Introducing the RSU: a no sew diy underquilt that keeps your butt warm on the cheap!

I thought I would share a cheap underquilt design that I came up with. The RSU, or Random **** Underquilt, is made to be as inexpensive of an underquilt as possible, ideal for hammockers on a budget. Varying the blanket used can accommodate a wide range of temperature preferences. The full album on how it was made can be found here: http://imgur.com/gallery/8ASL3s0

Here is a couple of pictures of how the finished product looks:

20190815_205649.jpg

20190814_231431.jpg

Happy hanging!
    Last edited by OrganicLife; 08-17-2019 at 23:25.

I've tried similar things with various fleece blankets. From your photos and my own experience, it looks like you need to add some way to cinch the ends closed to prevent drafts. With my current PLUQ (poncho liner under quilt) I just poked holes in the ends and ran some shock cord through it and use a cordlock to cinch the ends. It makes a huge difference. Not sure how to do that with a fleece.

By the way, I love the stand in the second photo. Nice job on that.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    I made an underquilt from a fleece blanket for home use. I whipped the ends of the blanket with some cord, and used some strong shockcord to attach the whipped ends to the hammock suspension.

The goal is have the length of everything so that the shockcord slightly lifts the hammock when you're not in it, and thus when you get in it the shockcord stretches and snugs the UQ up to the hammock.

Mine works perfectly, but I was a little surprised at how little warmth I get from the thick fleece compared to my usual 40 deg down UQ. I use the fleece when the temps are above about 65.

Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    I've tried similar things with various fleece blankets. From your photos and my own experience, it looks like you need to add some way to cinch the ends closed to prevent drafts. With my current PLUQ (poncho liner under quilt) I just poked holes in the ends and ran some shock cord through it and use a cordlock to cinch the ends. It makes a huge difference. Not sure how to do that with a fleece.

By the way, I love the stand in the second photo. Nice job on that.
    Great idea on closing the ends of the quilt up, Ill update the post to include that fix. Also, thank you for the kind words on the stands!

Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post
    I made an underquilt from a fleece blanket for home use. I whipped the ends of the blanket with some cord, and used some strong shockcord to attach the whipped ends to the hammock suspension.

The goal is have the length of everything so that the shockcord slightly lifts the hammock when you're not in it, and thus when you get in it the shockcord stretches and snugs the UQ up to the hammock.

Mine works perfectly, but I was a little surprised at how little warmth I get from the thick fleece compared to my usual 40 deg down UQ. I use the fleece when the temps are above about 65.
    Yeah I think not tensioning the ends of the RSU is a mistake, Ill fix that today for sure. And yes, the fleece is indeed pretty bad at keeping warmth compared to down. My hopes in this quilt is that people can use a down blanket in place of the fleece if they was a winter quilt.

Ok guys, I have updated the deaign to include the draft protection. Here are some pics that show how I did it:

20190818_143737.jpg

20190818_145003.jpg

20190818_145343.jpg
    Last edited by OrganicLife; 08-19-2019 at 06:27.

Tarp
    Outdoor Skye 10x10
    Insulation
    JC Penny Throws
    Suspension
    daisy chain straps
    I did something similar to a cheap sleeping bag, slowly adding clews to the ends to gradually snug up the end of the bag around the hammock. initially I stuffed marbles into the fabric and wrapped cord around it, later replaced with grograin and kamsnaps for a more permanent solution.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts