Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    There's a lot of history in the Pine Barrens. For example, the Batona Trail used to go right through Batona Camp and across Skit Branch (what locals call a creek). I guess the bridge probably fell apart back in the 1970s or 1980s, but you can still see the pilings, and the old trail is still there on the other side of Skit Branch.

One time we took a hike to Hampton Furnace. There's not much there but a foundation (the furnace opened in roughly 1795 and was in operation until around 1850), but it's still fun to see and remember those bygone days when bog iron was big. Hampton Furnace may have produced cannonballs and shot for the War of 1812.

hamptonfurnace.jpg

http://www.sitesofnj.com/Hampton_Fur...nace_Main.html

There's other stuff that some of us find fascinating, like the bridge (called Unbridge, for some reason) crossing the Batsto River at Lower Forge. The bridge has been gone for 40 years. However, I was once hiking on the other side of the Batsto and encountered these two cyclists wandering around looking lost. They had this ancient map and I asked what they were looking for. I looked at the map and laughed my butt off when I realized they were looking for Unbridge. They were disappointed they had to go all the way down to Quaker Bridge to cross the Batsto and get to Lower Forge.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 deg UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by NJHeart2Heart View Post
    Haha! So... We're headed up there to do L&L and you're coming down our way in November! Maybe we'll a
    See you then!
    Hey Dawn, I know, such a bummer I am having to miss L and L and YOU! I hope I do get to see you down in Jersey. Maybe I can talk some other folks from up North to drive down with me so I don't fall asleep at the wheel.

Stacy - I just signed up for this, so I hope you make it down!

Dawn - I didn't see you and Ted on the list (hint, hint!).

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner Bridge
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Lynx, hangtight
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by ljane View Post
    Stacy - I just signed up for this, so I hope you make it down!

Dawn - I didn't see you and Ted on the list (hint, hint!).
    heheh My attendance remains an unknown. Out house is officially under contract for sale. Gotta get through inspections, getting an apartment and closing on the house, not to mention wondering if I'll freeze my butt off!!

I have 0 degree uq and tq, but coldest I've been was 36 degrees in April at the Iron Chef hang (still can't believe did that- my first official night hanging in my own setup!!).

Not sure what it will be like down south jersey.. though it would be good practice for living in Maine... Keep bugging-- errrr.. reminding me once in a while... looks like Tollermomma AND Grey Eagle may make the trip down, so with them and you, and maybe Kristal and others from PA, I would be HIGHLY motivated
    ~~~NJHEART2HEART Dawn~~~
    "Seek God, Embrace the Journey, Leave a Legacy of Love"

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Lynx, hangtight
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    It’s that time again. The 4th Annual NJ Fall Hang (the hang formerly known as the Loco Libre Gear Piney Woods Hang) is coming up!

Where

We’ll be at Batona Campground in Wharton State Forest again, same as the past 3 years.

Site Reservations

The camp is split up into 12 sites (plus the large group site) each with a fire ring. We usually try to book the entire camp – or as much of it as we can – so that we have the run of the place. The only catch is that no one person can reserve more than one site, so we’ll need your help. We’ve already grabbed the group site and a couple others, but that leaves the rest of the camp to lock up*.

If you are willing to help out, you’ll need to go to the NJ camping reservation site:

https://camping.nj.gov

• We ask that NJ residents book the sites if possible, as it costs more for out of state campers to book ($3/night vs $5 for out-of-state)

• PLEASE MAKE YOUR RESERVATION FOR 2 PEOPLE, 1 VEHICLE, 2 NIGHTS

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=-webkit-standard]
    • That should come out to $17/site, and we’ll reimburse you for the reservation fees at the hang. If you choose not to be reimbursed, then we’ll add that contribution to the amount donated to charity along with the raffle money.

You don’t need to stay in the site that you reserve (though you can if you like), and you don’t HAVE to reserve a site in order to attend. Once you arrive, just find some trees to hang between – first come, first served. If you’ve got a favorite spot, get there early!

*NOTE: this year (similar to a few years ago) it looks like site 9 may already be booked, so we’ll have to work around that, and try to be good neighbors.
    [B]

We hope to see you out there!

Still need reservations? I'm not sure if I'm coming, but glad to help as a NJ resident.
    Last edited by NJHeart2Heart; 09-11-2019 at 11:36.
    ~~~NJHEART2HEART Dawn~~~

Hammock
    HH Expedition asym
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    work in progress..
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Looking forward to making some new friends. Grabbed site #7. Glad to contribute, no reimbursement needed.
    --Greenbrier

We are born naked, wet and hungry--then things get worse.

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NJHeart2Heart View Post
    heheh My attendance remains an unknown. Out house is officially under contract for sale. Gotta get through inspections, getting an apartment and closing on the house, not to mention wondering if I'll freeze my butt off!!

I have 0 degree uq and tq, but coldest I've been was 36 degrees in April at the Iron Chef hang (still can't believe did that- my first official night hanging in my own setup!!).

Not sure what it will be like down south jersey.. though it would be good practice for living in Maine... Keep bugging-- errrr.. reminding me once in a while... looks like Tollermomma AND Grey Eagle may make the trip down, so with them and you, and maybe Kristal and others from PA, I would be HIGHLY motivated
    Coldest we saw in the three years prior was low 30's. Usually the second night winds up in the 40's.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by georgecarr View Post
    Coldest we saw in the three years prior was low 30's. Usually the second night winds up in the 40's.
    Agreed - early November is usually above freezing in the Pine Barrens. By the end of the month, temps can drop (we've seen temps in the teens at past Thanksgiving Hangs) but the beginning of the month tends to be great sleeping weather.

In general, if you're watching weather reports, assume that it can be between 5-10˚ colder in the woods than what the local weather stations say the temp is or will be.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Lynx, hangtight
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by georgecarr View Post
    Thanks George. My FIRST hang was down to 36, so if your estimates are about right, I'd be just fine.

Dawn
    ~~~NJHEART2HEART Dawn~~~

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Lynx, hangtight
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Ok.. that's weird.. I thought I'd posted this, but it's not showing now:

As thanks to George Carr and several others down south Jersey, who were so gracious and helpful and encouraging to Ted and I when we wound up "Hotel camping" for a Bushcraft event in spring of 2017.

I made reservations for Site 2 at Batona.
    I'm not even sure if I'm actually going to come, but consider it a donation of thanks

Dawn
    Last edited by NJHeart2Heart; 09-11-2019 at 12:35.
    ~~~NJHEART2HEART Dawn~~~

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast