Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    12' Dyneema Hex
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

What widths of hammock are best for what size people?

Hello everyone,

My primary interest in understanding widths is that I'm looking into getting a Dutchware Chameleon and I'm not sure if I want to get a standard (width not easy to find on their website) or a wide (width 68" according to website) version. These are both 11' hammocks. I am 6'1" tall and about 215lbs. I'm interested to know what people (especially those who are close to my height) find comfortable. I know that everyone is different, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to try this out before I purchase so I'm looking to get as much information as I can.

Does anyone around 6'1" have the standard or wide Chameleon? How tall are you and what is the length/width of your hammock and does it fit you well?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm 5'11" and 165 lbs., and I have a standard width Chameleon. In my experience, people who favor wide hammocks are truly wide people, with either large chests or large circumference. A friend of mine is my height, but 360 lbs., so I can see how he favors the wide. With your height and weight, I don't think you need a wide.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    It really depends on your preferences (surprise...), as well as hammock length and fabric stretch. The stretchier the fabric, the less diagonal you can lie because the sides will come up quite high. I always get the feeling of lying in a bathtub. You also won't be able to lie as diagonal in an 8' hammock as in a 12' hammock. Supposing the hammock is long enough and not too stretchy, the most width you could possibly use is a bit less than your body height, since you won't be able to lie completely perpendicular. How much space you need between your head and feet to the edge is mostly a matter of taste. Although it helps to have more width if the integrated bug net is cut tight.

I'm 5'4" and only use hammocks with very little stretch (70D if single layer). If weight is not an issue, I like extra wide hammocks (like 6'), but obviously I cannot use the complete width. It's just nice being able to lie wherever I want in the hammock, and also having an armrest. Also, pillows and quilts rarely fall out of a wide hammock in contrast to a regular hammock (I sleep in a hammock full-time).

When weight is an issue, I'm willing to go as narrow as 58" finished width, but not narrower. I'm actually very happy with the 61" width my Warbonnet hammocks provide. It's pretty much perfect for me. I'm never closer to the edges than I want, and still have a little wiggle room.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Someone here posted the other day that figuring out which hammock fits you is a lot like figuring out what shoes fit you. It's a great analogy. I love Asics, but I don't like Adidas. Same size, same style, different fit altogether.

My first hammock was a Hennessy Explorer. At 6'1" / 180 lbs, I found it to be very uncomfortable; it's too short and squeezes my shoulders. But I've read others on here that are bigger than me that really like the Explorer. I don't get it, but their comfort isn't dependent on my comprehension.

I have a standard-width Chameleon... I think you'd be fine with a standard-width hammock, but YMMV.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    5-9/170 here and DH Darien 10'/64" in Robic 1.7 and 1.2 work for me. But I'm also fine in a 1.0 Hexon Half-wit 10.5'/58".

Shoes are the best analogy... you never know until you try. It is that subjective.

And then there are all the little tweaks afterward to dial in optimal comfort. Lots of experimentation is the norm.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Just got an email... all Chameleons are 15% off. That doesn't help you decide on a width, but it's a good time to go with one or the other!

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    It really depends on your preferences (surprise...), as well as hammock length and fabric stretch. The stretchier the fabric, the less diagonal you can lie because the sides will come up quite high. I always get the feeling of lying in a bathtub. You also won't be able to lie as diagonal in an 8' hammock as in a 12' hammock. Supposing the hammock is long enough and not too stretchy, the most width you could possibly use is a bit less than your body height, since you won't be able to lie completely perpendicular. How much space you need between your head and feet to the edge is mostly a matter of taste. Although it helps to have more width if the integrated bug net is cut tight.

I'm 5'4" and only use hammocks with very little stretch (70D if single layer). If weight is not an issue, I like extra wide hammocks (like 6'), but obviously I cannot use the complete width. It's just nice being able to lie wherever I want in the hammock, and also having an armrest. Also, pillows and quilts rarely fall out of a wide hammock in contrast to a regular hammock (I sleep in a hammock full-time).

When weight is an issue, I'm willing to go as narrow as 58" finished width, but not narrower. I'm actually very happy with the 61" width my Warbonnet hammocks provide. It's pretty much perfect for me. I'm never closer to the edges than I want, and still have a little wiggle room.
    This was my rationale for wanting a wide Chameleon, but I've noticed a lot of people taller than me (I'm 5'6") saying a standard is just fine for them.

Has anyone gotten a wide and then wished they'd gotten a standard?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    EE TQ / AHO UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by mmachenry View Post
    Hello everyone,

My primary interest in understanding widths is that I'm looking into getting a Dutchware Chameleon and I'm not sure if I want to get a standard (width not easy to find on their website) or a wide (width 68" according to website) version. These are both 11' hammocks. I am 6'1" tall and about 215lbs. I'm interested to know what people (especially those who are close to my height) find comfortable. I know that everyone is different, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to try this out before I purchase so I'm looking to get as much information as I can.

Does anyone around 6'1" have the standard or wide Chameleon? How tall are you and what is the length/width of your hammock and does it fit you well?
    I am 6'1", 195lbs and have a standard Chameleon in 1.6 Hexon. I can sleep comfortable but do get a bit of calf ridge that I've worked on eliminating. I ordered a Chameleon wide this morning so I could let you know my experience when that arrives. Issue is, they have a 15% off going right now.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    I'm 5ft even and I prefer wide hammocks over standard. I had both my dream hammocks made out of hyperD XL and had them made wide as possible. I had a 58" and 60" hammocks before white they were comfortable I just prefer the wide hammocks better. probably because I started out with a grand trunk skeeter beeter pro and ENO doublenest and they are both wide hammock.
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    Chameleon wide
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    LL HabUQ, SSSerTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm at 6'/215. I went through the same when I ordered my Chameleon last year to replace my XLC. I saw similar posts as well with the consensus being a regular should be fine with some comments that a wide offered the potential for a little more comfort (and that I was similar to you in terms of where that line in the sand was). I decided to get the wide. I've only had a few nights in it but overall I felt it to be more comfortable than the XLC was. I keep debating on getting a standard width Dutch netless or RBTR kit to try out and compare. My guess though is that a regular width probably would have been fine for me. I guess the biggest thing I've noticed with the wide is the extra fabric creating higher 'walls' on the edges, which partially could be me not getting enough of a diagonal and also the extra fabric width.

Overall, I would tend to agree though that YMMV/personal preference/shoe analogy is in play here and that the best solution is to have both! ...and then you know!
    Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
    ~Bill Nye

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast