Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel

DIY Ninox Hammock: How far to make the concave?

So I have a hammock to experiment with, and I would unstitch the triple GE stitch, recut it, then resew it. I noticed the Ninox hammock has a wave cut. Just so for a starting point, how far would you make the in-cut in the center? I understand the outside edges are pulled in about 1", sort of like a knotty mod, but what about that center? 3"?, 5"? A reasonable guess would be very helpful because I doubt I could restitch a hammock for the third time (just too many holes). It does seem like it would add support to the center where I sink the most.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I assume you are making the centerline of the hammock shorter than the edges. If so, I made one when experimenting years ago and it was like trying to sleep on a bucking bronco. There was almost no stability. I shorten the centerline by either 2 or 3 inches.

The most comfortable cut I've found, after many experiments through the years, is the opposite approach. I cut a curve only in the foot end making the centerline 2-1/2" longer than the edges. BTW, all my hammocks are 11' long at the centerline.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    Thanks for the advice mad777! I was going to make the center shorter, but now I am not sure, and you make it even longer in the center. The picture of the ninox wave cut i have seen shows the ends shotened in about the same as the middle, so maybe I will try just 1 inch in and I will stay away frow2 to 3 inches. Alot of work for a 1 inch deviation, but I do like to experiment. Thanks!

Try whipping it to experiment: that way, you can change it quickly, and sew it when you've got it where you want.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have experimented a lot with shaped ends. You don't have to cut and sew to try different shapes, but since the curves eat into the length it helps to start out with a large rectangle of fabric.

Instead of cutting and sewing the fabric, cinch it. I got some very thin Dyneema fishing line (thinner than Mara 70), because it doesn't rip easily and it is also very sleek, which helps with cinching. Spread out your hammock fabric on the floor. With tailor chalk draw your base line approximately 6" from the end. On that base line you draw the shape you want your hammock to have. Then thread the fishing line (or a very strong yarn) through a hand sewing needle and baste along the shape you drew. My stitches were about 0.4" long, which worked well. When you're finished, cinch the fabric along the fishing line and then whip the end with a cord.

The beauty with this method is, that you can undo the whipping as often as you want, and try new shapes without wasting fabric. I whipped about 25 shaped hammocks this way. The shape that I liked best was less than 1" deep (on each side), but I found that a simple rectangular hammock made with the right fabric most comfortable. But try it and see if you come to a different result.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    Thank you for the whipping idea, and I do use dyneema line on all my poles, but I am concerned the shape does not extend fully like it would with a continous loop and I try to avoid variables. I am glad to hear an inch has been used with success. Thank you!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbite View Post
    I do use dyneema line on all my poles, but I am concerned the shape does not extend fully like it would with a continous loop and I try to avoid variables
    Whipping works as well if not better, believe me. You just have to tug a bit on the resulting folds before you whip it. In any case: let me tell you that it is *very* unlikely that you will get a great result with your first try. Why not try whipping first? If you like the lay, you can always open the whip and sew a channel.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    Very good points, and I may try whipping the ends. Now I am thinking about that confounding curve!

Hammock
    Dutch 10' Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    SLD w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    If one was to sew a double-roll channel in a wave pattern, how does one achieve that? For a regular rectangle, you would simply fold the entire end 2 inches down and fold another 2 inches. But for a wave, are each section of the curve folded down in separate angles?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    I know very little about sewing. I was going to draw the wave with at least 3 inches extra. then I was going to fold it over twice but make sure that line is at the very end of the hammock when the fabric is absolutely flat. Then sew it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast