Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    wait a minute, this is not how it is going to go; we need to do a proper, detailed investigation here (FAA style). let's start with the forensic analysis of the break in the mentioned structural element that was mentioned. :P

joke aside, it does sound a bit like an aviation incident, where a lot of things need to align (badly) in order for actual trouble to occur.

eventhough i was half joking, i can't help myself:

- the main thing i see and would check thoroughly is the lashing on the bottom (foot end): it seems to me it might be too tight. the tensa design "likes" (to not say requires) complete freedom of movement in that joint. that freedom increases the strength of the whole assembly, by improving the ability of the beams themselves to withstand high loads (that's one of the things i find most beautiful about the tensa design, it is "self aligning")

- uv damage and paracord: i would retire the paracord to other uses, and replace it with new (ideally dyneema if you can spare it, because dyneema is known to be very uv resilient, but using paracord and replacing it periodically works too i reckon; the stretch of paracord is a really nice feature for this application); i understand it's still doing the job, but when it breaks, it might be unpleasant (and it will, after years exposed to UV, and with lashing which are possibly too tight, just not clear when)

- i'd still take a close look at the broken cross section, to get an idea of what state the wood is in after all this time. it's just intriguing (even if not worried). yeah, i know, i have issues ;)

in the end, the furry customer has approved the current state, so that's the most important thing. thanks for the update, long term reports are not so easy to come by

ps: ah, i'd probably also consider setting up an aerial line for the pups leash to run on, to avoid the risk of him getting caught in ground obstacles. it is doable with some rope and knots and stuff, so "it must be done" - sort of thing.
    Last edited by nanok; 05-03-2023 at 05:49.

Tarp
    Outdoor Skye 10x10
    Insulation
    JC Penny Throws
    Suspension
    daisy chain straps
    Quote Originally Posted by nanok View Post
    wait a minute, this is not how it is going to go; we need to do a proper, detailed investigation here (FAA style). let's start with the forensic analysis of the break in the mentioned structural element that was mentioned. :P

joke aside, it does sound a bit like an aviation incident, where a lot of things need to align (badly) in order for actual trouble to occur.

eventhough i was half joking, i can't help myself:

- the main thing i see and would check thoroughly is the lashing on the bottom (foot end): it seems to me it might be too tight. the tensa design "likes" (to not say requires) complete freedom of movement in that joint. that freedom increases the strength of the whole assembly, by improving the ability of the beams themselves to withstand high loads (that's one of the things i find most beautiful about the tensa design, it is "self aligning")

- uv damage and paracord: i would retire the paracord to other uses, and replace it with new (ideally dyneema if you can spare it, because dyneema is known to be very uv resilient, but using paracord and replacing it periodically works too i reckon; the stretch of paracord is a really nice feature for this application); i understand it's still doing the job, but when it breaks, it might be unpleasant (and it will, after years exposed to UV, and with lashing which are possibly too tight, just not clear when)

- i'd still take a close look at the broken cross section, to get an idea of what state the wood is in after all this time. it's just intriguing (even if not worried). yeah, i know, i have issues

in the end, the furry customer has approved the current state, so that's the most important thing. thanks for the update, long term reports are not so easy to come by

ps: ah, i'd probably also consider setting up an aerial line for the pups leash to run on, to avoid the risk of him getting caught in ground obstacles. it is doable with some rope and knots and stuff, so "it must be done" - sort of thing.
    Well, I will admit I wasn't home when it broke, so I don't know how it broke. But I do know that no one was in it, and it was in reach of the dog's leash/aerial run, and he has gotten tangled in it before. The break was clean, no evident rot. I have both head and foot ends loosely staked out so it can open up but not "taco" or bear trap me. So most likely scenario is that the dog got his lead wrapped around one pole and then pulled, and he is a husky so he can really PULL!! the foot dug into the ground and the pole, acting like a long handled lever, snapped at point of greatest force, which would be just above the fulcrum, or in this case the lashing.

ps. the dogs leash is tied to an aerial run to avoid ground obstacles, but since dog is shorter than the poles of the stand, he can walk around and thru the stand to wrap the line. I have the stand set up right on the edge of his leashes reach. with both head and foot loosely staked down. So I can shift it a couple feet to one side and he can't reach the stand (or me) or shift a couple feet to the other side and he can easily jump in and join me while reading a book.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123