Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Sounds like I’m in agreement with most here. I do have a 0° UQ, but my lowest TQ is a 20° EE Revelation with zippered footbox. While I have layered that 20 with a Costco Gemini that I used down to 2°, my next quilt purchase will be a true 0° with closed footbox.

I don’t know exactly how the Revelation compares to other TQs, but I never experienced a noticeable draft near the quilts rating. And that 2° night the Costco plugged the hole nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I go with sewn footbox for my 40, 20 and 0* topquilts. I personally don't understand why one would go with zippered or drawstring footboxes - seems like they're just inadequate to keep my tootsies warm.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HGUQ 10 | WBDB 20
    Suspension
    Marlin Sp. Whpies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I go with sewn footbox for my 40, 20 and 0* topquilts. I personally don't understand why one would go with zippered or drawstring footboxes - seems like they're just inadequate to keep my tootsies warm.
    I went with Zippered - and likely will for all quilts above the 20 - because I'm always burning up if I don't have easy access to slip a foot out of the blanket / quilt at night, and I really liked the idea of being able to use the TQ as a pseudo-blanket hahahaha.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    when I first got into hammocking seriously, I started out with an EE Revelation TQ with the zippered footbox. it is ok for the temps I use it for, but i would probably be better off with a zippered foot box when temps get to the freezing mark! On the positive side of a zippered footbox, I can unzip the quilt to use as a down throw blanket. I also own a JRB Sierra Sniveller which has a velcro opening in the middle of the quilt through which to put your head to fashion a serape out of the quilt to use on a cold autumn morning. These are sort of useful features of zippered foot box quilts, but after my experience, i would say I wish I had just gotten a sewn footbox for the reasons others have already mentioned, plus it means you will have a lighter pack and dare I say a warmer TQ with the sewn foot box.

Images
    Mine follow the basic recommendations others have mentioned:

0° - sewn footbox
    20° - sewn footbox
    50° - snaps (not zipper) and drawcord

I do like being able to use the 50° as a traditional rectangular blanket, and I don't love the excess length of cordage that's exposed when the footbox cord is drawn, so leaving it in blanket shape means almost all of that cord is within the channel sewn into the foot end of the quilt.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    My 20° top quilt has a snap closure w/draw cord, and my feet have never been close to cold. I've doubled it up with a Costco down throw on the inside, and have stayed very warm and comfortable at -13°F. I did have two pairs of wool socks on as well. I think it all depends on how warm/cold of a sleeper you are, and if you want to be able to use the quilt for multiple purposes. If you do opt for the drawstring style, you can completely close the 1" hole simply by wrapping the cord around the fabric surrounding the hole to close it up (like a balloon). When you get near the end of the cord, just tuck it underneath itself, and it won't come undone unless you want it to.

Yes, a sewn footbox will have a little extra insulation at the feet. But that is not always a benefit to warm sleepers- such as myself. But if you're a cold sleeper, the sewn footbox is probably the way to go.

I almost decided to go with a sewn on a 20 TQ I'm planning on ordering, but this has all been really helpful. Zipper it is! Like Oquirrh, I sleep warm and sometimes really just need to stick my toes out and get a little fresh air.

In another post I read, someone also pointed out how much easier it is to air out/dry a zippered footbox over a sewn. That made a lot of practical sense to me as well. Especially when there are options available to close off the drawstring hole or add additional insulation over the zipper. Versatility seems to favor the zipper.

Hammock
    Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I am in the market for and on the verge of buying a topquilt. I think I'm going Loco Libre or UGQ b/c they offer so many options. However, reading these reviews about zippered footboxes, I now have a new concern. HHHMMM. I am very clausterphobic and can't stand mummybags b/c I can't move my feet around. So for my hammock camping I decided to go zipper footbox in case I feel closed in, I have the option to unzip. Also, I sleep cold and have to have a zero degree bag for a 4 season bag. We are starting to plan for the AT and starting to collect gear. What is your thought about being closed in at the footbox area? Does it feel like a mummybag? My other thought is to get down booties to keep my feet warm and to get the extra "heatbox" that Loco Libre and OGQ offer. Any help anyone can give on making this purchase is desperately needed.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ATGIRL2028 View Post
    I am in the market for and on the verge of buying a topquilt. I think I'm going Loco Libre or UGQ b/c they offer so many options. However, reading these reviews about zippered footboxes, I now have a new concern. HHHMMM. I am very clausterphobic and can't stand mummybags b/c I can't move my feet around. So for my hammock camping I decided to go zipper footbox in case I feel closed in, I have the option to unzip. Also, I sleep cold and have to have a zero degree bag for a 4 season bag. We are starting to plan for the AT and starting to collect gear. What is your thought about being closed in at the footbox area? Does it feel like a mummybag? My other thought is to get down booties to keep my feet warm and to get the extra "heatbox" that Loco Libre and OGQ offer. Any help anyone can give on making this purchase is desperately needed.
    I have never felt trapped in one of my TQ footbox. Only good and warm. I tried down booties on my feet sleeping once and my feet got cold during the night. Maybe my feet were sweating. Your going to have to experiment to find what works for YOU. Of course all results vary from person to person.
    You can choose your taper to make it a bit more roomy.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I have never felt trapped in one of my TQ footbox. Only good and warm. I tried down booties on my feet sleeping once and my feet got cold during the night. Maybe my feet were sweating. Your going to have to experiment to find what works for YOU. Of course all results vary from person to person.
    You can choose your taper to make it a bit more roomy.
    Shug

Hey Shug, I have been looking for that hat you are wearing in the video of warm feet in the winter. Where do you buy those?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast