SB Pro (modified)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Spider/Poly
    Quote Originally Posted by vsiddhartha View Post
    If you are using a UQ, do you carry a backup CCF pad?
    Thanks in advance for your insights!
    vsiddhartha - I’ve been impressed with the responses given and I think it’s astute of you and others to consider carrying a backup CCF (perhaps torso length) pad for hammock winter treks. That’s experience talking to be sure.

This past winter I took an overnight solo winter trip. Started in afternoon with heavy rain and temps in the 30s and managed to do about 5 miles. Decided on a spot to set up my hammock with only about 30 minutes daylight remaining. To my dismay I discovered I was without my hammock straps. Perhaps I could have rigged some makeshift substitutes with doubled up paracord but I opted not to. I went to the cold, wet ground and had a rather unpleasant evening making the most of it. Set up a ground shelter with Superfly tarp. Slept with one half of me on top of backpack and the other half on top of large trash bag filled with clothing for insulation. The top of me was ok with the down UQ, down bag, and down jacket. Throughout the night I did best to minimize contact of the down articles to the wet ground.

Key takeaways:
    • The Warbonnet Superfly makes an excellent go-to-ground shelter and becomes a tent when staked closed to the ground.
    • I'll never take another winter hammock trip without a backup CCF pad.
    • I’ll throw in more contingencies in winter due to higher stakes weather-wise (ej. Maybe throw in a space blanket). Besides equipment failure one must also factor in human error as my experience demonstrates.
    • Prefer to store hammock straps in same stuff sack as hammock to prevent a repeat of the above situation.
    • Will be more careful with packing checklist/inventory pre-trip.
    • The experiential aspect of making mistakes is extremely effective at raising awareness and improving one’s ability to manage risk and safety for future trips.
    Last edited by Hiker_Section; 08-28-2019 at 12:38.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiker_Section View Post
    vsiddhartha - I’ve been impressed with the responses given and I think it’s astute of you and others to consider carrying a backup CCF (perhaps torso length) pad for hammock winter treks. That’s experience talking to be sure.

This past winter I took an overnight solo winter trip. Started in afternoon with heavy rain and temps in the 30s and managed to do about 5 miles. Decided on a spot to set up my hammock with only about 30 minutes daylight remaining. To my dismay I discovered I was without my hammock straps. Perhaps I could have rigged some makeshift substitutes with doubled up paracord but I opted not to. I went to the cold, wet ground and had a rather unpleasant evening making the most of it. Set up a ground shelter with Superfly tarp. Slept with one half of me on top of backpack and the other half on top of large trash bag filled with clothing for insulation. The top of me was ok with the down UQ, down bag, and down jacket. Throughout the night I did best to minimize contact of the down articles to the wet ground.

Key takeaways:
    • The Warbonnet Superfly makes an excellent go-to-ground shelter and becomes a tent when staked closed to the ground.
    • I’ll throw in more contingencies in winter due to higher stakes weather-wise (ej. Maybe throw in a space blanket)
    • The experiential aspect of making mistakes is extremely effective at raising awareness and improving one’s ability to manage risk and safety for future trips.
    Great post! There is nothing quite like personal experience. Whether human error as you had there or a snow loaded branch breaking off and puncturing your tarp(seen it happen), or condensation in your breathable down(seen it happen), or gear breaking etc, stuff happens. I've seen it happen on occassion since I started backpacking in 1983, though usually not to me(knock on wood). If it can be done, then just walk out with trip ruined or delayed. If the walk out can't be done in one day(or if there are injuries), then it is a different story.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings

Key takeaways:
    • I’ll throw in more contingencies in winter due to higher stakes weather-wise (ej. Maybe throw in a space blanket). Besides equipment failure one must also factor in human error as my experience demonstrates.
    • Prefer to store hammock straps in same stuff sack as hammock to prevent a repeat of the above situation.
    My take away from that situation would be a bit different. Since the essential problem was a lack of tree straps, I would fix that problem rather than go to ground by carrying a backup CCF pad. As a matter of fact, I normally carry a spare Amsteel set of lines with additional cord that I could make replacement straps and hanging lines. It wouldn't be my first choice to hang from since it's more stressful/damaging to the trees but it weighs almost nothing and packs down into a ball that can fit in my hand.

Still, if this works for you than great, HYOH!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scrope View Post
    My take away from that situation would be a bit different. Since the essential problem was a lack of tree straps, I would fix that problem rather than go to ground by carrying a backup CCF pad. As a matter of fact, I normally carry a spare Amsteel set of lines with additional cord that I could make replacement straps and hanging lines. It wouldn't be my first choice to hang from since it's more stressful/damaging to the trees but it weighs almost nothing and packs down into a ball that can fit in my hand.

My thinking exactly. Seems that UL makes you adopt this mindset because when you carry less each bit is truly essential.

So the answer becomes, "Well, don't forget stuff, and use a checklist if you must."
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SB Pro (modified)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Spider/Poly
    Quote Originally Posted by scrope View Post

I appreciate the input. Good suggestion about the backup set of lines.

I see the essential problem as that I ended up on the ground on a cold, rainy evening in winter and it doesn't really matter how I got there [stuff happens even with the best laid plans]. I probably came across as a rookie for sharing this story but I thought it would help support the context of this thread (contingencies - cold weather hammocking in the deep backcountry).

I first came across the concept of "going to ground" on this forum and I thought it was a strange notion at the time and couldn't fathom how it might happen to me. Now that I've been colored by my experience I can definitely understand why most posters on this thread are recommending having a CCF pad backup during winter for CYA purposes. I'm not sure I'm going to sacrifice my nice Ridgerest pad but I may trim down one of those cheap blue pads as I have a few beat up ones.
    Last edited by Hiker_Section; 08-29-2019 at 20:45.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I once took two tarps and no hammock. My thought was I could use one as a tarp and...never mind.

True story though. First and last time I made that mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Carver View Post
    In cold weather, I set up a top down fire before turning in. In case something goes wrong, you can light the fire and wait for daybreak in order to hike out. If nothing goes wrong, you can get up start the fire and then return to your hammock.
    Carver,

In an extreme weather conditions, rain, snow, sleet, cold, wind etc., this is life saving advice. Prep ahead.

Thank you.

Bob

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by Draketake View Post
    Carver,

In an extreme weather conditions, rain, snow, sleet, cold, wind etc., this is life saving advice. Prep ahead.

Thank you.

Bob
    I've come to count on Carver, and pay attention most anything he has to say.
    Signature suspended

Images
    I appreciate the input. Good suggestion about the backup set of lines.

I see the essential problem as that I ended up on the ground on a cold, rainy evening in winter and it doesn't really matter how I got there [stuff happens even with the best laid plans]. I probably came across as a rookie for sharing this story but I thought it would help support the context of this thread (contingencies - cold weather hammocking in the deep backcountry).

I first came across the concept of "going to ground" on this forum and I thought it was a strange notion at the time and couldn't fathom how it might happen to me. Now that I've been colored by my experience I can definitely understand why most posters on this thread are recommending having a CCF pad backup during winter for CYA purposes. I'm not sure I'm going to sacrifice my nice Ridgerest pad but I may trim down one of those cheap blue pads as I have a few beat up ones.
    Over the years at HF, one thing has been consistently observed: people being wonderfully warm and comfy when using UQs, and people being unexpectedly cold when using UQs. There are enough threads on that subject to be worth considering.

Sometimes the reasons why are obvious and solvable for next time, but other times, it is just a big mystery. It is usually a new quilt user who is probably doing something wrong, but can not figure out what it is. With the advice of lots of experienced users here at HF, the noob usually- but not always- gets it figured out pretty quick. Sometimes it requires another knowledgeable person observing for gaps and maladjustment from the outside. A real problem if deep in the back country.

But rarely, an experienced user reports a cold back or butt, and sometimes that user can not even figure out what was different this time. At least not at the time it is happening.

So, even if never forced to ground or shelter, having a pad can still save the day/night. Yes, much of gathered end hammocks comfort may well be lost. And yes, some people suffer from sweat or condensation(others do not, or minimal). But it sure beats shivering all night, and hopefully is only needed for that one night. And in my experience, in any hammock, a pad in that hammock is still more comfy than a pad on the ground, especially with a CCF pad on the ground.

I have never used or needed a pad except on my 1st trip in 2006. I've always used either HHSSs, or Speer Pea Pods or various UQs, always with great success. There have only been 2 exceptions to this, and these were on purpose, not something going wrong. First was a back yard test of a Speer SPE stacking a full length TR Ridge Rest under a 1" thick TR inflatable torso size, in a Speer hammock. Worked great, toasty warm at 18F, no problems, comfort seemed pretty good.

But the other exception was not uncommon: Summer use down south, when the temps would occasionally dip down into the 60s or even lower during some rare way colder than average front. But the norm is trying to sleep in the heat, even if it might cool down a lot by 0500. So I would go to sleep in my original JRB BMBH. With nothing under me and maybe nothing over me. When I would wake up a couple of hours before dawn a little cold, I'd get up to pee, slide my cut off torso sized piece of WM blue pad( only 20" wide, long enough shoulders to upper thighs ) into the pad pocket, get in and go back to sleep. Never knew the pad was there except the cold went away.

So I will always have at least some minimal pad with me for contingency, for if/when things go wrong. And since I will use that pad every day as a sit pad, I can't think of any reason not to take it. The weight and bulk are already accounted for. Of course, if I simply use a pad in the first place, in my bridge or 90 degree hammocks in which comfort is just fine, that pad is no longer for contingency, or even also for a sit pad, but it now replaces a quilt. Something to consider if you can not walk out in a few hours time. And if you think you might want to sleep where there are no trees even one night? Easy choice.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 09-03-2019 at 10:05.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    Being realistic, should the unlikely happen, I'd just hike out. Again, realistically, I'm not 30+ miles in the absolute middle of nowhere and you most likely aren't either unless you happen to be deep in Alaska.
    I forgot to comment on this. As well as Alaska, there are many places in the mountain west where I can be 10 or 15 miles by often very rough trail from someplace where I hope there will be other people who can help me. But if it is my car that I need to get back to without having to sleep another night in the cold wild, then it is very easy to have over 30 miles, over a couple of mountain passes and other challenges, between me and my car. I'd say this is not uncommon on my week long Wind River Mountain trips. True, I can probably get to another trail head in < 15 miles, where I'm hoping some one can get me back to my car. Maybe. But back to my car? If I am more than a day or 2 into the hike, there is no way I'm getting back to my car without another night or two in the wild. In fact, this might apply to eastern hikers who are more than a days hike from their car, probably not all that uncommon. But you are right, most of the time for most of us, just hiking out and cancelling or delaying the trip is an option.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast