Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps

VIDEO: One of Idaho's unknown gems: The Mallard Larkins

Late July, 2019.

We were trying to decide where to go and finally settled on the Mallard Larkins Pioneer Area in North Idaho. We did a trip here 3 years ago and the place blew my mind. While not being far from civilization when you look at a map, being there is another story. As the crow flies the trailhead is maybe 40 miles from where I live. To get there though, takes about 3 hours.

The stats for this trip would put this in the category of a moderate hike for me. Less than 10 miles per day, less than 2000' gain per day. Somehow hiking here feels a lot tougher than that.

From the trailhead we dropped steeply into Sawtooth Creek then started working our way up the other side. We departed from the Northbound Creek trail, taking the Martin Creek trail instead. The trail from the creek to the junction with Skyland Lake was brushy, but not too bad.

We camped our first night at Skyland Lake. The main campsite there is nice and large and we had no problem finding trees for all of us (5 hammocks) to hang from.

We set out the next morning up the Martin Creek trail looking to get up to the Heart Pass trail. We lost the trail shortly out of camp. We bushwhacked up the hill and stumbled in to it again. It was a brushy hike up to the ridge, but we managed to get up there and only lost the trail a couple times.

From there was ridge walked the Heart Pass trail over to the Heart Lake cutoff and down to the lake. Though it was a ridge walk, there was still plenty of climbing to get there.

The next morning the mosquitos had massed and executed a full assault on our camp. It was some of the worst I've seen. We packed up and got out of there as quickly as we could.

We hiked back up to the Heart Pass trail and backtracked our route from the day before. We passed the Martin Creek Junction where we had come up the day before and continued on to the Mallard Peak Lookout. The views from the lookout were spectacular! I love getting to check out old lookouts, the Mallard Peak lookout dates back to the 1930's.

From the lookout we continued on to Fawn Lake which might've been the most scenic of them all.

The next day we were hiking out. We started off by losing the trail right away. After some searching and bushwhacking we found it again. It seemed like a repeat of hiking out of Skyland Lake, except it seemed like this brush was fighting back!

Eventually we made it down to the Northbound Creek trail. We cameled up at Sawtooth Creek and made the hike back up to the saddle to complete our trip.

Thanks for checking out my report, here's the video:

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Another great video & looks like a fun trip.

Thanks for posting.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Excellent report and video as usual. I envy you have that many backpacking friends and that beautiful area to share with them. Thanks for sharing.

Senior Member mountain wanderer's Avatar
    Hammock
    Simply Light Designs - Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    Another great video & looks like a fun trip.

Thanks for posting.
    I edited out all of the pained expressions when we were bushwhacking.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Excellent report and video as usual. I envy you have that many backpacking friends and that beautiful area to share with them. Thanks for sharing.
    Everyone but one person on this trip is family. When I first started really making videos I had a very hard time finding people who wanted to go. So I just started going alone and found that I loved it. I am lucky enough now that I have quite a few people who want to go backpacking with me. I suppose that I can thank you tube for some of that.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Sometimes, beautiful places take some effort to get too....enjoyed your wander with the Mountain Wanderers.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Images
    Wonderful video, thanks for sharing! This area was a bit different from most of the western mountains I have hiked in, but every bit as beautiful! Seemed sort of like a blend of the Appalachians and the Rockies!

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by ofuros View Post
    Sometimes, beautiful places take some effort to get too....enjoyed your wander with the Mountain Wanderers.
    It really seems to be the case. Maybe you just appreciate it more when you have to work harder to get there. Thanks for checking it out!

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Wonderful video, thanks for sharing! This area was a bit different from most of the western mountains I have hiked in, but every bit as beautiful! Seemed sort of like a blend of the Appalachians and the Rockies!
    I hope to get to hike in the Appalachians some day. Maybe I'll hike the length of them.

Absolutely gorgeous area man! Heart lake looks like a heart breaker for sure Really dig your videos and storytelling commentary thanks for sharing. Any luck with the gold pan? My son and I had a blast doing that when we visited Colorado

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by NOBOZax View Post
    Absolutely gorgeous area man! Heart lake looks like a heart breaker for sure Really dig your videos and storytelling commentary thanks for sharing. Any luck with the gold pan? My son and I had a blast doing that when we visited Colorado

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
    Thank you! No, he didn't pan much and didn't see any color. The pan was used more for rolling dice in than finding gold.

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Beautiful area, cool video - looked like some tough bushwhacking! Thanks for sharing

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast