Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Wasn't personally considering them, just curious as I'd never heard of them here and there they were on Shark Tank. I think the reason they got a deal is they're passion for building clean water wells in under developed countries; Richard Branson was all over that, and pledged any of his profits with them to go directly to that project. Most of the other sharks felt the hammock market was too small for them, and for what they were asking for. , The gal just didn't like camping.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Look up Cajunracer here on the forums, he is a rep, and as a friend of his, I can tell ya, he will shoot straight with you

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ30, EE TQ40
    Suspension
    Meyers white to CL
    Have to agree with Sandblade. I bought the "Inferno" UQ second hand. The suspension is not well thought out. It needs shock cord across the width of the hammock in addition to the length. With the shock cords pulled as tight as possible, it still sagged - I could put a football between the UQ and hammock. My gf spent two miserable nights in it. On the third night, we tied the shock cords across the top of the hammock, and did the same with two opposing pairs of loops on the UQ. This was the only means of pulling the UQ up snug to the hammock. This meant that if she needed to get up at night, she had to untie three points first.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitch Grizwald View Post
    Have to agree with Sandblade. I bought the "Inferno" UQ second hand. The suspension is not well thought out. It needs shock cord across the width of the hammock in addition to the length. With the shock cords pulled as tight as possible, it still sagged - I could put a football between the UQ and hammock. My gf spent two miserable nights in it. On the third night, we tied the shock cords across the top of the hammock, and did the same with two opposing pairs of loops on the UQ. This was the only means of pulling the UQ up snug to the hammock. This meant that if she needed to get up at night, she had to untie three points first.
    That's odd. I have an Inferno that is a couple of years old, and have had little to any problems with sag. It has elastics on the side which really snug it up in a superb fashion. My main issue with it is that it hangs away from my left leg a bit when I am laying feet right, so sometimes a run a very light thin piece of shock cord from one side of the UQ up over the hammock to the other, which snugged it up great head to toe. But honestly, I have had that issue on occasion with numerous different brands of full length UQs, I did not find that to be much worse or better than other UQs. And pretty easily fixed.

My main issue with it is: it is supposed to be differential cut, But I have not felt that confident about avoiding compressing the down if hung too tight or snug. IOW, my main complaint has been sort of the opposite of yours, worrying about getting it too tight and too snug and compressing the down. BTW, mine is the original model that is pointed on each end with a single elastic shock cord strap coming off the center. IOW, it is shaped just like my gathered end hammock. It looks to me like they may have changed that suspension recently?

It is not perfect(most are not), but what I like most about it is how it snugs me on the sides, and the big thick insulated area that is under my head, and the design seems to minimize any gaps on the ends which might allow cold air to creep in. Also, it is very light.

Now, don't get me wrong: I am not discounting your experience in the least, I don't doubt you experienced exactly what you described. It's just funny how different folks can have such different experiences. You had foot ball sized gaps, while I am worried about it being too snug and compressing the down! LOL!

Side note: I have really loved the inferno TQ with the built in hood. This is the best TQ I have used when it comes to ease avoiding drafts around the neck/shoulder region. In that regard, it seems as good as a mummy bag with hood and neck collar. And again, very light.

The fit of the UQ can be seen here in silhouette, snug against my back:

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ30, EE TQ40
    Suspension
    Meyers white to CL
    I think the top quilt design is pretty clever actually, and probably weight competitive with what we hangers otherwise do for head and neck warmth. It would need to be sized pretty well to the user though. I do not like the company at all. They wouldn't publish my fair but lowish review. When I tried to publish my review, a customer service ticket was supposedly initiated, but I never heard from anyone. I got put on the "pay him no mind list" I guess. I'd prefer to buy USA made products from a company that actually provides customer service, especially since SMR isn't especially price competitive given their Chinese manufacture.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Looking for one
    Insulation
    Wooki and JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thought I'd add to the convo about SMR as I recently made the dive into their gear.

Been using the Ninox Flatlay (purchased on HF second hand). Super comfy and definitely flat. I actually really like it but there are some cons. It has major sag and requires a really high hang. It has a lot of d-rings and little clips and can be a bit confusing as to what is supposed to be used for what. My WB Eldorado and Wooki is beyond simple, this is the opposite of that. And a personal preference is that I feel like a walking SMR ad since they make their branding so big.

20* Down Puffle. Very comfortable and the no-hole cinch when used as a top quilt is really smart. Good piece of gear. Not great as an UQ IMHO.

30* Inferno UQ. Just got it because the Puffle didn't work as well as an UQ. Installed in back yard and looks like a good piece of gear.

But my biggest complaint is actually in the review process. Every single review on their site for a variety of gear has 5 stars. I submitted a 4 star review of the Puffle (due to issues as an UQ) and it was never published despite their commitment to reading every single review. I followed up multiple times expressing my concerns and was given a gift card but I still don't see my review. That makes me feel more suspicious of the company.

My take is it's good gear, not the best, but good and comfortable. The customer service was responsive and helpful but not posting my review said a bunch.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I bought the Ninox and the Inferno quilt combo. Of the three, I only found the top quilt useful. I cannot lie as flat in the Ninox as in most normal GE hammocks. The walls are very steep and there's a ridge in the middle that I didn't find very comfortable. I didn't try it with a pad, though. The Inferno underquilt actually has an interesting design. There's a strong middle suspension that pulls it snug against the hammock. While that is an advantage, it also prevents it from turning diagonally. My head and feet always popped over the edges of the underquilt. It might work fine for a narrow hammock that forces an inline lay, but for not a wider hammock. All in all, I won't be buying any more SMR gear. They have a lot of ideas but don't seem to be able to iron out the kinks sufficiently.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Looking for one
    Insulation
    Wooki and JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    hutzelbein maybe a dumb question but did you put the feet and head end on opposite sides? It took me a bit to realize it wasn't supposed to go through both Drings on each side or hook onto the continuous loop. Once I did that and attached the side suspension as you mentioned it seemed like it fit well with the Ninox.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    They seem to plan for folks to hang their hammocks higher than most other hammocks. That was a con for me.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Looking for one
    Insulation
    Wooki and JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    They seem to plan for folks to hang their hammocks higher than most other hammocks. That was a con for me.
    Shug
    Yep. With a wide span it's pretty darn high. I've had to do up to 8'.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast