Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

please help, buying new top quilt and underquilt warbonnet wookie/diamondback or hammockgear

i have been using a blackbird xlc which i like. ( i actually have 3 of these as i take one of my kids usually, so i need to order 2 unders and 2 tops) i bought a yeti underquilt and a mamba top quilt a couple years ago, both are rated at 20 degrees i do believe. the yeti is kind of a 3/4 or even less underquilt. been using it at maybe 7000 ft elevation in nevada and when some wind comes up, i get a little chilled. although the temps probably are not even under 50 degrees.

no need to point out i am a big 55 y/o baby, i get it.

so i am getting ready to order like OMG a 2500$ order on warbonnet, i can't believe it came to that much but it all has to be custom. i am ordering 2 wookie underquilts and 2 custom diamondbacks.

how are the wookies working for other blackbird owners, would anyone use the more rectangular, larger other company under quilts?

i think the big prob was the short underquilt. i think the wookies should help, i got one at 0 degrees and one at scandanavian plus some over fill on both.

i noticed the top quilts at hammock gear are a bit cheaper and ship sooner. i am going to be sleeping out in november at elavation here in nevada and i want to be WARM!!!!! so i was going to order a custom diamond back, -20 degrees (the scandanavian model) with all the accessories and some overfill and for my son i was ordering the 0 degree with zipper/drawstring footbox just to try it out.

but while the wookie is custom for the blackbird, a top quilt is a top quilt sort of. i've read some reviews, tough to decide either way, they both seem so even, hammockgear vs warbonnet. why would warbonnet seem to be running more. the scandanavian in xl, 55" wide with 950 down and accessories is 686$ and the other diamondback at 0 deg with zippered foot box, 950 down, xl version 55" wide is 495

will i be sweating in the scandanavian set up even though i am cold blooded in say 15 degrees with wind?

and i am getting the wookies in corresponding temps as well. i go a lot more than my kids so this will give me some choices in temps.

it seems like hammock gear and warbonnet are about the only choices, maybe the warbonnet isn't more expensive, it does come with a draft collar and other cool stuff.

is the zippered footbox a good idea,, i foolishly picture myself wrapped up in while glassing for deer,

any input apprciated

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I am a very satisfied Warbonnet system user - emphasis on "system" since everything is designed to work together by how the components are shaped and the choice of materials. Other TQs will work with a WBBB as will other types of UQs as attested by forum members, but I can't imagine how any of those will be an actual improvement over the Warbonnet system - unless your sole goal is to spend less money. However, it seems that one of your goals is to be absolutely sure that you will stay warm.

Would it help if I said that I slept snug and toasty in my WBBB XLC at -26° by stacking a 0° Wooki UQ with a 20° Wooki UQ inside a canvas sock from Molly Mac Gear? I also had my 0° Mamba TQ stacked with a 20° Mamba TQ. The canvas sock is a great windblocker which creates a warmer microclimate in temps below 20°. The colder it gets, the better it works since most of the condensation migrates to the outer side of the canvas. Moisture goes out and wind can't come in. If you can stack quilts when solo, you may not need the Scandinavian model and can use the savings to purchase a canvas sock which is a key component of an extreme cold weather system.

Another point in favor of the Warbonnet system is that I was able to set up a Tato stand and attach all of the components to the stand and to each other while wearing bulky ice fishing mitts (not gloves) during that polar vortex event. Didn't need to expose my fingers to the elements!

Hopefully, I haven't confused your purchase decisions, but perhaps supplied some extra things to consider for your overall system. I like to challenge myself in cold weather (gets me out of the house), but I don't like to be uncomfortable if I can avoid it.
    Last edited by Watertooner; 08-11-2019 at 08:28.
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    Chameleon/TE Happy Medium/SG
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rockwind1 View Post

i noticed the top quilts at hammock gear are a bit cheaper and ship sooner.
    FYI, I ordered a custom DiamondBack top quilt from Warbonnet on July 17th and it shipped August 2nd. So the turnaround time there was 2 1/2 weeks for me, not too much longer than Hammock Gear's.

thanks for the help and ideas on stacking which i had not thought of plus the canvas sock,,, is that way better than the sock from warbonnet? for cold and windy? i am not in wisconsin but i am skinny, cold blooded, and in central nevada, it can get super cold with the north winds.

and you did not confuse me,,, that was already handled a long time ago.

i will stay optimistic!

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    and for my son i was ordering the 0 degree with zipper/drawstring footbox just to try it out.
    No way would I order a 0° with a zippered footbox... Nearing those temps, I'd want to be as warm as possible and that means sewn footbox.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    No way would I order a 0° with a zippered footbox... Nearing those temps, I'd want to be as warm as possible and that means sewn footbox.
    I second this. When ordering anything below about a 30° quilt I'd highly recommend a sewn footbox. I'm really surprised this model is even offered with anything other than sewn.

it seems like hammock gear and warbonnet are about the only choices,
    ...any input apprciated

Loco Libre Gear is another great vendor that offers fully custom sub zero top and under quilts.

They offer unique designs that help keep the down where it belongs, which is especially helpful during those really cold nights.

George's quilts are well worth the wait, and he is easy the deal with.

Check them out at: locolibregear.com

Hammock
    WBBB XLC single layer in blue
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0* Wooki
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    +1 on the Diamondback and the Wooki. I've got a 0* Diamondback and a 0* Wooki, and have been out in 0* temps and was warm. As stated above, theirs is a "system" that works AMAZINGLY well. In my opinion, you can't go wrong choosing them. I've never been disappointed with anything from Warbonnet.

i also got to thinking about a vented footbox and decided it was not a good idea, i changed my order. thanks, ordered all warbonnet stuff, hopefully it gets done sooner than expected, looked at the nacho libre stuff, sure seems nice but it's like 5 or 6 weeks out. i would like it sooners . thanks for all help

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast