Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sierra Madre Research?

Anybody hear of these guys? Just saw them on Shark Tank. They say they are the only innovative manufacturer in the hammock industry. They got a deal with Richard Branson. Not sure when the episode was recorded.
    Their setup looked like a hammock, bugnet, and tarp to me...Sells for 350.00.
    Last edited by tomykay12; 08-29-2019 at 19:10.

recorded 11/2017

Hammock
    DIY 11' HyperD 1.6 Tawny Olive
    Images
    Shug did a great review of their Nube' system about 18 months ago (maybe 2 years).

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    They've gone to a few group hangs, but their stuff hasn't really caught on with HammockForums users.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    their stuff is neat, somewhat over engineered

it comes across (to me) as more base camp gear, than backpacking/hiking gear, if that makes sense?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    They're the Ninox Flatlay hammock folks. I just posted a review on the Ninox over in the "Reviews" category.

Images
    They are a bit different than most of the cottage outfits here. I think they are headquartered in TN, but their stuff is designed by them but built outside the country, far as I know. I have found their Inferno UQs to be of high quality and about equal to any one else's for warmth vs weight. But, quite unique in a couple of design aspects. I have not decided ye if the are superior to my other quilts, but they are at least very competitive.

Their newest hammock offering is quite different than what most go for around here, and it may not appeal to many. Mainly because it is heavy. BIG and heavy. It came out- after a long delay- bigger and heavier than speced, almost 12 ft long I think, and very wide. I decided to get one because I was pretty pleased with their unique UQ and it's end caps, but that UQ is designed to work at it's optimum with SMR hammocks which have attachments designed for their UQs. So that ability made me gable on their claims for the hammock, which seemed a bit extreme to me, but you never know. But probably if the main thing I wanted was that ability custom fit their with their UQs, I probably should have bought one of their older models which are about as light as any other hammocks, and have extremely positive, and no negative, reviews at their website. But oddly, are virtually unknown here at HF. I suspect they are pretty competitive with other hammocks, For example, their Solo hammock is $89(on sale $67), weighs 13 oz and is 10'3' long by 4'6" wide. So it seems competitive.

I can only say that thier newest hammock seems very comfortable indeed, but I can not yet say that it is more comfortable than my older, favorite hammocks. I can say it is roomier than any other hammock I have tried. Which will allow for some unique interior furnishing, such as hanging a gear hammock to keep all your stuff inside the hammock, and still have more room than any other hammock. But I'm not sure yet all of that will be worth the weight for me, and I doubt it will be most of the UL hikers here. Only if it actually turns out to be more comfortable than all the other hammocks, will it hen maybe, for some, be worth the weight. That is yet to be determined.

But their other, smaller, lighter hammocks might well be in the game, even if very little known at HF.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomykay12 View Post
    Anybody hear of these guys? Just saw them on Shark Tank. They say they are the only innovative manufacturer in the hammock industry. They got a deal with Richard Branson. Not sure when the episode was recorded.
    Their setup looked like a hammock, bugnet, and tarp to me...Sells for 350.00.
    They wouldn’t be in my top 5 vendors to buy a hammock setup. Take that with a grain of salt as I haven’t used their hammock but many of their products seem to miss the mark on what I look for based on descriptions alone (they seem more designed for car camping while I’m a backpacker first).

Not surprised they would claim they are the only innovative hammock maker after describing their products as the “BestLayEver” and the “Most complete hammock ever imagined”.

I’d also be worried that they haven’t figured out a smooth Kickstarter after 4 prior ones. Maybe the 6th one will be great!
    They seem to be the one vendor using this model continually while other vendors beta test on their own and seem to roll out more mature products.

Anyway just one persons opinion.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    I've seen their "Nube" system at a hang, and actually just got around to trying out their "Puffle" down quilt as a UQ last night. [it has detachable bungees to go TQ or UQ]

The Nube didn't grab me at all and, while the Puffle is really quite decent as a light TQ, as a UQ it was disappointing. Hangs too low under your butt and I couldn't get it to snug-up at all.

To their credit, they did give me great customer service regarding the Puffle [Kickstarter]
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Wide
    Insulation
    HG Econ Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I think before you consider SMR, you should read the current SMR Ninox thread going on.

https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...-Ninox-Hammock

Their customer service has been very good, and that's the only good thing I can say about them. The actual designs are underwhelming IMHO. It looks slick on paper, but real life hanging is a disaster. Their hammocks look space age and cool, but when you go to use it isn't cool to use. I would say SMR gear is all marketing and impractical to use in real life on a trail. I don't want to be hater, and I'm not trying to bad mouth the company themselves. I'm sure they're fine people, but the actual product was very disappointing for me. Your experience may vary.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast