Tarp
    HG dyneema
    Insulation
    Diamondback,wookie
    Suspension
    Spider/Beetle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    Could I ask for a bit more advice? I'm using a heavyweight double xlc I purchased slightly used. I was thinking of switching to a lighter weight version, likely the lightweight double xlc. Now if I ditch the pad (I had thought double layers were made for pads, now I recognize more for reinforcement), I could go to the single layer and really save weight. I'm 6'3" and 190lbs, would anyone recommend either the lightweight double or the single? I'm thinking the lightweight double may be best just for more support for my frame.
    I have the lightweight double XLC and like it very much. I'm 6' 2" and 190lbs. Never tried the single but think it would not be a problem either. You could shave a few more ounces and get the Eldorado if you can live without the shelf.

I did a couple of weeks on the AT with hammock, underquilt, and pad (just in case I wanted to stay in shelters). I ended up setting up my hammock at the shelter site, taking advantage of the shelter for the dry cooking and hanging out space, then going to bed in my hammock for a good nights sleep. I even set my hammock up in the shelter once. When done right it takes up the same amount of space as taking a spot on the floor. Now i leave the pad at home.

I also have a 20deg wooki and like it but would try the yeti to save weight.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have all versions of the XLC/Eldorado. I'm 5'4" and 135lbs. I love the 70D Heavyweight DL; I sleep in one almost every night. A 70D 1.7 Single Layer is my hiking hammock. It has a lot more stretch, but in a good way. I wouldn't want to sleep in it night after night at home, but on the trail it works very well. I tolerate the 40D/20D Lightweight DL. I wouldn't say it's more or less stretchy than the 70D 1.7 SL, but it has a different kind of stretch. I can sleep in it, but I don't like it. I spent a night in the new 40D 1.6 Dreamtex SL and was surprised I lasted the full night, since I usually get back pain in 40D single layer hammocks after about 2 hours, which wasn't the case with the Dreamtex. It seems to be less stretchy than other 40D fabrics. But I wouldn't go so far to say that I liked it and would use it as a hiking hammock. The 40D Dreamtex Heavyweight DL works well for me, but the 70D HW DL clearly remains my most comfortable hammock.

This is obviously very subjective, but I know a couple of people who like the 70D SL and love the 70D HW DL. I don't know anybody who loves the 40D/20D LW DL. On the contrary, two LW DL owners indicated that their XLC wasn't as great as they expected. Obviously it could be a coincidence. But I would take the 70D 1.7 SL any day over the LW DL.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC/Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB Thunder/Mtn fly
    Insulation
    WBWookie/EEEnigma
    Suspension
    DClips/BeatleBuckl
    I've slept in the heavyweight double xlc for a few years now and I love it. It was the only thing I knew until I picked up one of the new Eldorado 40D single layers during the sale last spring. I slept in the Eldorado a whole week at summer camp and it felt great. I'm not a small guy and the single layer 40D fabric felt great. The Eldorado single layer will be my backpacking goto from now on.

Im 6' 240lbs if that helps.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    As far as a UQ on the XLC...about any will fit it if set-up properly.
    I'd recommend a 20º and vent it if needed.

Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    This is great, I very much appreciate so much advice from experienced hammock campers. I will plan to use a short pad for rare in shelter nights, get the SL and a 20 wookie, doing some venting as needed at higher temps as Shug suggests. I can test this out on some section hiking this fall. I also got a helpful email from Brandon at WB, their service level is excellent. Total weight balances out nicely. I must say the community on HF is great; I enjoy WB but have to periodically ignore a number of threads that go (way) off topic at times.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12