or as much of it as we can – so that we have the run of the place. The only catch is that no one person can reserve more than one site, so we’ll need your help. We’ve already grabbed the group site and a couple others, but that leaves the rest of the camp to lock up*.

If you are willing to help out, you’ll need to go to the NJ camping reservation site:

https://camping.nj.gov

• We ask that NJ residents book the sites if possible, as it costs more for out of state campers to book ($3/night vs $5 for out-of-state)

• PLEASE MAKE YOUR RESERVATION FOR 2 PEOPLE, 1 VEHICLE, 2 NIGHTS

• That should come out to $17/site, and we’ll reimburse you for the reservation fees at the hang. If you choose not to be reimbursed, then we’ll add that contribution to the amount donated to charity along with the raffle money.

You don’t need to stay in the site that you reserve (though you can if you like), and you don’t HAVE to reserve a site in order to attend. Once you arrive, just find some trees to hang between – first come, first served. If you’ve got a favorite spot, get there early!

*NOTE: this year (similar to a few years ago) it looks like site 9 may already be booked, so we’ll have to work around that, and try to be good neighbors.

Food

There are fire rings at each individual campsite that can be used for cooking. Friday night you’re on your own for dinner, but if you want to bring something to share and make friends, go for it!

As in years past, we’ll have group meals for Saturday breakfast and dinner. If you’d like to bring something like a side, salad, dessert, etc. then by all means do – there’s a spot to make a note of what you’re bringing on the spreadsheet. But don’t feel obliged to, as we’ll make sure there’s enough food to go around.

Menu is still TBD, but we’re thinking:

• Breakfast – Pancakes, eggs, sausage, coffee
    • Dinner – Pulled pork, with a non-pork/vegetarian option

Raffle

Fear not, we’re still planning on having a raffle, like in previous years. We’ll look to get all that fun stuff out of the way before dinner so then we can eat, relax, and spend the rest of the evening hanging out.

Raffle tickets will be $5 each, and will be available for purchase on Saturday. We’ll recommend that everyone attending purchase at least 2 tickets ($10 worth) to help make sure that we can cover costs for everything, but you can buy as many as you like to increase your chances of winning.

The money collected from the ticket sales will go towards covering the overhead costs of the hang, and then extra money will be donated to charity - this year we’re going to be giving to the Ronald McDonald House Charities, whose mission is to “create, find, and support programs that directly improve the health and well-being of children.”

Loco Libre has generously offered to donate something, and we’ll add other vendors/items as we get commitments.

We hope to see you out there!

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Signed up! Come on fall!
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thank you to Silentorpheus and NJRedneck for taking this over. It's gonna be a fine time to hang in the pines!

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    It looks like whoever had site 9 reserved may have gotten scared away (or just cancelled). So at this time, the following sites are booked for the weekend of 11/1-11/3 by people known to be attending:

Group Site A
    Site 1
    Site 4
    Site 5
    Site 12

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Alright who is the dipwad screwing up the spreadsheet already? I can enter my own name, thank you, and I can spell it right (silvrsurfr, not SilveSurfr). And my first name is Craig, not Roxanne.

If you're going to add stuff to the spreadsheet, at least get it right!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I will probably bring my beagle Joey. Joey gets along fine with most dogs who attend our hangs. However, he can't tolerate more than about three sniffs of his butt. There was one dog last year that couldn't stop sniffing Joey's butt and Joey got very angry. The dogs had to be separated for the rest of the weekend.

So if your dog is a real butt sniffer, let me know in advance and we'll keep 'em separated.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 deg UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Hi Folks, I am seriously considering coming down from the great white north to this hang. I have always wanted to go to the Pine Barrens and this seems like a less buggy time to go. What activities are available down there at the camp? Do people go hiking or canoeing? biking? or do folks generally sit around and hang out? Are there kids that go to this or is it mostly adults? (I don't have kids, but I do have a dog, she may not join me though, and, Silvr, she is not a big butt sniffer, she prefers that dogs ignore her).

Hammock
    11' gathered, diy bridge
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    hg 20,llg 0
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by tollermama View Post
    Hi Folks, I am seriously considering coming down from the great white north to this hang. I have always wanted to go to the Pine Barrens and this seems like a less buggy time to go. What activities are available down there at the camp? Do people go hiking or canoeing? biking? or do folks generally sit around and hang out? Are there kids that go to this or is it mostly adults? (I don't have kids, but I do have a dog, she may not join me though, and, Silvr, she is not a big butt sniffer, she prefers that dogs ignore her).
    Come on down. As for activities some hike, some nap, and some sit around camp. There may be Cornhole or some other picnic type games going on. Lots of cooking and eating. And kids are always welcome.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Early November is usually a great time for hanging in the Pine Barrens. It's chilly enough that most of the bugs aren't an issue but usually not cold enough to stretch the limits of those that aren't fully outfitted for winter hanging.

This is a family-friendly event, and there have been kids present most of the past years.

As for other things to do, the Batona Trail runs right through camp, and there are some short hikes that can be done on that - Apple Pie Hill (fire tower) is a short 3.5 mile walk (mostly flat) from camp for example. Batsto Village is about 30 minutes away by car (maybe less), where there's local Pine Barrens history to explore, and more hiking trails, plus Batsto Lake. It's not a far drive over to the Atsion office or the Atsion Lake area, though both of those may be closed for the season at that point. Check out the Wharton State Forest site, for other ideas and options:

https://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksand...s/wharton.html

Ratdog, another forum member that's helping organize (and longtime Pine Barrens resident) was I believe mulling the idea of seeing if there was interest in some backwoods 4x4 fire road exploration to various local points of interest, but I won't speak for him.

But mainly most people tend to hang around and relax, chat, and enjoy the fall weather. There hasn't been any organized activities in years past, though if anyone wants to do something, I'm sure one could find some that are interested

Either way, come on down, and check out what the NJ Pie Barrens have to offer!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner Bridge
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Lynx, hangtight
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Haha! So... We're headed up there to do L&L and you're coming down our way in November! Maybe we'll a
    See you then!
    ~~~NJHEART2HEART Dawn~~~
    "Seek God, Embrace the Journey, Leave a Legacy of Love"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast