Winter camping spots near Sutton WV

I'm looking for winter hanging options within a 30 minute drive (15 minutes would be ideal) of the Flatwoods Days Inn & Suites located at 350 Days Drive in Sutton WV. There's a KOA nearby but I'm pretty sure it's RV only. There are several WMAs but all seem to be at least 45 minutes away. Primitive camping (ie, no amenities) would be perfect. Or maybe someone on this board lives nearby and I can camp in their yard? TIA for any help you can give.

Hammock
    DIY Chameleon Compatible AIRWAVE1.8
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly XL
    Insulation
    Habanero/Serrano
    Suspension
    Straps/Beetles
    They may only offer group camping, but you could check out Holly Gray Park. Looks like the Bulltown Campground at Burnsville lake has walk-up available until end of November (not sure exactly what timeframe you had in mind.) Unless they've changed their scheduling, most of the Corps of Engineers sites in the area shut down late autumn to early spring which would limit you to one of the WMAs or a state park (which will be farther out than your 30 minute drive unfortunately.) I don't know if these folks are still in business, but we have family that camped there years ago. There may be some options here as well. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jgreenewv View Post
    They may only offer group camping, but you could check out Holly Gray Park. Looks like the Bulltown Campground at Burnsville lake has walk-up available until end of November (not sure exactly what timeframe you had in mind.) Unless they've changed their scheduling, most of the Corps of Engineers sites in the area shut down late autumn to early spring which would limit you to one of the WMAs or a state park (which will be farther out than your 30 minute drive unfortunately.) I don't know if these folks are still in business, but we have family that camped there years ago. There may be some options here as well. Good luck!
    Thanks so much for the suggestion of Holly-Gray Park. I will contact them and see what they offer. Definitely close by. Your other link didn't show up until I replied to your post but it looks like that place is open year round so I will contact them too. I'm looking to camp in December so, yes, unfortunately many places are shut down. I have located a couple year round mostly RV parks within 30 minutes so I'm finding some options, just not the most palatable ones (I'm not fond of campgrounds). Thanks again.

• + New Posts