Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG incubators and

Lightweight suspension options (venom webbing/Evo/Becket hitch)

I have been laid up after surgery and have had nothing but time right now. Doing some research on how to lighten our suspension systems, but still end up with something easy to adjust. I am thinking about switching from our current Warbonnet cinch buckle setup with a carabineer to Ripstops Venom webbing with an Eno loop Becket hitched to the continuous loop. The weight drop is significant for two setups at 13 ounces. I have seen some reviews saying they have had issues with the Becket hitch failing. Wondering if this setup is really touchy to get right and if adjustments take a long time to do. I like the simplicity of the buckle setup, but 13 ounces is a lot of savings. I have paid more for less weight savings (DCF tarp). If you use a setup similar to this please let me know if you like it or if you switched to something different.

Images
    If you are concerned about becket hitch failure, switch to the JBend knot. It will not slip. All other components stay the same. You can skip the extra evo loop if you want to just tie a knot of any sort.

Aside: because I often bring extra suspension material as backup, I find that the weight savings from using lighter strategies is not that much. Getting rid of the caribiner in your setup will be an obvious savings, but beyond that I think we’re just splitting hairs.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I second the J-Bend. Invented by one of our own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk-P-MVnMPk

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Lightweight suspension options (venom webbing/Evo/Becket hitch)

Billcole, My YouTube David Hughes, Phantom Grappler Recommended Ties part 2 at about 4 minutes and 10 seconds in shows Carolina Becket Hitch
    Easy to adjust to where you want your suspension to be
    Carolina Becket Hitch can slip the distance from slip knot to rest of knot—about one inch
    J-Bend does not slip at all but it’s harder to gauge exactly where you suspension will be. With practice you can get much better at placing J-Bend
    Good luck and have fun with your rig
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 08-24-2019 at 16:09.

Hammock
    bit.ly/2m61xEz
    Tarp
    bit.ly/2mZLRIw
    Insulation
    bit.ly/2pZjkEn
    Suspension
    bit.ly/2LY6heV
    I've used Dutch's Spider Web 1.5 straps, which are extremely slippery, in a simple becket hitch on Amsteel continuous loops for plenty of nights and had no problems with slippage. AFAIK they are the lightest straps on the market (1.5 g/ft). I weigh 200+ lbs in my birthday suit.

If you are concerned about slippage you can use a double becket hitch, or add a security toggle as demonstrated in this video by Warbonnet.

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    Of the 4 or so ultra light uhmwpe style webbing i have, they all slip on beckett. J bend fixed that. Spider, warbonnets, myerstech stuff, and venom. Some released from j bend easier then others.
    The light kevlar webbing offered by autumn is about the same weight and holds a beckett fine. Never had that slip with beckett.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chapinb View Post
    Of the 4 or so ultra light uhmwpe style webbing i have, they all slip on beckett. J bend fixed that. Spider, warbonnets, myerstech stuff, and venom. Some released from j bend easier then others.
    The light kevlar webbing offered by autumn is about the same weight and holds a beckett fine. Never had that slip with beckett.
    I too "did the rounds" with a few of the available uhmwpe options and ended up back at Kevlar. Kevlar 3.3 is fine and I could use it 'til the cows come home, but Autumn Ultralight's 1.9 kevlar straps are 'da bomb'! (Although it appears they might not be in stock at the moment... glad I snapped up a couple of sets when she had them)
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG incubators and
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I too "did the rounds" with a few of the available uhmwpe options and ended up back at Kevlar. Kevlar 3.3 is fine and I could use it 'til the cows come home, but Autumn Ultralight's 1.9 kevlar straps are 'da bomb'! (Although it appears they might not be in stock at the moment... glad I snapped up a couple of sets when she had them)
    I checked on the Kevlar straps and it sounds like there was a concern because one person said theirs failed so they are doing some testing. Not sure how many are out there, but I am guessing the failure was more than likely operator error. Seems like a stand-up company if they are taking the feedback so seriously.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I'll second the Autumn Ultralight 1.9.. I use them with Becket without issue.

I have multiple sets of 2.2 kevlar as well and have been using that with the Becket hitch for longer than I can remember. No issue.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Autumn Outdoor Gear
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Duster
    Insulation
    LSOH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    Hello everyone.

Thank you for the kind words and for the recommendation!

I have temporarily removed the kevlar 1.9 webbing from my website. A customer wrote me back after buying a set and said that after a week on the trail one tree strap ripped in the middle. Not at the stitching. He didn't provide me with any photos or send them back to me so I don't know what to think. Maybe they were wrapped around a sharp part of the tree and it damaged the strap? Anyhow, I refunded him and he turned around and and used the refund to buy a pair of my 3 gram per foot Dyneema tree straps and some of my tarp pole mods.

I've been hanging on these Kevlar straps for a while now and I've never had an issue and this was the first time anyone said anything to me.

However, mistakes do happen. I once shredded a polyester strap when I had it in the cinch buckle at an angle. Oops...

I'm going to be pull testing my new Titanium Cinch Buckles this weekend and while I am at it I am going to pull test the kevlar webbing.

The Kevlar should be back on the website soon. I just want all of you to be safe out there!

68802592_2638295889535379_8457271801074941952_o.jpg
    Last edited by Coldautumndays; 08-28-2019 at 23:33.
    My name is Anne Marie and I make things.
    www.autumnoutdoorgear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast