Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Notsew View Post
    I went backpacking, and slept in my hammock. I made some adjustments, and still had a cold butt. Despite adjusting my hammock, I still have a bad calf ridge. I believe you are right, if I can fix that ridge, the cold spot will disappear. Also, any suggestions on hammock material with less stretch than hyper d?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So despite all the tips, you still have calf ridge and cold butt? It is probably true that if you can fix that ridge you will also fix the cold spot. But how you gonna do that? As you have tried quite a # of things already(is that right?), I'm not sure what you should do next.

A while ago, I blew off all the endless trying to fix calf ridges, and/or trying to find the perfect gathered end hammock that actually had zero ridge every time. (some I would have none one night, but plenty the next night, and could not figure out what was different) So now I just use a nice fat knee pillow which for me makes them all the same. It also makes most all kinds of hammocks- for me - a bit more comfy over all, just like putting a pillow under my older patients knees helped greatly with their over all comfort on the padded Operating Room bed. This was routine for every eye/cataract surgery I ever heard of. Seems to me- not even counting calf ridge- a very comfy hammock gets even more comfy with a knee pillow.

But I don't know how or if that would help you with your cold butt. I have not really had this problem, but I tend to use short UQs(most of the time), with a pad under my legs, and that might make the fit different. But the few times I did use my full length JRB MWUQ on a gathered(WBBB), I had no cold spots butt or elsewhere(after a bunch of fiddling to get the foot end right).

Another way to blow all this off and be done with it is a bridge or 90* hammock. These types of hammocks make calf ridge a thing of the past, every time, and there is virtually no concern about trying to get some perfect hang angle, RL length, or feet high enough. There simply is not any calf ridge in my experience. Also, speaking only for my JRB bridges(I think it would be similar in my WBRR but have not done enough cold weather testing with it), I have never had a cold spot or even a cold moment with either UQs or pads.
    ( i.e. using JRB UQs and making sure the UQs are not too long. I have also used some other UQs with good results, but mainly JRB UQs on a JRB hammock, that is the majority of my bridge experience, so all I can really speak to). There are no ridges to be concerned with with these hammocks, and since the shape of the hammock and the UQ jive pretty well together, with no laying at an angle across both, I have been able to always count on any place where there is a piece of hammock fabric, there is some down in contact with it. If my foot or elbow or whatever compresses my TQ, there will be some down there on the other side of the hammock, uncompressed. Every time in my experience. (except maybe near the top edge of the hammock, near the center, well above my body, if it worries me I deal with it with an extra piece of shockcord, but I'm not at all sure it even matters)

If you ever get really tired of dealing with all of this, you might want to look into a bridge(or a 90 degree), I also much prefer these hammocks for pad use. And though you won't need a pillow to fix calf ridge, you can still use one, if desired, to boost overall comfort. Pros and cons, and you have to put up with spreader bars, and plenty of people still much prefer gathered, and I sometimes still use gathered myself. But one thing I don't think is debatable: if getting read of calf ridge is your #1 priority, a bridge ( or 90 degree ) solves the problem for good. There has never been a thread titled such as this: "I have calf pressure in my new bridge, how do I fix it?".
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 09-18-2019 at 14:00.

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    If all else fails, a piece of the thin, light shockcord (the cheap white stuff for tent poles) looped through the d-rings on the UQ and over the ridgeline and finished with a slippery hitch will help snug the butt-to-knees section of the UQ to the hammock even when you move around. I sleep head right/feet left and keep the shock cord tied to my center-right d-ring, run the line over the RL through both the center d-ring and the next one feetward finished with a hitch to itself forming a triangle on my left. I can still get in and out easily and by pulling the hitch, the line snaps back out of the way. Cheating, I know, but easy, secure, warm and toasty.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Notsew View Post
    I went backpacking, and slept in my hammock. I made some adjustments, and still had a cold butt. Despite adjusting my hammock, I still have a bad calf ridge. I believe you are right, if I can fix that ridge, the cold spot will disappear. Also, any suggestions on hammock material with less stretch than hyper d?

Specifically- Stretchy to firm
    HyperD
    Hexon
    Mountain Series Hybrid

That applies to both the 1ish and 1.6 ish sets of fabric.
    It also applies on a 'softness' to 'roughness' spectrum with HyperD being silky and Hybrid being a bit rougher. Hexon floats in the middle of them both.

If you have made other attempts and you're not even close to busting the calf ridge- I'd just jump to the Hybrid 1.7.
    I think Hexon 1.6 would be an improvement but might not solve your more extreme case.

Ideally you could try them at a group hang in some way... but easier said than done sometimes.

If all else fails- BillyBob is right- try a bridge.

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    If no one else has mentioned this. Your comparing a parachute hammock which is between 9-10’ long to a 12 foot long hammock. Your going to have a freaking huge difference in how the ya mates to your hammock than to the shorter one. Triangle thingees, extra pack hooks on your hammock to lift the quilt or plain old shock cord to your ridgeline. Longer you go the more of a pia it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Firesong View Post
    If no one else has mentioned this. Your comparing a parachute hammock which is between 9-10’ long to a 12 foot long hammock. Your going to have a freaking huge difference in how the ya mates to your hammock than to the shorter one. Triangle thingees, extra pack hooks on your hammock to lift the quilt or plain old shock cord to your ridgeline. Longer you go the more of a pia it will be.
    His parachute hammock is 12 foot, and 84 inches wide

I have both a 12 foot and 11 foot hammock in hyper d, and this weekend I spent some time messing around with them. I adjusted both ridge lines to 86% and it got rid of the calf ridge on both, and it seemed to cause the underquilt to fit better. I will have to test it out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123