Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Whoa, I dig that test rig!

I would also like to get the full story behind that 1.9 ripping in such a manner, devil being in the details and such.

I use only knots — slipped buntline or sewn loop at tree, and Lapp hitch to hammock CL — and mine are totally fine after about 10 nights of hanging. But I'm about 170lb and a GE hanger... for somebody over 200lb using a bridge, I'd think twice because of the shallower suspension angle.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    20190822_013641396_iOS.jpg

1.5 ounces is about the lowest I currently use... haven't messed with the 1.5g straps yet but no reason not to.

That's a pair of 4' huggers, 6' whoopies, and two soft shackles.

That said- I tend to agree with cmoulder that the 2.2g Kevlar isn't as nice as the 3.3 Kevlar.
    And perhaps it's time to check out some of Anne's stuff.

It's pretty amazing the explosion of webbing options as that was always the weak point in cracking the UL side of things.
    I still remain impressed by all the splicing gymnastics Grizz did to reduce strap needs.
    I still have a small scar on my nose trying to hang on 3/4" grosgrain too, lol.

But seems to be an almost complete 180 considering using pure strap and a few knots. Haven't quite gotten into that yet but the math makes sense.

Hammock
    Autumn Outdoor Gear
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Duster
    Insulation
    LSOH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    20190822_013641396_iOS.jpg

1.5 ounces is about the lowest I currently use... haven't messed with the 1.5g straps yet but no reason not to.

That's a pair of 4' huggers, 6' whoopies, and two soft shackles.

That said- I tend to agree with cmoulder that the 2.2g Kevlar isn't as nice as the 3.3 Kevlar.
    And perhaps it's time to check out some of Anne's stuff.

It's pretty amazing the explosion of webbing options as that was always the weak point in cracking the UL side of things.
    I still remain impressed by all the splicing gymnastics Grizz did to reduce strap needs.
    I still have a small scar on my nose trying to hang on 3/4" grosgrain too, lol.
    I've done some fun experiments too. I've made UCR's and whoopie slings from 2mm Spectra.

One day I made a pair of tree straps from Mountain 1.7 fabric. I used them with an old pair of Hammock Fan Hammock Anchors. It had a lot of stretch to it but it worked!

56825511_1267276013439071_7139210650772832256_n.jpg

57176926_1267275916772414_9090087403384733696_n.jpg

56994105_1267275973439075_8830247950765522944_n.jpg
    My name is Anne Marie and I make things.
    www.autumnoutdoorgear.com

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldautumndays View Post
    I've done some fun experiments too. I've made UCR's and whoopie slings from 2mm Spectra.

One day I made a pair of tree straps from Mountain 1.7 fabric. I used them with an old pair of Hammock Fan Hammock Anchors. It had a lot of stretch to it but it worked!

56825511_1267276013439071_7139210650772832256_n.jpg

57176926_1267275916772414_9090087403384733696_n.jpg

56994105_1267275973439075_8830247950765522944_n.jpg

I did the same with Hex 70 at one point prior to the hybrid 1.7 coming out (which probably would work better)

I like all these UHWPE and Kevlar straps much better, lol.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    And I'm not sure about generic spectra or other thin lines...
    But I've never had any real issues with the Dynaglide. It's not 10:1 safety factor but it's still pretty solid stuff for a 200lb user.
    Soft shackles are doubled up... so is a whoopie sling.

Many here think it's pretty extreme but I never really did.
    You can get a solid season (100+ nights) out of the stuff and provided you don't use the green- it's easy to splice.
    Not everything needs to last 10 years... and load bearing stuff should be inspected and swapped out anyway as needed.

There are some folks happily 'willing to die" along with Sgt. Rock on this issue and I think it is worth offering them some UL options providing everyone knows what is involved. Not everything needs to be "bomber". Or as one of the local hangers put it... attempting to idiot proof something only creates improved idiots.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I did a full season on dynaglide ucrs.. moved away from them long before the end of their usable life (to the 12' kevlar straps and a simple becket to dynaglide CL's). I still carry them in my kit in the event I need some extra length.

This is the first time someone has confirmed the green dynaglide being harder to splice. I thought it was me.

the user experience with 2.2 Kevlar (and 1.9) is light years beyond that of the 3.3 Kevlar, especially if you're using a J-Bend or Becket.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DW Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DW Asym DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ/Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Becket
    I recently started using the myerstech 1.4g/ft dyneema straps and I've had repeated issues with a j bend slipping. I really have no clue what's going on there, it could be that those straps (similarly to the dutchware spider) tend to fold up very easily. This makes them behave more like cord than like straps and creates issues. That folding is also an issue when it comes to leaving no trace on the tree you're hanging from. You have to flatten the straps out by running your thumb along them when wrapping them around the tree. I'm testing out Phantom Grappler's carolina beckett hitch (seen here) and feel significantly more secure on it, especially with the addition of the slip knot as "insurance," as Phantom Grappler calls it. Jeff Myers takes this to the next level with this system, which I think I'll try next. For me, figuring out how to get these straps to hold reliably is totally worth it because they are insanely light, .75oz for each 15ft strap, and because I'm tying the strap directly to the CL on the hammock, it's extremely versatile, with no tree being too narrow and very few being too wide, even in the PNW.

Due to a mixture of laziness and lightweight webbing being a pain to get locally, I just left the whoopie slings on my SLD hammock, and use a J-bend at the other end. All of the usual benefits of the J-bend (I can always connect to the CL if I need a really short hang), plus the convenience of using the whoopie slings for fine adjustments when I inevitably get it a bit wrong on the first attempt, and I never need to mess around with adjusting the whoopie slings if they're frozen, because I can just do the J-bend thing instead. I'll cut the whoopie slings into UCRs so there isn't as much friction when adjusting eventually, but laziness is currently winning there.

My two DIY hammocks are currently sharing a suspension system, which is a single piece setup with a UCR on each side (again, J-bended to the tree straps), down to a button knot tied in the loop of an alpine butterfly knot, with the other tail of the alpine butterflies forming the ridgeline. To set up, I set the suspension up first, then attach the hammock CLs to the button knots by going through the loop of the alpine butterfly, then over the end (evo loop style).

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I did a full season on dynaglide ucrs.. moved away from them long before the end of their usable life (to the 12' kevlar straps and a simple becket to dynaglide CL's). I still carry them in my kit in the event I need some extra length.

This is the first time someone has confirmed the green dynaglide being harder to splice. I thought it was me.

the user experience with 2.2 Kevlar (and 1.9) is light years beyond that of the 3.3 Kevlar, especially if you're using a J-Bend or Becket.
    LOL, I've mentioned the 'green devil' before but hopefully word will continue to spread. The coating to get that neon green is just so thick its almost as if it is dipped in wax.

I too gave up on the UCRs in dynaglide eventually. The whoopies seem to last at least a hard season if not more.

24' of 2.2 isn't any lighter than my current 1.5 ounce setup... though I agree it's pretty clean and versatile.
    24' of 1.5g technically slips in at 1.26 ounces (plus a few grams of soft shackles)... but stunning laziness is preventing me from committing to learning the becket to save that 1/4 ounce or less.
    Maybe a break even if I count the neurons loaded with new information were I to learn the knot. Though that is likely balanced by the brain cells I kill with the evening bourbon. SUL calculations are tough

One of these days I'll play with the straps... just ordered some turtles from a local hanger to try though. Couldn't help myself

Hammock
    DW Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DW Asym DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ/Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Becket
    Where did you get your 2.2 and 1.5g kevlar straps Bill?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast