Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks for all the replies so far, lots of good experience here. Keep them coming!
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Why is risk lower in a group?
    I should have been more clear. My question is about the risk of equipment failure and how to mitigate that risk. In most groups we are more likely to have enough excess equipment (sit pads, packs, tents, extra layers, etc.) that if one member has a major failure (e.g., hammock tear wide open), it would be much easier to cobble together either a repair or backup ground insulation from the group's gear than if one were hiking solo. Maybe a more proper way to say it would be that in a group, you have access to more gear to mitigate the risk.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I've done quite a few multi-day winter trips over the years, a fair number of them solo, and have never encountered the scenario in your opening post.
    Well, you know all the sayings..."better to have and not need than to need and not have", "it only takes once", "be prepared", etc. I know my buddy wished he had a pad when his hammock split open because his glasses fell out of his ridgeline organizer in the middle of the night, got under him, and caused his hammock to split and drop him on the ground! Luckily it was not a cold weather trip, so he was just really uncomfortable the rest of the night and not freezing!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Have good gear, inspect it on a regular basis and replace webbing/cordage if it shows signs of wear. Also use the gear so you know how to set it up in adverse conditions like at night without a light or high ends. Can be a challenge to set up a tarp in high winds at night.

My gear failures have always been when using new gear that I am still playing with learning its pros and cons. So far I have never had a hammock fail although I have had some suspensions fail. One fail was when I used non rock climbing rated carabiners for part of my suspension. I knew they would fail so I set up the hammock a few inches off the ground and sure enough the binners broke when I got in the hammock.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Quote Originally Posted by vsiddhartha View Post
    I'm curious to know what folks do on deep backcountry cold-weather trips for a contingency plan should the hammock tear wide open, or suspension fail. If you had to sleep on the ground with just your UQ, layers, pack, leaves/needles for bottom insulation, it could get dangerous pretty quick if it were cold enough.

I'm a long time backpacker, but fairly new to hammocking (18 months). I spent enough time in the cold with my current setup(s) to feel pretty dialed in, but I haven't ventured to where I was more than a day's walk from the car. This winter I'm planning a couple trips where I'd like to hammock, but we will be 2-3 days from help/the vehicle at times. I'd like to hear what some of your all's strategies for dealing with potential gear failure (or loss) during these types of scenarios. If you are using a UQ, do you carry a backup CCF pad? Do you carry a barebones lightweight backup hammock and/or suspension? Likewise, do you carry a backup tarp or a bivy? In a group the risk is obviously much lower. Do you fend for yourself, or does the group have a backup plan that would work for everyone and allow the burden to be distributed?

Thanks in advance for your insights!
    I use a GG Kumo and have the torso length back pad. Worst case that's my out with my pack under my legs.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Thanks for all the replies so far, lots of good experience here. Keep them coming!

I should have been more clear. My question is about the risk of equipment failure and how to mitigate that risk. In most groups we are more likely to have enough excess equipment (sit pads, packs, tents, extra layers, etc.) that if one member has a major failure (e.g., hammock tear wide open), it would be much easier to cobble together either a repair or backup ground insulation from the group's gear than if one were hiking solo. Maybe a more proper way to say it would be that in a group, you have access to more gear to mitigate the risk.

Well, you know all the sayings..."better to have and not need than to need and not have", "it only takes once", "be prepared", etc. I know my buddy wished he had a pad when his hammock split open because his glasses fell out of his ridgeline organizer in the middle of the night, got under him, and caused his hammock to split and drop him on the ground! Luckily it was not a cold weather trip, so he was just really uncomfortable the rest of the night and not freezing!
    We each have to find a balance with which we're comfortable. If somebody wants to carry a little—or a lot—of backup gear based upon the remote possibility that something will fail, then the pack becomes heavier and heavier.

There are plenty of other things that can fail. Somebody could lose the tread on a shoe by trying to dry it by a fire.... seen that. Somebody could have a scuffed O-ring in a stove causing a massive loss of fuel... seen that. Somebody could step on a hip belt buckle and break it... seen that. Somebody could have a bear steal all their food... seen that. A snowshoe could break... seen that... my own, in fact.

We could probably have a massive thread about unforeseen (and sometimes unforseeable) stuff that ruined trips.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

For the vast majority of my cold weather, winter trips, I'm with a group and we're only going in 2-3 miles from the car. Since I'm using a pulk, extra weight isn't an issue, so I'll usually have extra suspension and a backup or loaner hammock, or even an extra tarp. For the last two winter seasons, a number of us have been using hot tents with stoves. You still prepare for cold weather the same, like any trip, but having stove is a game changer for cooking, drying gear and general comfort. Having the stove does add to the work and possible things that could go wrong, like axe, knife or chainsaw injury while prepping wood, or god forbid, burning down the whole thing.

It doesn't take much for things to go south and for me, going out with others is the only way I'll do the full-blown winter hot tent setup.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    chainsaw injury
    Not looking forward to a chain-to-the-face incident

I know a thing or two about bailing. But days away from an exit...never been there. I guess you roll the dice or carry a bunch of extra stuff, which is never fun.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Sidney Hornblower's backup kit got used to great effect one night when the dummy he went hiking with let his suspension bag with everything needed to hang fall out on the BMT because that old person thot he had attached it properly but obviously didn't.

Found the suspension on the return trip the next day.Thanks,Mr Hornblower!
    Lesson learned was to not put Essential gear like suspension in an open side pocket,goes in deep pack now.Ditto for tarp.

I do carry a minimalist spare asym tarp from SLD which can be a handy item to make a dry place for a quick break or doing the other essentials when it's raining in the dark.9 oz and worth it!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I think traveling in a group helps with gear failures. Last summer, I did an 11 day hike (mostly bushwack) in Alaska east of Denali in a pretty remote area with 4 others. On day 7, I tripped and fell down, landing on one of my trekking poles and snapped it. I had a trekking pole tent and borrowed one of their poles to set mine up. On like day 3 or 4, one of the guys Sawyer would barely filter. We backflushed it as best we could, but still couldn't get a good flow so he ended up using one of the four remaining filters. We had one day of rain, and someone had forgotten their rain gear, so they used my ground sheet (5x7 tarp) with some paracord to make an impromptu poncho.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Othello View Post
    A backup netless hammock is small and light enough to be an option, in my opinion and experience. Backup or make-shift suspension can also be pretty straight-forward.
    This is actually a great idea and I think I’ll add a netless hammock to my winter kit. I always throw in my 1 lb Klymit insulated pad in winter just in case as well. I always carry a couple extra continuous loops, and I throw in some spider daisy chain straps for a very minimal weight penalty, along with a space blanket that can be used for heat retention or even function as an emergency tarp if needed. Oh, and extra food! Those extra calories can be a life saver too.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Well, you know all the sayings..."better to have and not need than to need and not have", "it only takes once", "be prepared", etc.
    There is also another saying: "You pack your fears"

I have actually experienced the scenario you describe. The last weekend of October in 2016 I did a solo trip to Harriman SP in NY. The temperature dipped to the upper 20's with a steady 10-15 mph wind. I was new to hammock camping and found a nice spot on the AT near a shelter. Got dark early so I climbed into the hammock a 8:00pm. Being new I did not know how much it would sag and my backside was poked by a rock in the ground. As I got up to fix the hammock. Zip, the hammock shredded in half crosswise.

Solution: I turned my hex tarp into a survival shelter. Rebuilt camp for the situation and hiked out the next day after a cold night. Was not the coldest night I've spent, nor the worst, but it is memorable.

At 15 years old I got stranded by a storm from my BSA Troop up in the Canadian Bush with only my fishing pole, canoe, paddle and the contents of my tackle box and PFD for a night. That was a real Tom Sawyer Adventure night for me and a 13 year old fellow scout. We built a water/wind proof shelter out of pines, and cooked a Northern Pike over the fire on a stick. but that is another story.

I still do not carry "what-if" back-up stuff. I do watch how I set up better and how I store items.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast