.66oz or .75oz Membrane 10 fabric for ultralight hammock?

I was curious if anyone has used either the .66oz Membrane 10 Taffeta Nylon or the .75oz Membrane Ripstop Nylon from Ripstopbytheroll for making an ultralight hammock.

These materials don't have weight ratings as I'm sure they are not recommended for hammocks. However, materials like 1.0 HyperD or Monolite have a "weight limit" of 200lbs and I know that sometimes those are comfort ratings and NOT working or breaking strength. I also know that sometimes people who are heavier than 200lbs use those same materials with ok results. So my thoughts would be that if the "weight limit" for the .75oz is maybe 150lbs, I might be ok at my weight of 180lbs.

I would like to use this for a lounging/sitting hammock (8.5'x4.5')for my backpacking trips, I WOULD NOT use this for my sleeping hammock. I currently use a 1.1oz ripstop nylon lounging hammock and it works fine, but if I updated to a lighter hammock material and a new Spider 1.5 webbing suspension from Dutch, I could cut the weight of this "lounging hammock" in half. That could make a pretty significant reduction in my pack weight.

Any of your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    At a buck-80, I would not recommend either of those two fabrics. Go for Hexon 1.0, ignore the little weight difference, and call it a day.

I would not recommend either of those fabrics, come to think of it, at 125 either.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Don't know much about those fabrics but I've been tempted to try an ultralight hammock for Summer/early Fall outings made from 1.0 Monolite. Might be another option for you.

1.0 Monolite Fabric

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm not sure why some people are attracted to making hammocks out of material not designed for hammocks, like this person who made a hammock out of Argon 90:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...tch-Argon-cs90

If disposable hammocks float your boat, then go for it. Though I'm 5'11" and 165 lbs., I won't use anything less than 1.4. I used to own a couple of 1.1 hammocks, but they didn't last long. I even bought some Robic 1.0 XL, which Ripstopbytheroll said was light and strong and great for hammocks - until they pulled it off the market since it wasn't that great after all. Never did get around to making that Robic 1.0 XL hammock.

Years ago, several people (including Dutch) tried making a cuben fiber hammock - let's just say that cuben fiber is not at all suitable as a hammock material.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    I'm not sure why people are attracted to contrary posts that have little relevance and nothing to add to the conversation.

As the OP mentioned, this is a lounging hammock and not critical to his sleep system nor is it his primary sleep method.
    If it fails at some point... oh well. The OP's goal is to carry the lightest possible hammock so he can enjoy his backpacking trips better.

Joe:
    I have built some Membrane 10 hammocks for speed hikers and ultramarathon use. They hold up to 200lbs and can last longer than most think if careful in terms of setting up near brush.
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!Apygyt54yYPwg7U6...QS_pg?e=RITqlF

Here are a few examples- the heavier one is actually a double layer.

M-10 is the best of the SUL fabrics I have found (sub 1 ounce) however I would not go smaller than 4'x9' and found roughly 5' (roll width) x 9'9" to be a solid hammock for sleeping.
    That's a 5'x10' blank for a roughly 3.75 oz finished hammock body. These were used as primary sleep hammocks for fast and light trips.

Keep in mind that the smaller the fabric/hammock the more stress is put on it. This is for several reasons beyond the obvious one of spreading the load.

Note- in the pictures you will see that I use a ridgeline and I highly suggest using one to ensure consistent pitch with the proper sag. Many folks setting up a 9' or less lounging hammock are used to pitching them drum tight to give them some more room... this is one reason that shorties in UL fabric fail. By using an 80% or so structural ridgeline you allow the fabric to sag properly which helps it absorb stress more evenly. Much in the same way a 30* angle on your suspension reduces loads to the tree... keeping a nice sage on your hammock reduces loading on the fabric.

The ripstop fabrics (vs the taffeta finish of the M10) do not do as well at this weight as the ripstop grid distorts under loading and doesn't recover well. The taffeta finish does distort but since there is no ripstop grid you don't run the risk of overloading that as readily.

From there:
    I am very impressed with the Monolite 1.0, though my testing is limited thus far. It is firmer than other 1 ounce fabrics. For a lounging hammock in particular; the ability to see through and pass the breeze is a very nice bonus.
    I thought the idea was a gimmick of sorts but after using this in a 11' gathered end I think the fabric deserves more attention. I've slept about 10 nights in that model at 230 pounds and it pairs very nicely with a 3/4 length quilt.

1.0 Hyper D and 1.0 Hexon are both proven UL fabrics.
    My preference is the softer Hyper D, though the Hexon is technically stronger in that weight.

I suspect the issue with Robic 1.0 had more to do with the ripstop grid loading issue I mentioned above as well as some manufacturing issues. But such is life when you are pushing things a bit.

The Hybrid 1.2 fabric is an excellent primary sleeper but does you little good really vs your 1.1 current hammock.
    It is for this same line of reasoning that I discounted playing with the Membrane 15... .9 ounce doesn't buy you much on the scale compared to what you are losing to a 1.0 HyperD.

So... the biggest impact is the Membrane 10 and I would start there. No it isn't a 'bomber' piece of gear but like most UL gear it can be used.
    I have not tested it in 'chair mode' if that is a primary interest you may want to exercise some caution as that can create a bit more of a point load on the hammock fabric and may reduce it's lifespan.
    As mentioned- these were SUL sleepers not loungers. Though it sounds counter-intuitive; Lounging hammocks often see more abuse... so I would use it at home or car camping for a time until your confidence grew enough to trust it backpacking.

The 1.0 monolite doesn't buy you too much savings compared to your current setup... and if you expand the size slightly you'll even pick up some weight.

I may have a few Membrane 10 hammocks leftover if you are interested in purchasing one, though mine are in black which is not always the preferred color for a lounger.
    If I do... I would likely be willing to cut you a deal on it in exchange for testing feedback.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    Don't know much about those fabrics but I've been tempted to try an ultralight hammock for Summer/early Fall outings made from 1.0 Monolite. Might be another option for you.

1.0 Monolite Fabric

I made a Monolite hammock when the fabric first launched. I like it a lot. Extremely comfortable and at 8oz for an 11' hammock, it appeals to my gram weenie side. I've used it exclussively throughout the summer and just went back to my favorite 1.6 Hyper D.

I've used Membrane 10 for tarps.. can't imagine using that for a hammock, but heck.. give it a try. I'm curious to see how it works out.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts