Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ

Is it time to upgrade to a fancier hammock?

I've had a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter hammock for about 9 years, and have had plenty of happy nights sleeping in it. But in recent years I tend to spend more time in environments where a tent makes more sense than a hammock, so I don't use it that often. One effect of this is that when I am setting up the hammock, I'm pretty much making an educated guess as to what will make for a comfortable hang. When I took it on a month-long section of a bike tour, I eventually got enough of a feel for how to rig it that I could be comfortable every night, but it apparently takes practice to maintain this skill. I use the 30-degree angle rule of thumb as a guide, but even with that, I find it very difficult to consistently get a comfortable setup.

When using the hammock now, I more often than not have trouble staying comfortable—I can't lay completely flat, my legs feel constrained, my torso and head/neck feel too propped up. I pretty much have access to one position to lie in; if I feel the need to shift positions, I can't really, except to something unsustainably uncomfortable that I have to move again from pretty shortly. On the ground or on a bed, I tend to shift throughout the night from lying on my back to lying on either side, and in the hammock I can only really lie on my back. I'm 5'9" and around 160 pounds, for what it's worth, so not near the height or weight limitations of standard hammocks as far as I know.

My understanding is that a hammock with a structural ridgeline should solve at least the setup consistency issue by allowing me to calibrate its tension and have that stay in place whenever I hang it in the future. I'm also aware from having researched hammocks a bunch 8-9 years ago that there are hammocks with asymmetrical designs, footboxes, and the like to make for more comfortable sleeping. In the case of the ridgeline, adding one to my current hammock would be quite a process since it would require me cutting through and then somehow patching up the bug net, and I'm not a DIY guy. It's also a basic hammock design; nothing fancy or asymmetrical about it. The nice thing is that it can be very simply flipped over to go from lounging mode (bug net on the bottom) to camping mode (bug net on top)...and it was the cheapest option with a bug net when I was broke back in 2010.

Basically, what I'm wondering is whether I would be likely to benefit from a fancier hammock like a Warbonnet Blackbird, and whether my understanding of structural ridgelines as a set it/forget it mechanism is correct. Or whether, given my tendency to move often from side to back sleeping, I'm just meant to be a ground sleeper. My tent is certainly a lot quicker to set up than the hammock + tarp + underquilt—but while I'm comfortable enough on an inflatable sleeping pad, it doesn't come close in comfort to the nights in the hammock when I've been lucky/practiced enough to get the setup just right. So should I retire the Grand Trunk to loafing duty and replace it with something better for camping in the woods, or just accept that that's about as good as I'm going to do in a hammock?

I bet if you try an 11 ft cottage hammock (you can get a basic one relatively cheap), you’ll kick yourself for not upgrading sooner.

I originally had an eno, it’s not in the same league (and cost a lot more)

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You, like I aren't far from Dutchware. I emailed them, drove out to Lancaster and they let me try out a Chameleon at their shop. Maybe try that or one of their other hammocks.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Is it time to upgrade to a fancier hammock?

get a netless 11 footer from dutchwaregear.com
    they're under $50 and will give you an idea of how comfortable an 11 foot 58 inch wide hammock can be.

or do it big and get something fancy

reach out to some of the cottage vendors and ask about their return policies. try one and don't like it? some may allow returns.

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ
    So it sounds like aside from presence/absence of a structural ridgeline and asymmetrical shape, the other big variable I'm missing is just length and width? That's good to know about...maybe I should try my luck with one of these before springing for a pricey new one.

On the other hand, I certainly got my money's worth out of the Grand Trunk over the years. Maybe a quarter or 50 cents per night spent in it overall....seems like a good rationale to justify big purchases...

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Another option is to order 4 yards of fabric from Ripstop By The Roll and 50' of Amsteel. You can whip the ends and splice up a couple CLs and a ridgeline very quickly. This will be a very inexpensive way to try an 11' hammock. Hyper D 1.6 and Mtn. 1.3 are both excellent fabrics.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Dutch is having a 15% sale on all chameleons and accessories until Sat Aug 24 if you want to pull the trigger.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    You might try a cheaper netless model. Dutch usually has great deals on a few netless hammocks, and Simply Light Designs has a starter for $55 that can get you outfitted with straps, buckles, ridgeline, and the hammock.
    I know after I step away from my initial eno's, I knew I'd never go back!
    Happy Hanging!
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ
    Thanks for the recommendations. If I do upgrade the hammock, it will be for backcountry camping, so a bug net will be an absolute must! Still, good to know what other options are out there.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Basically, what I'm wondering is whether I would be likely to benefit from a fancier hammock like a Warbonnet Blackbird,
    Why the Blackbird over the XLC or Eldorado (basically, an XLC w/o the shelf)? The Blackbird has a zipper on one side only and is more expensive than the Eldorado.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast