Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Looking for someone to make a dyneema snake skin for me please

Hey everyone!

I just got back from camping on Steens Mountain and Alvord desert, Oregon, with my motorcycle, Tensa solo, Dream Hammock Darien, UGQ quilts, and Outdoor Vitals tarp. I had a lot of fun riding around the desert at night (pulling the fuses to the lights so that my motorcycle was blacked out and I could use night vision to get around)...until I returned to camp and discovered that a windstorm had pulled one of my tarp's titanium stakes out of the ground, and the stake whipped around like a medieval weapon and shredded the tarp and put some holes in my Darien bug mesh. It was exciting trying to get things under control in a veritable desert hurricane. (My hammock and underquilt looked like the sail on a boat in the American Cup...thank goodness they didn't detach and fly across the desert, which is about 15 miles long....)

So, the good news: Now I finally have a reason to justify buying a dyneema tarp (which I just got used from a fellow forum member, thanks MikekiM!!)

The lesson learned: When I'm away from camp, I plan on keeping my tarp and hammock in snake skins, so even if a hurricane strikes, they should be okay. The tarp came with a mesh snake skin, but I'd like to have a dyneema snake skin made to accommodate the hammock and quilts. Is anyone on the forum up to the task?

Here's what I'm looking for: I would like to have a one-piece hammock sleeve made from lightweight dyneema (either 0.34 or 0.5 oz...whatever you recommend). The sleeve should be similar to HG's mesh sleeve (12' long and tapered...see https://www.hammockgear.com/mesh-sleeve/), but it needs to be a little wider in order to accommodate my hammock and quilts (I'm guessing the sleeve needs to be approximately 12" to 15" wide...I'd rather have it a little loose rather than too tight). The sleeve needs to be waterproof, so the seems needs to be taped. I plan on using the sleeve during the day when I'm out hiking...so if it's really windy or rainy while I'm gone, I don't have to worry about my hammock getting damaged, wet, or shredded by flying titanium spikes.

If anyone is down to do this project for me, let's talk! (Please let me know that the cost and lead time will be, and whether you have any questions).

Thanks so much in advance!

- Cliff

IMG_5729.jpg

IMG_6644.jpg

IMG_5654.jpg

IMG_5312.jpg

IMG_5253.jpg

IMG_5184.jpg

IMG_4808.jpg

IMG_4416.jpg

IMG_4356.jpg

IMG_4196.jpg

IMG_4125.jpg

IMG_4109.jpg

IMG_4055.jpg

IMG_6550.jpg
    Last edited by Cliffy; 08-12-2019 at 19:58.

Images

Images
    Can't help with your project(no Dyneema experience) but really cool photos! What lake is that? Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Cliffy, I don't have anything to recommend for your request, but just had to comment on your pictures. What a fantastic trip! Great, GREAT pictures.

This scenery is one of the reasons I love camping/hiking/visiting the desert; there is endless scenery, and almost every color of the spectrum no matter where you look. The desert has it's own special feeling and spirit to it too, and it's magical. Without philosofying(sp?) too much, I think the desert, more than anywhere else, gives us the opportunity to 'tune-in' to the spirit of our ancestors. Hippy/tree-hugger mode off.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    Can't help with your project(no Dyneema experience) but really cool photos! What lake is that? Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks! Wildhorse lake, Steens Mountain, Oregon. Really amazing place.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    Cliffy, I don't have anything to recommend for your request, but just had to comment on your pictures. What a fantastic trip! Great, GREAT pictures.

This scenery is one of the reasons I love camping/hiking/visiting the desert; there is endless scenery, and almost every color of the spectrum no matter where you look. The desert has it's own special feeling and spirit to it too, and it's magical. Without philosofying(sp?) too much, I think the desert, more than anywhere else, gives us the opportunity to 'tune-in' to the spirit of our ancestors. Hippy/tree-hugger mode off.
    Thanks, Crazytown! I totally agree...the desert is what I'm always drawn to. The United States has some pretty amazing off-the-beaten-track deserts, too. And...Utah happens to be one of my favorite places, too! So much variety and eye-candy there...amazing shapes and colors and hidden gems. Twenty years ago I did a Boulder Outdoor Survival School "Hunter Gatherer"...two weeks of living off the land in the Escalante National Monument (see https://www.theexpeditioner.com/word...es-on-my-back/). Have done some more exploring around Utah since then, too...really wonderful place.

Cheers to the desert! And happy desert hammocking!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    I returned your P.M.

Great images. Oregon certainly has someting for every taste and mostly within a days ride or drive.
    Thanks, Ironfish! Will respond to your PM shortly. Yes, Oregon is pretty awesome. Looks like you live in a great location, too!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    SLD winter haven
    Insulation
    Loco Ghost/Reaper
    Suspension
    Myers
    Super late to the party here, but did you ever get a solution to this? Thanks!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Them some purdy pictures! Hope you found something that works. If not, I recall seeing this on the SLD site: https://simplylightdesigns.com/colle...catch-all-sack. Not dyneema, but they do have waterproof sil fabrics.

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    Love the photos.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast