Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by erric View Post
    What caused the close call on Copper Ridge? Lack of trees? Thinking of doing that trail next year.
    Yes, lack of hang-able trees in the designated camping area. They were generally way too small. I thought I might have to camp in an unofficial area, but was able to use my and my friends' bear bag line to reinforce the trees, pulling the opposite way against the hammock suspension... just like a suspension bridge. Not ideal, but it worked, and there are bear boxes at most of the campsites so we didn't need the bear line for hanging food.

EDIT: to stress (as previously mentioned) that this was at Boundary Camp... Copper Lake was tight but easily workable, and Indian Creek was fine. I can't speak for the other campsites.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 09-06-2019 at 12:50.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Almost all of this is "risk management." The key is to actually PRACTICE your options, so that they are not "in theory" when you need to use them.

To be clear, I live in Texas, so local definitions of "winter" and "cold" may vary slightly from your area. But, I have also lived in places with snowfall that is best measured in "feet" and not "inches" (but not in areas where "yards" or "meters" would be a better unit to use). Hopefully, my approach will be slightly more "universal" than my current local weather may imply.

In fall/spring, I have enough clothing to keep me warm while I am walking or working -- but when I sit, I start to shiver -- and that is what the UQ & TQ or sleeping bags are for. In winter, I make sure that I have enough clothing to keep me warm while I am sitting still, indefinitely -- then I ALSO have the UQ & TQ or sleeping bag as insurance.

Look up the "Mor's Super Shelter". It is amazing the difference that a couple of space blankets and a painters drop cloth can make, when combined with a long fire. With the right planning, you put a Super Shelter over a hammock. The Super Shelter is one of those once-in-a-lifetime genuis inventions that turns everything on its head.

Carry a sufficiently robust axe AND saw to make harvesting firewood as easy as practical. When you find yourself standing in 4 ft of snow, that is no time to be busting out a Bacco Laplander.

If there will be snow, also carry a snow shovel. This is one time when the right tool is the right choice -- improvisation has always fallen short for me. If you are in a group, you may only need one of each tool -- so you can divide up the load.

If you must GTG, you NEED insulation from the ground. Clear the snow to bare earth (you did bring a shovel, right?). The hole, and resulting "pile" of snow should be arranged to act as a wind break. Put your insulation inside the hole. This is one time when then 4mm ultralight yoga mat is not going to cut it. 18" of leaves or spruce boughs, 4" of a self inflating pad, an improvised raised bed -- all good options, none are best constructed AFTER dark and DURING the storm.

In terms of "backup" gear -- I have a solid "Plan B" (and Plans "C" and "D") for how I would handle any particular gear failure -- and I have PRACTICED those plans BEFORE I leave for a snow filled winter trip.

If suspension hardware fails, I have knots that I have practiced and know how to insert into my suspension.
    If suspension webbing or lines fail, I can repurpose the structural ridgeline.
    If the hammock rips, I can repurpose the tarp -- you can fold a 3x3m tarp into a dandy 1x3m gathered end hammock, with pockets for insulation.
    If I must GTG (oh the horrors!) I can effectively insulate myself from the ground.

The point is to have options...because what seems like a good alternative at 4pm as the sun is going down, might not seem like the best choice at 4am when the blizzard really starts pouring it on.

Also, realize that comfort is relative. Once you are into your contingency plan...you are also on your way to rescue, either self or calling for help. Survival is the goal, and comfort is relative. What you need to avoid frostbite is very different than what you need to be perfectly comfortable.

Images
    Semiuseless:
    "If suspension webbing or lines fail, I can repurpose the structural ridgeline.
    If the hammock rips, I can repurpose the tarp -- you can fold a 3x3m tarp into a dandy 1x3m gathered end hammock, with pockets for insulation. "

Very interesting concept, and possibly some very good tips! Not Semiuseless at all! Way to go, new poster(only 5th post!)
    Repurposed structural RL! And, if the hammock rips you are unlikely to make a good enough field repair to safely hold your weight, I would guess. But the doubled up tarp will, and it will have a built in pad pocket! However, you may well be able to make a good enough repair on the hammock to convert it to a mini- though not very water proof- tarp, to at least keep most of the light and straight down rain off of you. Especially if you place it very close to the hammock, like the HH tarp is designed for. Or sling it towards the wind if that needs blocking. Maybe. Better than nothing?
    Just a thought of making some use out of a torn hammock. And if the rain and wind start demanding a bigger and more water proof tarp, give up and go to ground, putting the tarp back to it's original use.

Reminds me of the report DeJoHa gave one time of being way up high on the San Fran Peaks. For whatever reason(can't remember), even though he was well within the temp range of his quilts, he found himself getting too close to hypothermia. I think some shivering might have appeared. Then he remembered his recent article here about vapor barriers. Since chance of rain was close to zero, he wrapped his tarp around his self inside of his quilts. A near hypothermic and miserable experience was converted to toasty warm and a comfy nights sleep. Dual purpose tarp! And now I know of a 3rd potential use: as a hammock!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 09-06-2019 at 13:04.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456