Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5

Seeking UQ advice for xlc

I’ve been testing my xlc in preparation for an anticipated ‘flip flop’ AT thru hike next spring. I plan to start north at Rockfish gap mid April, ideally take some weeks off in august, then finish southwards beginning end of august.

I’m using a pad mainly because I will need this as a backup for sleeping in shelters at times, and particularly if it gets unexpectedly cold/really wet I can switch for a night or two to a shelter.

With a very preliminary look at expected night time temperatures, it seems that around 40-45 is the lowest ‘average’ low north of here although I recognize it could well get colder at times. I won’t be in the whites until somewhere around June, and I may well face some cold nights around gsmnp in the fall, but I’ll be more experienced by then.

To keep weight down I’m thinking of a yeti UQ, and I would appreciate advice about whether to get a 20 or 40 degree one. I looked at the Wooki, which would be the obvious first choice except for weight, and I think the full size pad gives me the flexibility to save weight with a yeti. I have a feathered friends 20 degree TQ and a EE 40 TQ to switch out by mail when it warms up.

Would the group recommend I go with the 20 or 40 degree yeti, recognizing the uncertainty of temps north from May-July? Would a Wooki be better despite the weight? I’m shaving ounces but I don’t want to be ‘stupid light’ and cold at night, at all. I’m leaning to the 20 yeti for this reason, but of course I could save ounces with the 40.

Thank you in advance for advice, I’ve enjoyed lurking on this highly informative site for some time, and I’m preparing to part with my tent as my 60 year old hips prefer a hammock, by far.

Images
    If you're set on bringing the pad, get the shorter quilt and use the rolled up pad to go under your legs.

Always get the 20F quilt if you're going to be in the mountains.

But if it were me, i would get the full length quilt, skip the pad, and skip the shelters too.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If it was me, I would switch it around: use a thin 3/4 pad together with a 20° Wooki. But it depends on how often you think you will be going to ground. The more nights you expect to spend in your hammock, the more important it becomes to be warm and comfortable in the hammock.

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    Thank you, this is helpful. I have a full length uberlite pad that I have used for for tent camping, and while I have a fair amount of tenting experience I'm unsure how often I may choose to use shelters, although I would guess not often. If I'm on a wood floor I'll have to have a full thick pad for my hips, even if it's just for 6-7 nights total over the whole trip. In GSMNP you are required to use some shelters unless full, for example, and I can imagine being soaked for days and wanting to dry out in a shelter occasionally (based on what my son told me about his thruhike). I'll therefore likely go with the 20 yeti based on this advice.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I'd recommend the 20 degree Wooki because of the fit. Worth the weight over the Yeti. Just my opinion, but full length pads are terrible in a hammock. Better off with a short, light pad which you are almost never going to use because you'd rather be hanging. I use a short Klymit Xlite.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge River
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    You could always use the Yeti and a small pad for your feet, and then have the full length pad sent to you for the smokies.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

You might message gbolt and ask him about his experiences. He did the AT last year with the Yeti. He posts on hete occasionally. I think his YouTube channel is gboltonthetrail.

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    I haven't liked the full pad much in the hammock, as suggested; it shifts around a lot at night. I might reconsider and get a short light pad with the wookie, hadn't thought of that.

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    Could I ask for a bit more advice? I'm using a heavyweight double xlc I purchased slightly used. I was thinking of switching to a lighter weight version, likely the lightweight double xlc. Now if I ditch the pad (I had thought double layers were made for pads, now I recognize more for reinforcement), I could go to the single layer and really save weight. I'm 6'3" and 190lbs, would anyone recommend either the lightweight double or the single? I'm thinking the lightweight double may be best just for more support for my frame.

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    Could I ask for a bit more advice? I'm using a heavyweight double xlc I purchased slightly used. I was thinking of switching to a lighter weight version, likely the lightweight double xlc. Now if I ditch the pad (I had thought double layers were made for pads, now I recognize more for reinforcement), I could go to the single layer and really save weight. I'm 6'3" and 190lbs, would anyone recommend either the lightweight double or the single? I'm thinking the lightweight double may be best just for more support for my frame.
    I'm exactly the same height / weight as you. Never had an XLC, but have had a double layer (thinking the same as you, that I'd start with a pad) and now switched to single layer.
    Pads suck, even in a double layer hammock. I've switched to single layer hammocks. I've not tried one of the ultra lightweight single layers .. mine would be very similar to the 40D that Warbonnet is now offering. Great fabric from all reports. Soft, cotton feel. Go single... decide on what UQ fits your AT needs is my advice.

After the hammock itself and a tarp that will keep you dry (fan of UGQ's Winter Dream (canoe camping) and the ThunderFly / MiniFly (backpacking) ... THE item out of all three that will bring you the most joy and is the next purchase is an UQ.

I won't make a recommendation on the UQ's for the XLC... plenty of other actual users here... just chiming in because of your fabric question & matching your size w/ mine.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast