Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tarp
    Outdoor Skye 10x10
    Insulation
    JC Penny Throws
    Suspension
    daisy chain straps
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    At $3.77, did you get them at Big Box - Home Depot or Lowes?

With that set up, you could still sleep next to your boat - don't have to go up on the bluff. But if it is ocean water, you may want a Tide Table ... just say'n.
    got them at Lowes. and where I generally paddle there is no shore, the bluff IS the shore. Maybe if I set the feet in the water and straddle the kayak so I hang over the kayak?? perhaps that might work I paddle in the tidal portion of the Potomac river and its tributaries, so the tide table is a must and I read it religiously. but good thought!

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

Just Another DIY Tensahedron Stand

Quote Originally Posted by wienerman View Post
    Maybe if I set the feet in the water and straddle the kayak so I hang over the kayak??
    I didn't see anywhere in this thread any info on how long your poles are (assuming 8'). My painter's poles are 8' when extended, and I wouldn't be able to do that. My UQ is pretty close to the ground when set up, and there's no clearance for a kayak... but I'm also using an 11' Chameleon. With a 9' hammock, you'll be higher off the water.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Dream Puff
    As far as a counter weight goes, I have been experimenting with an assymetric design that does away with the counter weight all together.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Did a quick check on local Lowes. My 2x2x8ft pressure treated would be 11 cents more, $3.88 for that smaller size 2x2. But I have two more options. They have 2x2x8ft that are 1.5x1.5x8ft. One item is $4.49, the other is $4.88 (or close to that - it's late and I'm too lazy to look again). One is categorized as #1, the other, more expensive, is #2 - is that a quality category. Unfortunately, in the photos anyway, the only one of the three that has rounded corners (if that matters) is the smaller 1.3 x 1.3 item for $3.88.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Tarp
    Outdoor Skye 10x10
    Insulation
    JC Penny Throws
    Suspension
    daisy chain straps
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Did a quick check on local Lowes. My 2x2x8ft pressure treated would be 11 cents more, $3.88 for that smaller size 2x2. But I have two more options. They have 2x2x8ft that are 1.5x1.5x8ft. One item is $4.49, the other is $4.88 (or close to that - it's late and I'm too lazy to look again). One is categorized as #1, the other, more expensive, is #2 - is that a quality category. Unfortunately, in the photos anyway, the only one of the three that has rounded corners (if that matters) is the smaller 1.3 x 1.3 item for $3.88.
    I guess prices fluctuate based on locale. as stated before, for me the pressure treated ones are $3.77. The untreated 1.5x1.5x8 actual that I was looking at are classified as Furring strips at $2.18. but I would have to search the entire pile thoroughly to find straight ones since it looks like a pile of wood spaghetti! there are high quality pine 2x2, with actual dimensions of 1.5x1.5, but they are in the $9 range at my store, and not rounded.

I did not choose the ones I choose because they were rounded but because they were pressure treated and it was easier to find relatively straight and knot-free. the extra $4 saved me 30-60 minutes of pile scrounging and having store employees looking at me like I escaped from my strait jacket!! the rounded corners are a side benefit that might be giving me fewer splinters. I do admit that I was a mite fearful that the narrower lumber (1.3125x1.3125 vs 1.5x1.5, leads to cross sections of 1.722 sqin and 2.25 sqin, which means the narrower poles have 75% of compression strength of the wider poles and probably a similar reduction in bending strength) but so far its holding me up during my taco avoidance practices!! have not yet had a chance to sleep in it yet, and probably won't for a few more weeks.
    Last edited by wienerman; 08-21-2019 at 09:12.

Just Another DIY Tensahedron Stand

I’m knot challenged and new. Can you detail the lashings and how you did that securely?

Edit: I also would like to know your thoughts on my weight with this set up. I’m 230lbs. Could you use 2x3’s ya think?
    Last edited by talon1974; 09-28-2019 at 11:38.

Tarp
    Outdoor Skye 10x10
    Insulation
    JC Penny Throws
    Suspension
    daisy chain straps
    Quote Originally Posted by talon1974 View Post
    I’m knot challenged and new. Can you detail the lashings and how you did that securely?

Edit: I also would like to know your thoughts on my weight with this set up. I’m 230lbs. Could you use 2x3’s ya think?
    Welcome to the forum! and thanks for asking about my stand! The thing to remember about my stand is that the primary design goals were that the stand had to be cheap, easy to assemble, and cheap! at $20 this is almost the cheapest way to build a tensa type stand. there are lots of "improvements" one can do by throwing more money and time in to the project.

Now to your questions!IMG_20190928_145946248_HDR.jpgIMG_20190928_145926576_HDR.jpgIMG_20190928_145917376_HDR.jpgIMG_20190928_143758609_HDR.jpg

Like you, I am knot challenged. Basically I took a 6' piece of paracord, wrapped it around the two sticks as tightly as I could and then tied the ends like tying my shoe. I detail my lashing technique in the pics. There are probably scores of members who will say that this is the wrong way of doing it, but I was trying for quick and dirty to see if the poles would hold my weight and the lashing only had to last an hour or so. I didn't want to waste an hour lashing the poles together and then have the poles snap as soon as I got in it. so I took 5 minutes to lash the poles and then gingerly got in it. the poles held! the stand has now been set up in the front yard for over a month and the lashings are still holding. I only had to tighten a couple of the lashings since I initially built it. the proper way to lash the poles together is probably this way: https://www.animatedknots.com/shear-lashing-knot, and I may switch to that in the future. but my method does have the benefit of being able to undo and redo the lashings at will. for example, I had to undo one of the lashings to take the above pics!!

as for weight, the poles I am using are the treated 2x2s from Lowes. they are actually 1.3x1.3 and they hold my 200lbs easily and wife said the poles don't flex as I get in and squirm around in the hammock. so they should be fine for you too. but you have to get poles that are nearly perfectly straight and no knots. knots in the ends may be ok as there is very little force on them there. if you want just a bit more leeway, go to the untreated 2x2s which are actually 1.5x1.5 which gives you about 25% more wood.

Did I answer your questions or did I miss the mark? feel free to ask more questions!!

I made one other day. It held. I used 2x2’s. I had trouble with my lashing slipping so I added zip ties above and below where I lashed. That held it.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by wienerman View Post
    Welcome to the forum! and thanks for asking about my stand! The thing to remember about my stand is that the primary design goals were that the stand had to be cheap, easy to assemble, and cheap! at $20 this is almost the cheapest way to build a tensa type stand. there are lots of "improvements" one can do by throwing more money and time in to the project.

Now to your questions!IMG_20190928_145946248_HDR.jpgIMG_20190928_145926576_HDR.jpgIMG_20190928_145917376_HDR.jpgIMG_20190928_143758609_HDR.jpg

Like you, I am knot challenged. Basically I took a 6' piece of paracord, wrapped it around the two sticks as tightly as I could and then tied the ends like tying my shoe. I detail my lashing technique in the pics. There are probably scores of members who will say that this is the wrong way of doing it, but I was trying for quick and dirty to see if the poles would hold my weight and the lashing only had to last an hour or so. I didn't want to waste an hour lashing the poles together and then have the poles snap as soon as I got in it. so I took 5 minutes to lash the poles and then gingerly got in it. the poles held! the stand has now been set up in the front yard for over a month and the lashings are still holding. I only had to tighten a couple of the lashings since I initially built it. the proper way to lash the poles together is probably this way: https://www.animatedknots.com/shear-lashing-knot, and I may switch to that in the future. but my method does have the benefit of being able to undo and redo the lashings at will. for example, I had to undo one of the lashings to take the above pics!!

as for weight, the poles I am using are the treated 2x2s from Lowes. they are actually 1.3x1.3 and they hold my 200lbs easily and wife said the poles don't flex as I get in and squirm around in the hammock. so they should be fine for you too. but you have to get poles that are nearly perfectly straight and no knots. knots in the ends may be ok as there is very little force on them there. if you want just a bit more leeway, go to the untreated 2x2s which are actually 1.5x1.5 which gives you about 25% more wood.

Did I answer your questions or did I miss the mark? feel free to ask more questions!!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    wienerman, It's been a few months. Please share what you ended up with dimension-wise. How wide is your base? What is the distance between end connecting points (or height of end points above ground), how long was your hammock? How high (seat height) above ground? Too bad those 2 x 2 (-ish) seem to only appear in 8 ft lengths - at least around here. I'll look one more time for something in 10 ft length.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Tarp
    Outdoor Skye 10x10
    Insulation
    JC Penny Throws
    Suspension
    daisy chain straps
    Whelp, its been a coupe of...years(!!??) since I was on this forum! Thought I'd give an update to my ultra cheap and simple tensa-style hammock stand. After 3.5 years of being left out in the sun and rain and snow and general neglect and abuse, it finally broke. But not because of hanging in it. Not because the cheap paracord form Lowes stretched or failed. No, it was worse than that. The dog broke it by getting his wire cable lead wrapped in it and then the UPS truck pulls into the driveway and WHAM, the line cleanly snaps the foot off of one of the 2x2s!! So, I took out the spare 2x2 that I bought 4 years ago and undid the lashings, replaced the broken 2x2 and relashed it together using the same old paracord. And now me and the puppers is back to chillin and hangin. IMG_20230401_140418831_HDR.jpgIMG_20230401_140423846_HDR.jpgIMG_20230423_155819560.jpgIMG_20230429_180803307.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast