Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post

To your other point though;if you are a year round net user... eventually I should develop an integrated net version....
    which eliminates the need for the net/sock combo anyway.
    Since I always use a net, this would be the best thing for me. I might be in the minority, though. That is just one place that I always choose to spend some weight (on whatever hammock I am in).

I really enjoy your logic talking through these ideas. In the end, trying to be more minimalistic with a smaller tarp and the uqp might be better achieved by a dcf winter tarp.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    A 1.0 single layer is about 8oz, you put whatever net option you want with it. I take a 1oz headnet with me as its sometimes needed during daytime. Rarely use it at night, but good to have just in case. Pretty covered up with TQ otherwise.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvankirk View Post
    Since I always use a net, this would be the best thing for me. I might be in the minority, though. That is just one place that I always choose to spend some weight (on whatever hammock I am in).

I really enjoy your logic talking through these ideas. In the end, trying to be more minimalistic with a smaller tarp and the uqp might be better achieved by a dcf winter tarp.
    You're not alone- especially in your area.
    I've only had one person return the bridge due to no integrated net. That was a heat issue for them as the bottom entry blocked enough breeze that it wasn't usable in the lowland wetland area they frequented.

I'm sure I miss a few sales for it.

To an extent it's a 'value issue' again.
    The premium bridges are expensive as is. I am working on some hybrid construction options to reduce costs.

I like being able to sit up inside the current net and would like to replicate that feeling. Ideally I'd do a rainbow door (like a tent) on one side, with some storage options on the opposite side.

It's not impossible, but the recessed bar design complicates that plan and would require additional detailing well beyond the basic 'coffin lid' that JRB or Warbonnet uses. Not that either are really big enough you could sit up in them... but mine are and it would be a shame to lose that function. Brandon has a patent on the flexible bug net attachment device as well.

My rough estimate was an easy $100, probably $150 bump in the base price. Not the end of the world perhaps to spring for a $500 bridge for those who are really happy with them... but still. A steep price to try one out. So to be blunt I figured it's better saved for down the line as the product's reputation grows enough to justify it.

And of course that would likely tip it beyond the realistic parameters of a lightweight backpacking option in the Luxury or Big Guy sizes regarding final trail weight.... so someone like you may be more likely to leave it on the shelf as a result.
    It's possible I can come up with a creative solution to the weight issues but even if I break even vs. the regular net it's still a tough sell for many.

The bigger market is for the casual users on that model. Home sleepers, car campers, paddlers, hunters, or low mile base campers. Nothing wrong with that type of trip but I think the value for that user would be to ignore the scale and equip it with storage and creature comfort over minimalism. Having more of a 'floating tent' concept with extra storage and pockets.

So long run... for someone like you personally we're back full circle to building out that backpacking bridge and potentially sealing that up. Skip the rainbow door and minimize the seated option to just where you need it.. or even go with more than just a lid but less interior volume than a full tent. I think with some care and compromise... I could do a netted version that came in less than bridge plus bottom entry net. In that case there is value built in to justify the cost.

Biggest thing for me always- Don't mess up the core product.
    There are ways to slap a net on these easy enough... but you can easily limit the flexibility of the bridges.

While most folks do find a 'spot' and lock in the adjustable ends or fix the ridgeline at some point; everyone seems to pick their own spot to eventually do that. There are a few folks who never settle into a single spot too... and not having to commit to a spot is what makes the bridge work right for them.

Hammock
    TrailHeadz Wraith UL or Banshee UL
    Tarp
    TrailHeadz Custom
    Insulation
    Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Breeze Buckles
    As far as we're aware our wraith is the lightest full length integrated hammock. Here are the details from our website

https://www.trailheadzhammocks.com/product-page/wraith

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I've got a simply light designs trail lair in robic 1.2 xl that weighs about 14oz. It's 11 feet long and 62 inches wide. Talk to jarred at simply light designs. He'll help you design and make what you're looking for.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123