Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Still Looking
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle

Cedar Ridge UP or HG Econ Incubator

Howdy All,

First time UQ buyer here. I am looking at the Cedar Ridge UP and the HG Econ. Both 20 degree. I was wondering if anyone has experience with the Cedar Ridge UP? I see lots of info and reviews for the HG, but not the Cedar Ridge. If anyone has had both, pros and cons please. Or if anyone has the Cedar Ridge UP, pros and cons please.

Blessings,

Jtidesmith

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    One is duck down...the HG.
    The CR UP is synthetic.
    So that is a big difference right there.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I have a Cedar Ridge goose down 20* UQ and it’s been exceptional. I’m changing over to a mostly bridge setup, so I have it for listed in the for sale forum if you’re interested.

But either way, both vendors have very good track records.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't need to be able to compress the UQ as much as down allows and you don't mind a bit of extra weight, there's certainly an argument for considering synthetic. If you think synthetic suits your needs, a few vendors offer such UQs.

It sounds like you're just starting out. If you get totally hooked, you'll probably end up buying more hammocks and insulation over time and might even end up with high-end, premium down quilts!

BTW, starting with a 20 degree UQ is a great idea.

Hammock
    Safari XXL
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Still Looking
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Thanks Shug! I understand the difference. I guess my question should've been which performs better? One is $135 and the other can exceed $200 easily. So budget is a factor.

Hammock
    Safari XXL
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Still Looking
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I'll have to check that out. I was looking at the synthetic one on dutch's site. How does yours compare?

Hammock
    Safari XXL
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Still Looking
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    If you don't need to be able to compress the UQ as much as down allows and you don't mind a bit of extra weight, there's certainly an argument for considering synthetic. If you think synthetic suits your needs, a few vendors offer such UQs.

It sounds like you're just starting out. If you get totally hooked, you'll probably end up buying more hammocks and insulation over time and might even end up with high-end, premium down quilts!

BTW, starting with a 20 degree UQ is a great idea.
    Thanks for the insight. Yes, I'm definitely just beginning. O have everything except insulation.

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtidesmith13 View Post
    Thanks for the insight. Yes, I'm definitely just beginning. O have everything except insulation.
    Arrowhead Equipment (AHE) and Simply Light Designs (SLD) have some good synthetic options to get you started. The AHE Jarbidge or New River are good budget UQs, and the SLD Trail Winder insulated UQP has been a big topic of discussion recently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtidesmith13 View Post
    Thanks Shug! I understand the difference. I guess my question should've been which performs better? One is $135 and the other can exceed $200 easily. So budget is a factor.
    Where are you getting that pricing? The Convector is $135, and the Econ Incubator is $179.95, according to their websites. So the down Incubator costs basically 25% ($44.95) more, weighs 16% less (25.45 vs. 30 ounces) and is probably 20 to 30% more compressible.

Compressibility is a huge selling point for me. If one quilt takes up 20% to 30% less room in my backpack, that's major. Also, from a warmth perspective, I'll take down over synthetic any day. Down warms up quick. While all my quilts are HG Premium water-resistant goose down, I used to own non-water-resistant goose down quilts and only upgraded to water-resistant because I felt that was the only area that synthetic might be superior. However, I've never gotten my down quilts wet enough to affect my warmth, so I'm not sure it was worth the upgrade.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    JrB+Cedar Ridge UP
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    I purchased a 20 degree cedar ridge UP underquilt (my first) a few weeks back from dutchware and have used it a total of four night so far with my chameleon. Low temps ranged from the upper 60's to the lower 50's and has worked great so far. I have another trip this weekend by ORR, MN with lows predicted in the upper 40's. That trip is my wife's first hammock camping and I also purchased her the same 20 degree UP quilt to user with her new chameleon.. I paired my UP with a Sierra Sniveller 20 down topquilt because I needed it quick and JacksRbetter had them in stock and ready to ship. I have no regrets with the down sniveller.

Part of my reason for buying synthetic was that I only do canoe camping so far and didn't really care too much for the extra packability of down, although I hope to try that out next year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast