Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hennessy ropes frayed at the ends

I contacted Hennessy and they want to replace the ropes ($$$). The fraying is not so bad - 1-2inches of white innards coming out of the end of the black rope. Any other suggestions?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    My first hammock was a Hennessy. After two trips, I replaced the ropes with whoopie slings.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 08-28-2019 at 19:27.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition zip and WBBB
    You could cut the frayed section off & seal/melt the end with a match or lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by guipago View Post
    You could cut the frayed section off & seal/melt the end with a match or lighter.
    I could but should I?

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    If it just the ends...cut & melt it to tidy things up.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Quote Originally Posted by jasonbradley View Post
    I could but should I?
    I don't know if it was the "right" thing to do, but that's what I did with mine. To me, it looks to be just a very heavy length of paracord type construction. Having had similar issues with poorly manufacturered paracord, where the sheath weave was not done tight enough to match the core diameter, it "expanded" well beyond the core when stressed. I just cut off the excess and resealed the ends and never had any other issue with it.

I assumed my new Hennessey of about 2 months now was having a similar issue. Didn't/don't know if that's a common "wear-in" type thing or not, but it didn't concern me much. I lopped off the excess, re-sealed the ends and have put another 20 or so nights in on it without further issue.

If you're not comfortable with that, I would not send it in for $$$. If they wanted to send me new lengths of cordage for me to switch out with, that would be perfectly fine, but it's rediculously easy to simply untie the old one and re-install a new length yourself. If they didn't want to do that for "liability concerns", then I'm perfectly comfortable with my own fix. It's certainly not worth it, to me, to dish out any coin over. At least not until I land on my a** at 3am one morning.

Here's a vid I watched. It shows a continuous loop conversion, but it's also showing how to access the end knots so you can see how simple it would be to retie a new length of cordage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyUgwyJd6IE
    Last edited by Yarome; 08-28-2019 at 22:09.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition zip and WBBB
    I could but should I?
    It's a normal way of sealing the ends of smaller nylon type ropes other than plaiting them, saves you $$$ & not that hard, up to you.

I contacted Hennessy and they want to replace the ropes ($$$). The fraying is not so bad - 1-2inches of white innards coming out of the end of the black rope. Any other suggestions?
    Their suggestion to replace the suspension is overkill, probably for liability reasons, and is not necessary if the only "damage" is frayed ends. As others have suggested, slice off the frayed portion and heat seal the ends. I replaced my stock Hennessey rope on an Expedition after a year or two, swapping in whoopie slings. If Hennessey will send you replacements (which I doubt, again for liability reasons) you can replace them without a lot of trouble. Watch the video already linked in another comment and you'll see how simple it is to do. But even simpler is to cut and seal.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Quote Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
    I don't know if it was the "right" thing to do, but that's what I did with mine. To me, it looks to be just a very heavy length of paracord type construction. Having had similar issues with poorly manufacturered paracord, where the sheath weave was not done tight enough to match the core diameter, it "expanded" well beyond the core when stressed. I just cut off the excess and resealed the ends and never had any other issue with it.

I assumed my new Hennessey of about 2 months now was having a similar issue. Didn't/don't know if that's a common "wear-in" type thing or not, but it didn't concern me much. I lopped off the excess, re-sealed the ends and have put another 20 or so nights in on it without further issue.

If you're not comfortable with that, I would not send it in for $$$. If they wanted to send me new lengths of cordage for me to switch out with, that would be perfectly fine, but it's rediculously easy to simply untie the old one and re-install a new length yourself. If they didn't want to do that for "liability concerns", then I'm perfectly comfortable with my own fix. It's certainly not worth it, to me, to dish out any coin over. At least not until I land on my a** at 3am one morning.

Here's a vid I watched. It shows a continuous loop conversion, but it's also showing how to access the end knots so you can see how simple it would be to retie a new length of cordage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyUgwyJd6IE
    Really appreciate this.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Cut off the ends and melt.

Then whip 'em, whip 'em real good.

And then drip a bit of thin superglue (cyanoacrylate) on 'em.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast