Tarp
    HH Hex Asym
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    HH Stock w/rings

Bug Mesh repair

Hey all,

I accidentally tore a hole in the bugnet of my hennessy. The hole is right on the ridgeline and maybe 1inch by 1.5 inch. I was hoping that some of you DIYers might be able to recommend a way to repair it

IMG_20190811_171033905[1].jpg

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fgignac View Post
    Hey all,

I accidentally tore a hole in the bugnet of my hennessy. The hole is right on the ridgeline and maybe 1inch by 1.5 inch. I was hoping that some of you DIYers might be able to recommend a way to repair it

IMG_20190811_171033905[1].jpg
    Gorilla tape - that or sew over with some ripstop

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

I see you are in Quebec, this is at Home Hardware https://www.homehardware.ca/en/scree...=1525535418547
    Relatively elegant, I've used some on my Eureka cvs tarp mesh.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    You can take needle and thread and "darn" the hole. Make a series of side-by-side stitches from the undamaged area around the hole across the hole to the other side. Then do the same perpendicular to the first set. (Think of cross-hatching.) The biggest downside for me when I have done this is that I would always think that there was a big bug on my netting, if I saw it out of the corner of my eye!

Hammock
    HH Expedition Classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex Asym
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    HH Stock w/rings
    Quote Originally Posted by s martin View Post
    I see you are in Quebec, this is at Home Hardware https://www.homehardware.ca/en/scree...=1525535418547
    Relatively elegant, I've used some on my Eureka cvs tarp mesh.
    I had though of using something like that. How flexible is it? And how well does it stick? What worries me is that the hole is right on my ridgeline so the repair needs to be able to stand up to a little abuse since it will rub when I move around in the hammock and will have some tension on it when I use the hammock as a chair

Hammock
    HH Expedition Classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex Asym
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    HH Stock w/rings
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    You can take needle and thread and "darn" the hole. Make a series of side-by-side stitches from the undamaged area around the hole across the hole to the other side. Then do the same perpendicular to the first set. (Think of cross-hatching.) The biggest downside for me when I have done this is that I would always think that there was a big bug on my netting, if I saw it out of the corner of my eye!
    I contacted Hennessy CS and this is actually what they recommended doing. How well do you think this would stand up to rubbing on the ridgeline when I move around in the hammock? Any particular type of thread you would recommend?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    I'd use polyester "outdoor" thread (such as Mara, but there are other brands), the stuff folks use to sew hammocks & tarps. I would think it would last as long (or perhaps longer) than the netting itself!

It looks like a reasonably large hole. The suave fix would likely be the sew it fix as suggested. I'm not sure I'd have the patience or skills for that, if you can give it a go. If you want the more ugly but easy way out.... the home hardware stuff is pretty tough, it has stuck really well to the Eureka cvs mesh we have for going on two years. I think it would take the rubbing from the ridgeline. Keep the bugs at bay ! cheers

Images
    This is a simple 15 minute job with needle and black thread. I have repaired much worse. Little if any skill required.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex Asym
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    HH Stock w/rings
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    This is a simple 15 minute job with needle and black thread. I have repaired much worse. Little if any skill required.
    I have no doubt that it is quite simple and easy. I just have very little experience with sewing in any form and I'm worried I'm going to make it worse, rather than better. But I think I'm going to take your and P-Dub's advice and give it a try. That way I can learn a new skill at the same time

By the way. My wife really enjoys the Gemini quilt I made for her following your instructions. Thank you so much for the detailed write-up and illustrations. It was fun to make, and it works like a charm

What type of stitch do you think I should be using to fix my hole? P-Dub suggested I darn it and this is what Hennessy CS recommended:

"All we would do is pin the mesh in a couple of places and begin by tying the thread at one end of the break to anchor it. Then we would use a looping "whip" stitch to bring the broken edges together again."

Any thoughts on which method is preferable?
    Last edited by Fgignac; 08-14-2019 at 15:07. Reason: Typo

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast