Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    90 degree Gamma Hammock
    Tarp
    Rab sil III
    Insulation
    exped synmat
    Ï have the same problem.
    I think it's because of the small air pocket that exist where your legs and knees slightly bend. Its at that spot that the underquilt cannot hug the body tightly.

For me the coldspot only occurs when I'm at the limit of the temperature range of the quilt.
    So a warmer quilt could solve it maybe.

Cheers

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC U11 met Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Notsew View Post
    ...constantly get cold spots especially if their is a breeze. I can’t figure out where I’m loosing my heat.
    It's almost certainly a gap between hammock and underquilt somewhere. Most likely spot for gaps, at least for me, is on the foot end but it can happen on the head end as well as demonstrated by the photo I'll attach to this post.

If you haven't done so yet, lie in the hammock with a helper outside to look and snap photos. Set up your hammock and underquilt as you normally would and then have your helper look for and photograph the ends of your setup. You'll be looking for gaps where the underquilt is pulling or falling away from the hammock. Adjust your suspension to get rid of the gaps. You may have to tighten it; you may have to loosen it, depending on the root cause.

The other thing that could happen is the quilt sagging away from the hammock around your butt. That creates a pocket of air underneath you that can be affected by the breeze. The solution is to snug the quilt up against the hammock bottom. On a gathered end you'd accomplish that mostly by tightening the suspension on the ends, lifting the quilt up more.

Good luck and post your findings as you investigate.

gap.jpg
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    With a hammock that long there ends up being longer folds on the end.
    If tweaking your UQ does not fix it try using an underquilt protector to help stop the cold from getting in. Especially helps with the breezes.
    My UQ Playlist.....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...mBYSPGHjdyGqsL may find some insight.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

It might be worth noting that the cold spots disappear when I place my left leg against the side of my hammock (my legs are in the shape of a 4. Right one straight, left one bent. ) Also I sleep with an inflatable pillow under my ankles. The pressure on my heels hurt throughout the night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HGUQ 10 | WBDB 20
    Suspension
    Marlin Sp. Whpies
    You might be stringing up too tight, or not sealing the underquilt quite enough... I slept through a pretty hefty breeze really early in the spring this year and had that wind cutting right into my quilt, giving me a nasty bit of CBS despite having the quilt done up properly. I think a UQ Protector would help out like Shug said, I know I wish I had one that night... Cold spots suck man, I hope you get it figured out soon.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I remember the 1.7 ripstop hammock I had. Every single time I took that out I had cold legs and usually butt. Different setup, different underquilts, nothing helped. I think the zero stretch made it a little less forgiving with the UQ. Even a perfect setup wasn't good enough.

Thanks for all the tips, I have a trip coming up in a couple weeks. I have some things I can try.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    It might be worth noting that the cold spots disappear when I place my left leg against the side of my hammock (my legs are in the shape of a 4. Right one straight, left one bent. ) Also I sleep with an inflatable pillow under my ankles. The pressure on my heels hurt throughout the night.

Two things-
    First is to make sure that as you pick a side for your feet- you then tug the UQ over very far and pop the primary suspension over your feet. The quilt is hanging inline, you are on a diagonal. The outside shoulder is pretty easy as you can reach over and grab that, but the foot side is less intuitive. You sometimes have to poke your feet in while you tug the quilt to get the suspension up and over. This pulls the quilt more inline with how you are sleeping. Your shoulders are relatively wide and help spread the quilt open and around you. Your feet though are a much smaller point of contact and it's easy to 'miss' getting the footside in the right spot. This often makes a small hole to the inside of your hammock where the air seeps in. On your shoulder side- the quilt fits like a nice soft 'C' shape. On your foot side- the quilt fits more like a nike logo 'swoosh' shape. If you don't get that suspension up and over your toes then the open part of that swoosh stays open.

First thing part two: Don't be afraid to crank down your end adjustment too tight to start... though sometimes that can force the quilt into a circle shape as well. But seems easier to go a bit too tight and back off in my opinion. A buddy to check for you is the biggest help for that issue.

Second-
    When you go into that figure 4 (ballerina):
    That tends to help issue 1 since you are stretching/flattening the footbox area in a similar way your shoulders work to spread the hammock and create an easier shape to seal up.

As others mentioned though- it's also a good indicator that you have a calf ridge issue.
    Adjusting the position of your butt, aggressively pushing the calf ridge out with your feet, playing with the sag, or going to a figure 4 leg position all help. I find if I put my butt off center towards my shoulder side, that helps the most for me. But others argue the opposite.

If you are fighting too much... as One Click mentioned you may simply have the wrong fabric for you.
    Gathered ends are weird. What is perfect for your identical twin may be a problem for you.

Calf Ridge is actually the loadbearing line of tension created when you lay in the hammock. You can alter or fine tune the location of that line to a certain extent with adjustment to your RL and your body. When you go to a figure four leg position you are spreading your load in the same way your torso spreads it on the head side (why we never get 'shoulder ridge').

The reason jacking up the foot end 12-18" can help is it tends to create a line directly from the gather to your tailbone, which you can more easily lay your feet to one side or the other.
    It's also a reason increasing your sleep angle can help.

However beyond the simple combination of fabric and size... there are dozens of little variables that cause it.
    In part that's why many suggest trying a different fabric or length. If the fabric is too stretchy... you bottom out and create a deeper/harder calf ridge. If the fabric is too firm, it doesn't deflect and you get hard spots or a shore shoulder. You're shooting for even support.

Bottom line:
    The better job you do resolving calf ridge, the better your quilt will fit.
    If you have a very bad calf ridge line or scoop... it's going to suck air in no matter how much you fuss with your quilt and it might be time to move on.

I went backpacking, and slept in my hammock. I made some adjustments, and still had a cold butt. Despite adjusting my hammock, I still have a bad calf ridge. I believe you are right, if I can fix that ridge, the cold spot will disappear. Also, any suggestions on hammock material with less stretch than hyper d?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I went backpacking, and slept in my hammock. I made some adjustments, and still had a cold butt. Despite adjusting my hammock, I still have a bad calf ridge. I believe you are right, if I can fix that ridge, the cold spot will disappear. Also, any suggestions on hammock material with less stretch than hyper d?

I used RSBTR's Mountain 1.7 in my last DIY hammock. Hardly any stretch with my 200 pounds in it. Exactly what I was shooting for and definitely the most comfortable of my dozen hammocks, IMO.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast